PDA

View Full Version : Help! Removing ink from clothes!

alphamommy
01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
My DD11 left a roller ball marker pen in the pocket of a hoodie, and I didn't know it. I washed and dried the clothes before discovering it. Needless to say, we have many articles of clothing splattered with black ink, along with the dryer.

I've looked online, and talked to several friends, and have received some advice. Many people suggested hair spray, but no one knows if it's aerosol hair spray or if any other type would work. I've also heard suggestions of alcohol and lemon juice. I thought I'd check with my I-cot friends and see if any of you have suggestions.

I also need to remove the marker from the inside of the dryer, because a few items in the next load that I dried also got black spots on them. DH used a Magic Eraser on it last night, and I'm currently running a load of old towels to see if that worked. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ChipDale2708
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I have used both kinds of hairspray and had it work fairly well, but that was on small ink spots and not after the item had been washed. Maybe someone else has another tried and true remedy. Good luck!

sassafras
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
This is going to sound really goofy--try hand sanitizer. It seems the kind from the mall bath store (I'm pretty sure you know which one I mean) works the best. It dissolves ink. I used to work in a bank and one of the tellers wrote all over the counter one day and I about died. She then squirted hand sanitizer all over it, and the ink just dissolved. Not sure what it would do to colored clothes, but think it would be ok on the white stuff. Might give it a try. Worst you'll do is ruin one item of clothing (try one like a sock or something you don't like). Hope this helps!

SBETigg
01-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Hand sanitizer and hairspray both work because of the alcohol. I would stick to straight rubbing alcohol. White towel under the garment, soak the stain and blot it, over and over until the ink is gone-- you'll see that it's bleeding out on the white towel under the garment. But honestly, it's a lot of work. A lot. Once the stains are set by dryer, your chances of getting it all out are very slim, no matter what people recommend. This happened here with a load of my husband's dress shirts. After working arduously on one shirt, for hours, and achieving some degree of success, we decided to just spend the bucks and go buy new shirts. Good luck with it.

DizneyRox
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I think the dryer has done you in.

I got ink off a carpet once with hairspray (Aussie Pump type) but it was somewhat fresh. I wouldn't hold out too much hope once things have been washed and dried.

BrerGnat
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Throw the worst stained item of clothing away. It's probably beyond hope. Let this be a lesson to your son to NOT leave pens in pockets!

For the inside of the dryer, head to a home improvement store and pick up some solvent by the name of "Goo Gone". It smells AWFUL, but safely removes just about anything off metal (assuming the inside of your dryer is metal and not plastic). After you have used the solvent, clean it with some towels soaked in soapy water, then rinse with clean, wet towels.

alphamommy
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I've tried everything except hand sanitizer, which I'm out of. I'll pick up that and some Goo Gone tomorrow. Nothing I've tried has made a dent. I suspect that we're doomed since everything was dried (I actually think the dryer is where the pen leaked).

I called the friend who gave DD the most precious shirt that was damages and found out where they bought it, so I can replace it. As for her other shirts, we're thinking we'll have her use the Justice gift card she got for her b-day to replace those.

Thanks again!

princessjojo
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Been there, done that and bought the ink stained shirts... Pretty much, since they've been laundered and dried, the ink has been set in. I had gel ink all over the inside of my dryer however. It almost looked tye-dyed. I squirted the cleaner "greased lightening" and the ink pretty much just ran off the dryer drum. It wiped clean way to easily.I tried it on the clothes as well. They initially turned brown, and some of the ink came out, but not nearly enough for them to be worn again. Now I have a few expensive yard work t-shirts.

ElenitaB
01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Goo Gone is a god-send. If you know anyone who sells Melaleuca products, get some Solumel. It works really well. :thumbsup:

BellesRose
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Goo Gone...love that stuff!

My mom got ink on my Juicy Couture purse at the grocery store...she tried hairspray, which worked, but it also changed the texture of the material. So for future reference for everyone, be careful with what you use it on.

Mogie
01-27-2011, 09:22 AM
There is this stuff called "Good Off" you can buy at any hardware store...similar to turpentine but works great. Just squirt some on the spot to saturate and scrub with a tooth brush or cloth, blot and rub till its gone. Then give whatever you spilled it on a rinse and youre all set. I accidentally leaned on a painted wall with a brand new coat and my whole side was covered in paint. Goof Off took everything off..just like new.

quicksand
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
heres another vote for hand sanitizer! My daughter got ink on a Lacoste shirt and the hand sanitizer worked like a charm!
good luck

garymacd
01-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Scissors work really well!

mdhiggin
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Goo Gone for everything! I have used it numerous times on laundry that has been dried, and it will remove some stains after drying. Mostly, I use it on grease spots, gum and ink stains. You should wet the area of clothing with the stain, spray it liberally with the Goo Gone, rub it a little and leave it for about an hour before washing it regularly in your machine. Don't leave more than an hour, because you don't want it to dry out on your clothes. On occasion, after using GG on my clothes, I will have what looks like a clear grease stain from the GG. I use Clorox 2 on it, and it will get that out. Of course, this secondary stain is rare, and I think must depend on the fabric.

alphamommy
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
WE FINALLY HAVE A WINNER: HAND SANITIZER!

It's the only thing that even made a dent in the ink stains! I haven't treated everything yet, but I tried it on one spot, and it made the stain transfer from the item to the towel underneath! It takes some effort scrubbing, so I think we'll tackle the bulk of the clothes this weekend, when DH and DD11 will be here to help.

THANKS for the suggestions!

SBETigg
01-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Tammy, that's great news! Maybe that it's a little thicker than straight alcohol it has some staying power to dissolve stuff. I hope it works and you get it all out! I would not have that kind of resolve. You go! We're all pulling for you, cheering you on.

thrillme
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Glad you got it to work. "Goof Off" is good stuff too...hmmm...hopefully it doesn't work on "Goofy" I like him just the way he is.:mickey:

Hand Sanitizer and Hairspray (any kind) works pretty good on clothes. At the grocery store in the detergents section they also have some little bottles of specialty removers for clothing (something Devil...I think...Stain Devil...maybe)...They're in little white bottles...these can do a good job to...just pick the one for the "specific" stain....(ink, blood, etc).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Hairspray usually only works if you haven't dried the item yet. I think I had read that baby wipes will also work. But I hadn't heard about the hand sanitizer. I'll have to remember that for future reference. Good luck with it this weekend.