PDA

View Full Version : Eating lunch at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Dream'nDisney
01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
On our first full day at the World, we were thinking about going to AK since it is an EMH day and then taking a bus to AKL to check it out and possibly eat lunch there. We have always wanted to check out this resort, but have never made time. I see where Mara and the Maji Pool Bar qualify for the quick service for lunch. I see the menu for Mara, but does anyone know what the Maji Pool Bar serves for lunch as part of the DDP QS?

BugeyedMuggy
01-30-2011, 04:30 PM
The food court Mara at AKL is right near the pool so you can bring the food right to a table near the pool bar. Not sure if you can use the QS DDP at the pool bar as they have to serve you. I could be wrong tho.

ElenitaB
01-30-2011, 04:50 PM
We really like Mara and consider it to be one of the best resort food courts at WDW. :thumbsup:

Maji has a very limited selection of grab-and-go items, but they have a way to place an order that will be brought out to you. No different really from your typical QS location, but the kitchen isn't located out by the food. So technically they're "delivering" the food to you, rather than serving you. The selections are interesting.

Fastpasssteve
02-01-2011, 01:11 AM
I would suggest a different plan, if possible...

Try to go to Boma (located in the Animal Kingdom Lodge) for either Breakfast or Dinner. This is a wonderful restaurant with creative, delicious food. I love it; it is a part of each trip to WDW. Boma would be a true taste of the Lodge and the style of Africa (I believe that's why you're going there). While it is a little pricey, it is a great value for your dollar and will fill you up. (If I had a breakfast there, I would only need a little snack for lunch.)

The Mara and the Pool Bar are generic places to get food...not unlike the Food Court at the value resorts or Pop Century. It is cheap food on the run. Do you really want to come to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to get a Caesar Chicken Salad or a burger and a Diet Coke?

If it is an Early EMH, you might consider getting to the park early and get a reservation at Boma for a late breakfast.

OR

Go to Boma for Dinner (starting at 5 pm) after the park is closed. It would make for a special memory...part of a special day together as a family at the Animal Kingdom.

Whatever happens, enjoy your trip!

Dream'nDisney
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
That is a good idea. We were planning on taking advantage of the EMH that morning, so after a few hours, we could then have a late breakfast at AK. Unfortunately, we already have our TS meals planned, so we will have to decide whether we want to make a change or not. Our biggest desire is to check out the resort in case we want to stay there in the future, so if we don't do a meal there, we will still accomplish our goal by walking around the resort. We are in the middle of a blizzard right now and walking around at a WDW resort sure sounds wonderful!!

megustamex
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
We love Mara, and they do have some interesting "African" inspired dishes. They make an African stew that I love. They also have great soups and flatbread pizzas, especially the olive and chicken one. And you can get the amazing Zebra Domes for dessert (that they serve at Boma) in the fridges at Mara! Have fun, it is an AMAZING resort!

Dream'nDisney
02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the tips! I am looking forward to seeing it.

snowflakegirl
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
The couscous that is available sometimes as a side dish at Mara is very tasty. I agree with one of the previous posts about trying to get a meal in at Boma. I can't speak to their breakfasts, but having dinner there is a MUST for each of my trips. Next trip we plan on having a breakfast there, too, based on the way the lodge smells at breakfast time.

That said, we stayed at AKL on our last vacation and absolutely LOVED it.

johnO
02-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Boma is fantastic. We've eaten there twice and loved it. We also used those opportunities to explore AKL.

On our last trip, we decided to eat at Sanaa. It the TS restaurant at the AKL Villas. It was fantastic!

I recommend Sanaa.

Dream'nDisney
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I've never even heard of Sanaa. I will have to check that restaurant out. Hopefully there is a menu here on info central. I'm going to look right now.

ElenitaB
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Here's links to the most recent lunch (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/Sanaa/sanaa-menu-lunch.pdf), dinner (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/Sanaa/sanaa-menu-dinner.pdf) and kids (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/Sanaa/sanaa-menu-kids.pdf) menus for Sanaa, posted by Disney.

I agree that Mara has some very interesting menu items, including Boma's famous Zebra Domes!

Niecyboo
02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Mara is one of the few Resort Quick Service meals I will go out of my way for. Their Butternut Squash soup is the best. They serve it some nights at Boma's as well. If we are eating at Bomas and they don't have the Butternut Squash soup on the buffet, I will ask if they will get me a bowl from Mara (they usually do). The chicken also has an interesting flavor to it.

Dream'nDisney
02-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I am looking forward to checking out the resort and one of their eateries.