PDA

View Full Version : IOA ~ WWoHP First Time visit, Please help!

forever a child
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
We are planning one day at IOA to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We have never been to Universal and if it were not for HP world...we would not even be planning a trip.

I am excited about this visit but a bit nervous too. I have been on their website and it just doesn't seem very user friendly. We plan on spending most of the day in WWoHP but we will probably hit a few other things like Seuss Land. We are not big thrill seekers but my DD might want to try a coaster. She has ridden Tot, SM, RnR and MS...so anything in that league I think she can handle.

I am interested in "must do's" and tricks or tips to deal with the park. We will have our car and drive from our WDW Resort to IOA and try to open and close the park. I don't think they are open very late...like 7pm? What day's would be the best? I am assuming a weekday like Tuesday or Wednesday? It will only be a one day visit and DD wants to eat at the Three Broomsticks and try the frozen Butter beer. We are going to be spending our $ here on Wizard stuff...so what's good?

Thanks for any advise. This is going to challenge our comfort zone as we have grown comfortable at WDW on knowing what we are doing and where we are heading. :blush:

beksy
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. This is my first time going to Universal. :scratch: We are doing one day at Universal and one at IOA, mostly for Harry Potter. I know we are eating at the Three Broomsticks and trying the Butterbeer. My fiancee is a huge fan so he is looking forward to getting a wand (even though he was disappointed that it wouldn't be picked for him in the way he was expecting) and who knows what else we will end up with! We are also planning on hitting the candy store (don't remember the name) and our friends are sending wish lists along. ;) Excited but nervous! :shop:

JabberJaws
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I will be doing WWoHP for the first time next weekend as well, but have been to US and IOA quite a bit in the past as I used to have an annual pass there when I was a CM.

Must do's for IOA (aside from WWoHP)

Spiderman -absolutely don't miss this one. I hear that HHATFJ takes the reigns as the worlds best theme park attraction now, but the previous title holder was Spiderman. It will blow you away.
Jurassic Park River Adventure - If you don't mind getting a little wet, check this out. It was a very well themed, well executed attraction. Just sit in a middle or back row and towards the center of the row to stay drier.
Hulk coaster - If you don't mind a pretty intense coaster, check it out. One of the best coasters around, and I have been on a ton. I wouldn't say it is any more intense than RnRc so if they can handle that, they should be fine.
Poseidon's Fury - This is a walk through special effects attraction. VERY intricate theming and very well done effects.
Cat in the Hat - Great family-friendly dark ride.

These are, IMO, the best of the best at IOA. There are a couple of other water rides that are fun, but only worth it if you don't mind getting wet (really wet in the case of Popeye). The Jurassic Park exploration area is REALLY cool too, but not a don't miss.

As far as touring advice. I would say naturally a weekday would be best. Tho I have haven't been since they added WWoHP, I'd think that if you plan on going first thing in the a.m., there are two plans you could take:

1) Follow the crowd and rope drops and head straight for WWoHP, specifically FJ, and hop in line.
2) Go against the grain and go straight to the left after entering, ride Spiderman and any of the other things on that side, then check out WWoHP later in the a.m. when maybe the crowds have spread out some.

Not sure what is better as I've heard some people say to go straight there, and some say that the crowds thin out a bit as the day goes on b/c everyone does HP first.

I personally would come slightly after park opens (if park opens at 9 a.m., I would show up around 9:30) and go to WWoHP to check out the lines. If they lines aren't bad, I would just stick there, do some stuff, and come back later as well. If they are crazy, I would head over to the rest of the park and try back later.

Either way, I HATE dealing w/ rope drops and crazy people waiting at turnstiles like they are horses waiting at a starting gate, which is why I like to come about 30 minutes after opening, so that craziness is over.

DisneyFr33k
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree with the post above. But be sure to go on Dueling Dragons in WWoHP. It is a wonderful ride even though how "scary" it looks. Just don't sit in the front row - unless you really LOVE thrill rides! My DS hated roller coasters until this past trip and now loves them. He rode Dueling Dragons and Hulk dozens of times!!

forever a child
01-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I will be doing WWoHP for the first time next weekend as well, but have been to US and IOA quite a bit in the past as I used to have an annual pass there when I was a CM.

Must do's for IOA (aside from WWoHP)

Spiderman -absolutely don't miss this one. I hear that HHATFJ takes the reigns as the worlds best theme park attraction now, but the previous title holder was Spiderman. It will blow you away.
Jurassic Park River Adventure - If you don't mind getting a little wet, check this out. It was a very well themed, well executed attraction. Just sit in a middle or back row and towards the center of the row to stay drier.
Hulk coaster - If you don't mind a pretty intense coaster, check it out. One of the best coasters around, and I have been on a ton. I wouldn't say it is any more intense than RnRc so if they can handle that, they should be fine.
Poseidon's Fury - This is a walk through special effects attraction. VERY intricate theming and very well done effects.
Cat in the Hat - Great family-friendly dark ride.

These are, IMO, the best of the best at IOA. There are a couple of other water rides that are fun, but only worth it if you don't mind getting wet (really wet in the case of Popeye). The Jurassic Park exploration area is REALLY cool too, but not a don't miss.

As far as touring advice. I would say naturally a weekday would be best. Tho I have haven't been since they added WWoHP, I'd think that if you plan on going first thing in the a.m., there are two plans you could take:

1) Follow the crowd and rope drops and head straight for WWoHP, specifically FJ, and hop in line.
2) Go against the grain and go straight to the left after entering, ride Spiderman and any of the other things on that side, then check out WWoHP later in the a.m. when maybe the crowds have spread out some.

Not sure what is better as I've heard some people say to go straight there, and some say that the crowds thin out a bit as the day goes on b/c everyone does HP first.

I personally would come slightly after park opens (if park opens at 9 a.m., I would show up around 9:30) and go to WWoHP to check out the lines. If they lines aren't bad, I would just stick there, do some stuff, and come back later as well. If they are crazy, I would head over to the rest of the park and try back later.

Either way, I HATE dealing w/ rope drops and crazy people waiting at turnstiles like they are horses waiting at a starting gate, which is why I like to come about 30 minutes after opening, so that craziness is over.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Jabberjaws...I'll have to print yours out and add everything to our daily itinerary. It was quite helpful. Thank you!:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
01-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Popeye is also very fun if you like raft rides. It's better and MUCH longer than Kali River Rapids.

Not to mention that it probably won't be around for too much longer when the rest of the Lost Continent gets taken over by the next phase of Harry Potter...

There is a fan rumor of it being turned into something like the bank at Hogsmeade in the first movie. Now that would be so cool.

forever a child
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Not to mention that it probably won't be around for too much longer when the rest of the Lost Continent gets taken over by the next phase of Harry Potter...

There is a fan rumor of it being turned into something like the bank at Hogsmeade in the first movie. Now that would be so cool.

So they do plan to expand the HP park? :thumbsup: Any ideas of when that will happen? Or is this all just a rumor?