PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian, Grand Floridian or split stay?

wmdaddy
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
We currently have the split stay option booked for July. We're spending the first 8 nights at the Poly (which we've stayed at a few times already), and the remaining 8 nights at the GF (which I myself stayed at for only 2 nights.) It will be myself, my wife, and 3 boys (4, 4, 10). I know the boys like the Poly, but I think my wife will really love the GF. I personally hate unpacking, packing, then unpacking again. Of the 3, which would you do?

rjmdds
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
WOW! 16 nights! That sounds wonderful. We personally love the Grand Floridian, but given the 16 nights, I would definitely split it up. It will be like a whole new vacation. As great as the GF and Polynesian are individually, I think it would be fantastic to swith it up midway due to the length of your stay!
Have fun!!

mook3y
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
had to go with Poly. We booked 14 nights there in Sept. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
If it were a short stay I would say stay put at the Poly but with that long of a vacation I think it would be neat to stay at two resorts because it would almost seem like getting two separate vacations....

darthmacho
02-01-2011, 08:48 AM
If you can afford both, and don't mind moving during the week, I can't see any reason not to enjoy the best of both worlds. The best part is that they are close, so all you have to do is have your luggage sent, and hop onto the monorail and you're there!

Have a great time. :mickey:

RAIDER
02-01-2011, 08:56 AM
As Ron Burgundy would say ..."When in Rome":D

I would go for the split if i had the chance :thumbsup:

Mousemates
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
I'd do a split stay...it would kind of reset your vacation about half-way through and give you a nice change of pace. We've stayed at both and enjoyed each of them very much, but they do have very different vibes.

JabberJaws
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah I would say do the split since you are going to be there so long. Poly is my favorite resort, but w/ that much time it would be nice to split it up for a change of pace. I personally am not too fond of the GF (I am more of a laid-back type and don't like the more stiff, stuffy atmosphere of GF) so if it were me I would probably split between Poly and a non-MK loop deluxe like AKL, Y&B Club, or the BW (can't beat the location of the BW). I would think that a competely different location like one of these would make it feel even more like a different vacation.

Just my :twocents: though. Not really any way to go long w/ that many days at WDW!!

tnpoohbear
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
WOW that is great! I would definitely split it between the two resorts. I have stayed at the GF twice and it is lovely, never stayed at the Poly but it is on my list. Switching resorts is really easy we have done it. Since they are so close together it will be easy. You just pack up your stuff and call bell sevices they get it and it is delivered to your next resort. I hope you enjoy your trip!:mickey:

johnO
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, since youre going to be there so long, I'd split the stay, that way you can experience both.

SBETigg
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I voted for the split stay, but I'm reconsidering because you said you hate the packing/unpacking. It's for a long enough time that you really could enjoy both and not be too hassled by the switch perhaps. On the other hand, they are so close that you can take advantage of restaurants, shopping, and some of the ambience of both just by staying at one and visiting the other-- so maybe there's no need for the switch. The Grand Floridian is my favorite of the two, but my kids prefer the Polynesian (though we all love both resorts). You can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

mouseketeer mom
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
There was a time I would've said split stay, but I'm over that. The unpacking, repacking, unpacking, repacking again is tough, especially with kids and settling into the resort. Things accumulate too during the week, and its always more work than you think, and time. I'm all for settling in and staying put at a resort we love now.

AllDisney
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd go for the split. It's going to be like 2 different vacations:thumbsup:

CaptSmee
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
16 nights?!?! WOW!!! :cloud9:

johnO
02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
16 nights?!?! WOW!!! :cloud9:

Yeah Im sayin' the same thing....and thinking I need to find a new job.....

Cinderelley
02-02-2011, 02:44 AM
I would stay at the Polynesian the whole time, and then take your wife on a trip with just the two of you staying at the GF.;)

CU Tiger
02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I am a Poly fan and not as much of a GF fan, so I would stick to Poly.:mickey:

JayCT
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Personally the Poly is my favorite resort. I love the atmosphere. But we regularly stay at the Yacht Club now because the pool (Stormalong Bay) is the best on the property. It has slides, whirlpools, a lazy river and stuff for just about any age. My kids love it. You can walk to Epcot, take a boat to Hollywood Studios and enjoy the great restaurants at Boardwalk.

I would split my stay between GF for your wife and either the Yacht Club or Beach Club (which shares Stormalong Bay with YC) for the kids. Just a suggestion. Jay

Mom2princesses
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
The Poly is definitely my favorite but a split stay sounds tempting since you are staying so long.

PrettyMinnie
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer to "settle in" to a resort for the time I am there. Half way through I wouldn't want to pack up 8 days of souvenirs, clothing and toiletries to go unpack them again. Both resorts are beautiful and I'm sure you would enjoy a split stay, but it does seem like a bit of work when you could be relaxing. It's personal preference.

johnO
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Really, how hard would it be to pack up the suitcases?

I could accomplish this task VERY quickly! :thumbsup:

dumbo ears
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
i voted for poly all nights just because i havent heard good things about GF. but i havent stayed at either so i dont the best opinion. but i both would prolly be great places to stay

LudwigVonDrake
02-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I love the Polynesian. So laid back and relaxing. I would love to stay there for two weeks :tikki:

wmdaddy
02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Really, how hard would it be to pack up the suitcases?

I could accomplish this task VERY quickly! :thumbsup:

1 person - Not hard at all.

5 people, including 3 kids with a week's worth of stuff accumulated - Pain in the neck.

Tigerinvestigator
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I cannot imagine being able to stay at the Poly for 16 straight days!!! But if I could I definately would. We've stayed at both and the GF is beautiful but its big draw for us was the proximity to the MK. You get the same thing with the Poly plus the relaxing atmosphere of the islands. The Poly is my favorite resort at WDW and even though we usually split our stays between two resorts I would never do so with the Poly unless I had to.:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Have to go split! Wow! What a vacation that would be! :mickey:

KAT1811
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Personally, I would do the Polynesian for 16 nights. We did a split stay on our last trip, 18 nights in November, and even though we stayed for longer lengths in each room I think it made moving even harder because we really settled in. We did stay in a villa resort so we did have groceries and things of that nature to move as well. We have decided as a family going forward we wouldn't move again, it was too much wasted time for us and too much work on vacation. Even though the resort moved our luggage packing and unpacking was a pain. Never again. We are a family of 6 so we too had a lot of "stuff" to pack. We'd rather play instead of move. It did waste the better part of a day.

Have a fabulous trip! Long trips are amazing.

DNS
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Personally I would go for all 16 at the Poly because it is my favorite and also, you will lose a big chunck of one day by switching. But I have to say, since you are staying for 16 days, you could lose the few hours to switch hotels and not think much about it. If you think your wife would love the GF, then do the switch.

dtootsie42
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Personally I would go for all 16 at the Poly because it is my favorite and also, you will lose a big chunck of one day by switching. But I have to say, since you are staying for 16 days, you could lose the few hours to switch hotels and not think much about it. If you think your wife would love the GF, then do the switch.

My thoughts exactly. We would stay at the Poly for all 16 because it is our favorite place. Simply wonderful that you can be there for that long of a stay.

Luv4WDW
02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
If I could afford to stay at the GF for 16 nights I would DEFINITELY do it. I've stayed at a couple other deluxe hotels when I was younger, but now my husband and I both agree that we will ONLY stay at the GF. It's surprising to me that so many people think it's for rich people... which we DEFINITELY aren't! I've also noticed that not all, but a lot of people have never stayed there but form their opinions just from a visit. I guess a lot of people feel intimidated (like maybe they wouldn't fit in or feel comfortable?). I can honestly say that it is NOT for rich people (except for how expensive it is :blush:) and you will feel comfortable. I didn't feel the least bit out of place walking around in my shorts and tank top... even in club level. There were even some kids eating in club level in their swim suits (which, granted, you're not supposed to do, but nobody said anything or looked down on them). I realize this is super long, but I had to put in my two cents because I absolutely LOVE the GF!

Cinderelley
02-15-2011, 02:38 AM
So what did you decide?

wmdaddy
02-15-2011, 07:44 AM
We're doing the first 8 nights in a Garden View Room at the Poly, and the second 8 nights in a Lagoon View Room at the GF. The packing while a pain, isn't that much of an issue. My wife is really good at that, and she'll have us all packed and ready to go the night before. We'll have Disney move the bags in the morning, then head out for the day, and head to the GF after.

One of the big things for us is the pools. The Poly's volcano pool is cool, but it's WAY too small. The GF's pools are huge and never seem overly crowded.

HeadFairyInCharge
10-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Grand Flo first 8....Beach Club last 8 ...
you will have access to the best restaurants and get to do all parks with ease if you split your stay to one on monorail then the other to do Epcot and Hollywood studios...

I like some of Poly resort restaurants and grounds ...but not rooms decor...just my 2 cents :mickey: