PDA

View Full Version : Crowds in the parks this week? Anyone there?

lovinmesomedisney
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I am heading down on Thursday, and just wondered, now that the Marathon is over, and MLK has passed, are things calming down at all? I know people have been posting that crowds have been unusually heavy recently, so just wondered if anyone down there now has noticed any difference. :mickey:

cuteduck223
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
We're headed down thursday as well, but our first day in the parks won't be until saturday. Here's to hoping for light crowds and great weather! :blush:

FLDisneyMom
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
We were there last week. I know Monday was MLK day but I was surprised at how crowded the whole week was. The big thing is there were hundreds of groups of 50 from Brazil! I think there were days I heard more Portuguese being spoken then English. Sunday Jan 16th through Thursday the 20th you had to use fast pass to get on what you wanted to. Then Friday the 21st we were in MK and it was like a different park, no groups, no crowds, no waits! We did not use fast pass once that day.

The only thing we did not get to do last week was Fantasmic. The 6:30 showing was at capacity before it started filling, and I believe by the looks of the line, the 8:00 showing was full before the 6:30 started!

I talked to one person from Brazil who told me January, February and the first 2 weeks of March is when they come to WDW. And come they do, in hoards!!!

I hope for you that the crowds are better next week.

Gator
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Yikes! I'm flying in on Thursday as well. I was there last year and saw lots of tour groups from Brazil. Still, the crowds weren't bad. In fact, they were great. I'm hoping for the same this year. Either way, no heat and little rain means a good trip.

bob6572
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Last 3 out of 4 years we have gone this week. Crowds were never bad, except for TSM at DS. Had booked for this week till National Sales Meeting caused me to reschedule for 2 weeks later.

JabberJaws
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
We are going on Feb. 3. Crowds this time of year are typically fairly light. January is usually the month for all of the South American tour groups, b/c those schools are on their summer break now. They usually taper off by late Jan/early Feb. Still, from my past experience, late Jan/early Feb (between MLK and Presidents day) is a great time to go.

magicman
01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm flying out Wednesday (after being away for 3 years). :clappy:

I hope for light crowds, but I'm going to try to get to the parks early, early & have fun, fun.

I can't believe I'm almost there. :mjump:

lovinmesomedisney
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks everybody. I was just there in September, which typically for us is a fantastic time to go, yet for some reason this past year, it was way more crowded than any of the previous 7 years we have gone. I'm VERY much looking forward to a trip without the heat! I will have fun regardless of the crowd, but I will have a ton more fun if the crowds are light! :D Well, since there are some of you going the same time as we are, "A Toast to a FABULOUS, MAGICAL trip to the WORLD!!!" :marg:

dnickels
01-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I was at MK last night (Sunday the 23rd) and it was DEAD. Granted it was cold and there was no MSEP, but I haven't seen it that empty in a long time.

BellesRose
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I was at MK last night (Sunday the 23rd) and it was DEAD. Granted it was cold and there was no MSEP, but I haven't seen it that empty in a long time.
Darn, and I was going to go!

01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Monday the 24th, VERY crowded today and tonight. Summertime levels most of the day and at ELP, Castle show & Wishes. All 3 MiSiCi's were PACKED at the HUB.

BellesRose
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Monday the 24th, VERY crowded today and tonight. Summertime levels most of the day and at ELP, Castle show & Wishes. All 3 MiSiCi's were PACKED at the HUB.
Wow, on a Monday?! Not good!

CaptSmee
01-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Check out my live reports in the "trip planning" section. Crowds were extremely light until yesterday, but they were nowhere near summer levels not by a long shot. It was more like a busy weekend day but it should have been expected with MK hosting p.m. EMH's & an Electrical Parade. We had no issues touring, just used fastpass more than the rest of the time we were here.

01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
but they were nowhere near summer levels not by a long shot.

You might get a far different response if you were to ask the CM's that worked the parades and
Wishes yesterday and last night. That's all that I can say on the subject.

Gator
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Uh, oh. Not good. I usually skip the parks with EMH for that reason, but I'm at them a lot on this trip for some reason. Hoping for a mass exodus Thursday night.

catsmommy555
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
We were at Epcot Saturday morning and it wasn't too bad more than normal for this time of year and then headed over to MK around 4 it was freezing and packed so we called it an early night.

Went back yesterday and was packed with people but most of the ride lines were not too bad. Lots of tour groups and if they were going on something they went in large groups and that seem to slow everything down. So as long as you avoided the groups it was not too bad.

Melanie
01-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Crazy!!!! Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
You might get a far different response if you were to ask the CM's that worked the parades and
Wishes yesterday and last night. That's all that I can say on the subject.

I actually overheard cast members being asked if they wanted to go home early during the day. Maybe they cut too much?? I was at the 5:40 MiSiCi parade & it was much less crowded than last Nov & June when I was there.

01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I actually overheard cast members being asked if they wanted to go home early during the day. Maybe they cut too much?? I was at the 5:40 MiSiCi parade & it was much less crowded than last Nov & June when I was there.

Actually, there were extensions being asked as early as 1 pm because of turnstile loads and a lot of us parade CM's had to be extended to get the quests to the exits after Wishes.

Main St. was almost totally gridlocked at the Plaza after Wishes and we were directing everyone north of the Plaza to the East bypass.

No one on parades or turnstiles were getting ER's, just the opposite, they were asking people to extend.

JabberJaws
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Well our MK day on our trip is on an EMH evenings day. But, it is also SB Sunday, which tends to be a fairly light day in the parks, especially as the day goes on and people leave to watch the SB. Unfortunately someone in my group is a big Steelers fan, so we will be leaving at 5:30 or so to watch the SB, otherwise I bet the EMH that day (being during the SB) would be a GREAT time to be there.

WDWdriver
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
John and Ian from Intercot are at MK today. They tweeted that the crowd level is low, and posted a pic showing a nearly empty Liberty Square.

CaptSmee
01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Actually, there were extensions being asked as early as 1 pm because of turnstile loads and a lot of us parade CM's had to be extended to get the quests to the exits after Wishes.

Main St. was almost totally gridlocked at the Plaza after Wishes and we were directing everyone north of the Plaza to the East bypass.

No one on parades or turnstiles were getting ER's, just the opposite, they were asking people to extend.

Maybe so on Main Street but I rode the train around noon & a managerial type was telling a gentleman working the train that he can go home early when so and so gets back from break & that he already cut so and so earlier in the morning. We rode the train a full circle & at one point it was quite full so I don't know. Maybe the rails were overstaffed

CaptSmee
01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
John and Ian from Intercot are at MK today. They tweeted that the crowd level is low, and posted a pic showing a nearly empty Liberty Square.

Sounds like it's mute point anyway. Enjoy the parks if your there! I sure did having the easiest touring I have in years!

Monkeespaw
01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I was at MK on Monday the 24th. It was INSANELY crowded from 11:00am until closing. The most crowded I have EVER seen Magic Kingdom.

It was bizarre because Touring Plans predicted that day to be a 1 out of 10 for crowds and said that day was the best day for MK. I have no idea what that was about.

The other parks on the 2 days before and the day after were more like a 1 out of 10...no waits etc.

Good luck to you!

#1donaldfan
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
We encounted the HUGE tour groups....they haven't changed a bit !!! We encounted low crowd levels, very low for us, as we typically go in June ..... We stayed at POP this trip and never again, as low as the crowds were at the parks, that resort food court was terribly busy !! no tables !!! We did go over to our beloved POR and it was so quiet and nice, no one there, it was almost like it was closed !!! :cool:

BellesRose
01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Just got back from a day at the Magic Kingdom. Crowds looked moderate, and some lines looked really long, but we did it all anyways and the lines never stopped moving so we ended up waiting about 10 minutes for each ride, 15 at the most, but some we walked right on. We had reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern for 2:50 and walked in at 2:00, waited 5 minutes, and sat down to eat. We were out by 2:50! We just happened to make every tram, boat, and monorail we went on. All in all, it was an amazing day and surprisingly wonderful crowds! After we left, we were on our way to the McDonald's by the AK when I commented on how we didn't see any tour groups. Well, sure enough, there were 2 buses at McDonald's and the line was out the door. Needless to say, we are having soup for dinner tonight. I highly doubt that line would have moved as fast as the rides did ;)

ariel1014
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Was there from the 25th to the 29th. Stayed at POFQ and the resort was not busy at all. Had the spa to ourselves every morning.

The parks were low crowds except for Magic Kingdom on Friday the 28th. It was very busy, however the waits were not that bad first thing in the morning, just lots of people all around. We left around 4:30 pm that day as it was just too busy.