PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century

xo0ally
01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
My family and I are considering staying at Pop Century. We have never stayed here before and i was wondering what your opinions were on it. Is the food good? Location good? Is the theme and rooms nice? etc. Thanks for the help.

joonyer
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
We love Pop.
Theming is great.
Food is ordinary food court fare, same as you'll Find at All-stars for instance.
Rooms were nice, but nothing spectacular, it's a value resort after all.
We prefer PC to All-stars, mainly for the theming. We drive to WDW and found it easy to get to other WDW if we wanted to take our car.
Bus service was very good leaving the resort (frequent buses, small wait times), but crowded at the parks at park closing. That's not Pop's fault, just the way it is at crowded value resorts.

mitchsfan
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
We have stayed at Pop in 07 and are heading back down there in August. My son (6) only wants to stay at Pop.

The food is your typical resort food. There is nothing that was to die for but everything was edible. Though the cheesesteak wrap just wasn't good. But I am from Philly so I have high expectations about cheesesteaks.

If I remember correctly, three pools, a spray fountain and the decor was awesome.

Closest parks were DHS and Epcot and it was probably a 1/2 hr on the bus ride to the MK.

Enjoy your trip!

olivegirl
01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
WE love love love POP CENTURY!!! We have stayed there many times and love it more each time!! The grounds are BEAUTIFUL, the food is awesome and the rooms are clean and comfortable!!!! We were there in August and had a renevated room!!! Great is all I can say!! We usually get a room by Hourglass Lake!!! It is sooo quiet and peaceful!! The sunsets are just gourgeous!! The food court is large and has great food! We never had to wait more than 15 mins for a bus!! We love that we have a choice of pools!! Have a GREAT trip!!

Goofy4TheWorld
01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Pop Century can't be beat IMO. It's cheap, it has a wonderful food court (as long as you are not expecting the Four Seasons) has the most efficient bus service I have experienced at Disney, has cool theming with exciting grounds, is probably less than 5 minutes from DHS and EPCOT and less than 10 to AK, and IT'S CHEAP!

Seriously, other than the minor annoyance of noise from toilets flushing and the occasional hallway runner, I had the greatest time I have ever had at any resort while staying at Pop. Not that I won't try other places from time to time, but there is no reason not to love Pop!

waymickey
01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Do they share busses with any onther resort? We are also going to POP for the first time in august and need all info I can get.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
We just came back from POP and it was crazy busy, with the mods being very low, crowd wise !!! (we resort hopped) POP is very nice, rather loud, but for a value I can see it being very attractive to most !! We have only stayed at POR so I'm sure my advice is rather tainted. The food court is very nice, and very large, with a vast array of foods, just know that it's extremely busy !!! The rooms are nice, clean, Disney themed obviously.....we were in the '60s building close to the main area of pool, food, busses. No, they don't share busses, but the bus lines are set up like the parks and I can imagine how crazy busy it becomes in the summer and during holidays.......:cool:

Goofy4TheWorld
01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
...but the bus lines are set up like the parks and I can imagine how crazy busy it becomes in the summer and during holidays.......:cool:

One of my many complaints about Deluxe resorts was that the bus stops were not set up like the parks, meaning Deluxe resorts did not have a defined que with poles to form a single line for each bus-stop destination. Having a free-for-all at the Deluxe resorts where all buses come to a single point and you just wander around aimlessly was really annoying since I am the kind of person that will let others cut in front of me just to keep the peace. No such problem occurs at the Values.

brownie
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
We enjoyed it. The rooms are nice. Beds are cozy (we could have used a bit more room!) The food was good but we mostly had breakfast at Everything Pop. The sundaes were superb, though! We'd stay there again. Our only complaint was the bus service. We had our van so we really didn't use the Disney buses.

SandmanGStefani24
01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I absolutely love it. My main complaint is of course the noise for neighboring rooms waking me up way too early. Will try earplugs next time...

Aside from that one negative it's all positive. I love the decor of the buildings, the parking is more than ample, and I always enjoy myself.

The food court can get crouded at times, but mostly right at breakfast and around park close. Usually if you avoid these times you can get what you want rather easily. I've also never had to hunt for a place to sit at the poolside bar either. Plus bartenders are always very friendly and chatty.

I think POP is a great choice and will stay there again, no problem.

DisneyFr33k
01-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Do they share busses with any onther resort? We are also going to POP for the first time in august and need all info I can get.:mickey:

Nope. They have dedicated buses just for them.

We have stayed at all the values, and POP is the best, in our opinions.

Here are the reasons why:

Dedicated buses... less wait time coming and going.
Great themed buildings.
Newer decor in rooms - way better than All Stars.
Great pools - one computer shaped, one bowling pin shaped and the big main pool - designed like a flower from the 60's.
Location is perfect - longest ride to MK.

One drawback if you are a non-smoker and sensitive to smoke like we are. Don't ask for a room in the 50's building. We were there for our first stay there and had to walk through 2 smoking areas to get to the main building. One of which was right outside of the main entrance (to the left as you approach the building). There was no way not to walk through clouds of smoke. I wonder why they put a huge smoking area right where everyone walks in to the main building?

You'll love POP. It is our favorite value!

wdwnutz
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
We just stayed at Pop for the first time 2 weeks ago and loved it! We ate in the food court for dinner twice and were happy with the food and service. Everything was clean. No problems with the buses, just sometimes very crowded depending on time of day, no different than any other resort. Our DS4 loved the fountain pool at the 60's bldg.
The only problem we had was when we checked in...we were traveling with another family and requested connecting rooms in the 60's bldg, first floor (due to medical reasons), non-preferred. I know this is not guaranteed, but we did get first floor in the 60's bldg. The problem was that when we were given our room the lady that checked us in reassured us that they were connecting. When we got to the room, of course they were not. I would have not been upset if they told us there was no more connecting rooms in the 60's bldg on the first floor and offered us an alternative...so we headed back to checkin and requested a manager. We ended up getting an upgrade to a preferred room in the 60's bldg on the 2nd floor right around the corner from the elevators. While all this room switching was going on we were going to be late for our dinner reservations...so the manager had the resort van take us directly to Magic Kingdom (he even waited outside with us until the van came!).
I wish I would have gotten the manager's name because he went out of his way to make our stay at Pop Century wonderful! Also our son needed antibiotics delivered to the resort for an ear infection, great service from Turner Drugs (only pharmacy that is allowed in WDW property)! The front desk was always so helpful with anything we needed during our stay! Including providing a refrigerator at no cost for the antibiotic and storing it for us our last day until we left for home. Would definitely stay at Pop Century again!!!!

DisneyFr33k
01-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Also our son needed antibiotics delivered to the resort for an ear infection, great service from Turner Drugs (only pharmacy that is allowed in WDW property)! The front desk was always so helpful with anything we needed during our stay! Including providing a refrigerator at no cost for the antibiotic and storing it for us our last day until we left for home. Would definitely stay at Pop Century again!!!!

The same thing happened to us! Our son came down with an ear infection and had to be driven by ambulance to Celebration Hospital (it was a Sunday night and all Urgent Care centers were closed). When we called for the ambulance, I guess POP's manager is notified. She showed up to our room along with a security guard to be sure our son was taken car of (fever over 103, vomiting etc .... fun). The manager was so nice and told us they would pay for the ambulance and for the cab ride back to POP. The antibiotics were delivered the next day and they called several times to see if they could deliver food to our room to make him more comfortable.

#1donaldfan
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
One of my many complaints about Deluxe resorts was that the bus stops were not set up like the parks, meaning Deluxe resorts did not have a defined que with poles to form a single line for each bus-stop destination. Having a free-for-all at the Deluxe resorts where all buses come to a single point and you just wander around aimlessly was really annoying since I am the kind of person that will let others cut in front of me just to keep the peace. No such problem occurs at the Values.

The mods are the same way, not a defined, coral area to await a bus !!!!

wdwnutz
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
The same thing happened to us! Our son came down with an ear infection and had to be driven by ambulance to Celebration Hospital (it was a Sunday night and all Urgent Care centers were closed). When we called for the ambulance, I guess POP's manager is notified. She showed up to our room along with a security guard to be sure our son was taken car of (fever over 103, vomiting etc .... fun). The manager was so nice and told us they would pay for the ambulance and for the cab ride back to POP. The antibiotics were delivered the next day and they called several times to see if they could deliver food to our room to make him more comfortable.

Wow, very impressive...the managers at Pop were some the nicest cast members we have met at WDW...I am so glad they took good care of your son. It's a scary thing when you are so far away from home and your kids are sick.

antngoof89
02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
We just stayed in POP last month and I loved it. The beds were comfortable, awesome theming all around the resort, the food was pretty good, wonderful decorations, all the neccessary things ya need at a resort. The bus stops were kinda off and on while we were there, but it was January, so I know they weren't running a ton of buses like usual. It was nice though, not making stops at other resorts, just going straight to yours since POP has their own bus stop. It's also very close to HS and DTD, which is nice. Long drive to MK and EPCOT, but it's not unbareable. Great value, IMO.

CaptSmee
02-02-2011, 12:37 AM
It's big...it has beds, bathrooms, a tv. There's swimming pools, buses, a huge food court & a nice store. And it's inexpensive. What is else there to know???? It's a much better choice than the All Star Resorts. :thumbsup:

johnO
02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
We've stayed at Pop. We enjoyed it. Buses were fine, Food Court could get crazy hectic. Bus lines can be out of hand on the way back too. We've noticed this at all of the values, even in the off season.

The theming is fine but we prefer the theming of ASMov.

We've gotten to the point that we've slowed down a bit, and not because we're getting long in the tooth. We've been to WDW a good number of times and have learned that when you slow down and take your time you catch all of the fine details that you miss when youre speeding through the parks all day and park hopping. We used to go to the parks all day and only slept and showered at the resort so it was less important. But since we've slowed down, we no longer park hop, we like to spend more time at the resort and explore things. We also noticed that the lines at the Moderates and Deluxes were so much shorter.

The last time we were in WDW we stayed at CSR and it was fantastic. The frustration of overrun food courts and long crowded bus waits didnt happen there and it made the price difference worth it.

Dont get me wrong, We would stay at Pop again, but just keep in mind that it isnt immune to the frustrations of the other Value Resorts.

ransam
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
i think the POP is awesome, especially for kids. it's laid out nicely. has some nice trails to walk around on, some quiet spots, especially out by the Generation Bridge...

Daisy'sMom
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
The only resort we have not stayed at is Riverside. For the past few years we stay at POP. Not only are the CMs wonderful, the food court and store are good, rooms are clean and we get to save money besides. :mickey:

JerseyDad
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM
....POP is pretty much the only place we have stayed....or....really WANT to stay. Great layout.....theming....and my personal fave'...LANDSCAPING. The cast members are always one-upping themselves each time we visit there.

....can't wait till the last week of August...we'll be there again.

PinKy
02-03-2011, 03:10 AM
We've stayed here several times - all of which where our rooms were located in the "50's area". We loved it! We would definitely stay here again. The theme is really cute - the gift shop is one of the best in my opinion (of the values or moderates). The food is good - its not super - but for a quick service/food court its pretty good. :-) Plus, they have slushies as a choice for soft drinks. At certain times of the day cast members break out in song in front of the main entrance - very cute. (I haven't stayed here in a couple of years - but they used to do this - hopefully they still do. It was a nice unique touch to the atmosphere.) Plus - Pop has its own bus - they don't share with any other resort, so the transportation is fairly quick. Have a great stay!

DisneyFr33k
02-03-2011, 06:16 AM
The last time we were in WDW we stayed at CSR and it was fantastic. The frustration of overrun food courts and long crowded bus waits didnt happen there and it made the price difference worth it.

Dont get me wrong, We would stay at Pop again, but just keep in mind that it isnt immune to the frustrations of the other Value Resorts.

We did the same during our last trip. Coronado Springs was extremely nice. The buses were practically empty due to the large convention taking place. It was like we had the resort almost to ourselves!

I agree with the post above - we'd definitely go back to POP if we were to do a value again. We loved it too! But the queen beds were on order with our children growing so tall!

DisneyFr33k
02-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to add that POP has the BEST arcade! My kids loved it! It is HUGE!

readytogo2
02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Plus, they have slushies as a choice for soft drinks.

Im pretty sure they replaced the slushies with a tea dispenser

Mousemates
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Pop is my wife and kids favorite value resort.

LVT
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Buses: 1 Bus stop, no sharing with another resort. This helps during the first day, you can
tell that it is your bus. Closing time at parks is always chaos. They send the buses as quickly as they can. Often 2 will be loading at once.
FOOD: Cafeteria set up, several styles of food are featured during the busy time> IE American, sandwich, greek, there are variations by time and day of the week.
I find their food of reasonable value, compared to the high end places or the in-park dining. All resorts have small areas of simple grocery type foods like pre-made sandwiches, fruit, pastries and simple bagged sliced bread (toasters are in the dining area by the drink dispensers.
We stay for several days and always get the refillable drink cups. We use them enough to justify the initial cost.

Feel free to post lots of questions. We like to feel we are being helpful.

Tigerinvestigator
02-05-2011, 09:43 PM
We love Pop and I prefer it over the other values mainly because of the bus service not being shared with other resorts. The theming is good and I especially like the exhibits in the lobby from each decade (saw things I had forgotten about). Just remember it is a value resort, it will be crowded, there will be lots of kids and teens, and it can be louder than the mods and deluxe resorts. If those things don't bother you (they don't us) you will love it!:thumbsup:

ransam
02-06-2011, 02:00 AM
i really liked the POP

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
BDF and I stayed at All-Star Movies our first trip and then stayed at POP our second trip....POP is by-far our favorite value!! If we werent DVC we would always stay at POP! The atmosphere in general was so much more nicer and homier feeling than All-Stars. All-Stars has three resorts and usually two out of the three end up sharing buses and becomes just way too much. Where as POP has its own bus, in general, the end. The pond int eh back of the 50's building (I think its in the back of the 50's building, going by memory here) was lovely! We would feed the duckies with left over bread from the dinners before in the morning it was to die for <3 wonderful over-all experience. I vote for POP any day! And the food court was a lot better than All-Stars food court. Its typical food-court type food but far better quality than we had at the All-Stars. Im pretty sure you will NOT be disappointed!! :):thumbsup:

johnO
02-06-2011, 04:49 PM
The food court can get really out of hand. Something I didnt notice at CSR. I mean its bedlam during peak hours at any of the values.