PDA

View Full Version : Snowiest January in Recorded History

lettripp
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello from (once again) buried Bridgeport, CT.

Just wanted to get a feel for how others in the North East are handling this record breaking winter. With this storm last night, CT is officially in its snowiest January in recorded history... and I'm pretty sick of clearing it off my car!

What have your totals been like? How many snow days have you had?

The school where I teach just had its fifth snow day this season... not to mention the delay and 2 early dismissals - my students are learning next to nothing right now!

Is anyone else ready to pack up and move to Florida??????

Tinkerfreak
01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Well we have had alot of snow but still less than you guys which is unusual. We usually get more than you but some of the storms have hit you but gone out to sea before hitting us full force and lowered our snowfall totals. I feel your pain.
My flight to Disney was canceled this morning and they rebooked us onto another flight that doesn't arrive until 12:15 tonight or tomorrow morning I guess you would call it. We are bummed out and hoping they don't bump us from this one or cancel it. The next available flight out is not until tomorrow at 4 p.m. If we dont make this 5:00 flight we are going to have to cancel the trip because it was only a 4 day trip. I hope the weather is a little kinder to you for the rest of the winter.
Maybe we are getting the snow all at once and won't get much more (wishful thinking).

vicster
01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
The northeast has certainly been hit hard this year and I certainly hopes it gets better for you. We've been pretty lucky this year in the Chicagoland area - not a whole lot of snow.

ChipDale2708
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm in CT too and can't take much more of this winter! When I 'asked' for a White Christmas, I didn't mean Fourth of July as well... Our meteorologists are already bracing us for a couple more storms next week. I hope they're wrong.:thedolls:

faline
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
We're buried here in Massachusetts! I'm not a big fan of snow to begin with!! Ugh!!

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Another 9.5" here in Chelmsford, MA which is close to the New Hampshire border. Took three hours to snow blow before I came into work this morning. Just no where to put it all. Keep piling it up and it just avalanches back into the driveway. Overall so far probably near the 50" for the season so far. It hasn't melted at all so that is making it much worse.

This is snow day # 4 or 5 for my kids. Lost count. They are now talking about canceling April vacation around here so the kids don't have to go to school until July.

Definetly could use a break. Thinking seriously of a quick weekend trip in Feb to Disney just to stay at a resort and use the pools. Heard there's another storm on the way for next Tuesday.

Strmchsr
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry for all the snow. It's because of global warming, you know. ;) I could understand the temptations to move to the Deep South right now, but the summers are brutal and you would definitely not like it too much then!

MadMadamMim
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm a teacher in Pennsylvania (about 1 1/2 hours in between Philly and NYC) and today is my 5th snow day. Luckily my school builds 5 snow days in but now everyone after this we have to make up. Blah.

TikiGoddess
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I am a teacher in northern CT and today is our 6th snow day. We have had 5 snow days in the last three weeks, over 55" of snow, 2 early dismissals, and at least 4 late openings.

Last night's storm dumped 14" on my town, contrary to what the weathermen were saying -- 3"-6"? Umm, no.

We have one more snow day left to make up at the end of school in June. If we have more than that, we will be losing April (or Feb) vacation. Right now we're getting out on June 28!

At least my arm muscles are getting strong from all this shoveling... LOL

Kathy

princessgirls
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm tired and weary!!

Last night brought 19 more inches. I think we are at 42 inches for January. It's CRAZY!!!! My girls only had 2 days of school last week, and have used 5 snow days. Today they had a delayed opened, which confused me, as everyone else's district in the surrounding towns closed. I will admit, that the roads were in good shape, as the snow ended around 4am, it was the DRIVEWAYS that caused all of the work, or cars that were snowed in. There was over three feet of snow created from the plows that I needed to shovel to get out, not to mention cleaning off my suburban...
Yes, I am tired and so OVER the snow!!! There is over 5 feet of snow surrounding my mailbox...maybe that will melt by May???? I'm hoping!!
Julie:mickey:

princessgirls
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I am a teacher in northern CT and today is our 6th snow day. We have had 5 snow days in the last three weeks, over 55" of snow, 2 early dismissals, and at least 4 late openings.

Last night's storm dumped 14" on my town, contrary to what the weathermen were saying -- 3"-6"? Umm, no.

We have one more snow day left to make up at the end of school in June. If we have more than that, we will be losing April (or Feb) vacation. Right now we're getting out on June 28!

At least my arm muscles are getting strong from all this shoveling... LOL

Kathy

Who needs a Gym?????? The snow shoveling program is working for me!!
June 28th...that is AWFUL!!! NO MORE SNOW!!!!!!!!
Hang in there Kathy!
Julie:mickey:

PirateLover
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
There has been snow on the ground in our area since before Christmas. In fact our first snowfall came about a week before Christmas and we've had consistent snow falls since then. This most recent storm was supposed to pass us by in wintry mix form until about the day before, when we were told we'd get snow... and the amount just kept going up and up. We have about 15 inches!!!!! And it's the wet, heavy, pain in the butt kind! (Only good for making snow men and snowballs!)
Tomorrow will be my school's 3rd snow day. That's it for us, then we'll need to start making it up. We've had 2 late openings and one early dismissal.

Usually around here we get one, maybe 2 disruptive snow falls a year. I don't ever remember anything like this.