PDA

View Full Version : Night of Joy

alissantos
01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Has anyone been to "Night of Joy"? Is it worth it??? I'm thinking of going for it this year...

Ian
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Just remember you asked for opinions ...

I went once and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I only went, because I didn't really know what it was (this was WAY back in 1998, before I had discovered INTERCOT and knew where to ask) and because it appeared to be a reasonably inexpensive way to get an extra 5 or 6 hours in the Magic Kingdom.

It turned out to be a disaster. The place was completely overrun with hordes of ramaging teens ... screaming, yelling, running around like maniacs, pushing, shoving, line jumping, throwing food around, and generally making the entire park a train wreck.

It was so bad we left after only an hour, even though we'd paid like $40 to get in. I would never do it again!

alissantos
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow. Not really a night of joy for you...:secret:
Tks for the opinion...

LynneM
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I haven't been, but I've heard similar reports. Apparently local churches bus their youth groups in, and the chaperoning isn't what it should be. If there is any chaperoning. Predictably, the kids go nuts. I've even heard that it's the peak night of the year for shoplifting incidents, don't know if it's true or not.

forever a child
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Has anyone been to "Night of Joy"? Is it worth it??? I'm thinking of going for it this year... I have read other posts that have stated this is the only hard ticket event worth the costs. I have not gone as of yet, but I would like to some time in the future. I guess it depends on if you like the headline bands/singers on if it would be worth while. I wouldn't go just to have a late night in the park. To me it is about the entertainment. I am glad the WDW offers such an event and hope that they continue to do so.

I've even heard that it's the peak night of the year for shoplifting incidents, don't know if it's true or not. This seems like an unjust statement to make without proof.

:offtopic: It seems like we all want to criticize others, like the Brazilian tour groups, the conventioneers at CSR, the un chaperoned teenagers, etc. etc. I for one can't stand young crying whiny children....but at WDW...it is to be expected. Without these groups of different people coming and spending their $...WDW would raise their costs and cut their products and services even more...so as much as they may be an "inconvenience" to my vacation....I am glad they are their spending their money to keep WDW in business. Sorry....just my :twocents:

Ian
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
It seems like we all want to criticize others ... I wasn't criticizing anyone. The OP asked for experiences and opinions, so I related exactly what I saw.

forever a child
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I didn't question your post Ian. You gave your account of what happened on one particular night. It is no different then positive or negative reviews of MVMHP and MNSSHP that have good and bad reviews based on one particular night.

MNNHFLTX
01-28-2011, 02:42 PM
:offtopic: It seems like we all want to criticize others, like the Brazilian tour groups, the conventioneers at CSR, the un chaperoned teenagers, etc. etc. I for one can't stand young crying whiny children....but at WDW...it is to be expected. Without these groups of different people coming and spending their $...WDW would raise their costs and cut their products and services even more...so as much as they may be an "inconvenience" to my vacation....I am glad they are their spending their money to keep WDW in business. Sorry....just my :twocents:Normally I would agree with you, but in this case I don't really see anyone criticizing a group, just relating what they've experienced or heard about a particular event.

I went to a Night of Joy years ago and had similar observations as Ian, with teenagers acting, well--out of control. This seemed at odds with the venue and the type of groups performing there that evening. I really don't have any explanation as to why except that there were a lot of young people who seemed lacking supervision that evening (as previously mentioned). Or maybe I'm just being an old fuddy-duddy! Anyway, it's possible that more recent Nights of Joy have been a bit less crazy.

BellesRose
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
I've been probably 5 times and haven't experienced anything like the other posters have.

The first time I ever went, there was a long line for BTMRR and the kids in line were yelling "We love Jesus, yes we do! We love Jesus, how bout you?!" over and over and over. I do love Jesus, but I don't need to shout it continuously for people to know it :blush: It was giving me a headache!
HOWEVER, after the ride, I didn't experience any more problems whatsoever. I went on the ride again that night, along with concerts and other rides, and had an amazing time! Same with all of the years after that.
I never had the worst experience of my life there like some did. Although MNSSHP is actually my favorite event, I have had some incredible experiences at Night Of Joy.

My mom doesn't care for it much, because she's not a big music fan. My dad and my brother LOVE it!! There is typically a short wait for most rides, and longer wait times for the 3 biggest park rides. The concerts can get loud if you attend them (I'm sensitive though) but I actually enjoy just walking around the park and listening to the music and getting some popcorn. To me, it's totally worth it.