PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

llboyle
01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Is this worth the money for a family of 6? It will end up costing almost $350 for our entire family! We are planning and budgeting for a trip in Dec., and I would love to have advice on this, so I can build it in to the budget if necessary.

BellesRose
01-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Personally, I don't think it's worth it. However, when I was a young child, it was completely magical to me. For a family of 6, I think it's worth a try once. At least you will know for yourself, right? You will hear some say that you can't miss it, and some say just go ahead and skip it, but you'll never know for yourself until you go.

They have special parades, beautiful decorations, special fireworks, free hot chocolate and cookies, and I believe they have some shows as well. I haven't seen the shows, but the fireworks are pretty incredible. There are also lots of characters dressed up!

Interestingly enough, my brother (21) who is not much of a Disney fan, begs me to go to the Christmas party every year. His reason? The free hot chocolate and cookies. We have passes and I can't see spending extra for the party, so I tell him I'll buy him all the hot chocolate and cookies he wants if we go on a regular night, but he won't do it. We both have fond memories of getting hot chocolate and cookies as kids, and he says if we paid for it, it wouldn't be the same. So if you can afford to go once, your kids will probably enjoy the memories for years to come. Granted, the party isn't the same as it was 15 years ago, but everything is more special for children anyways.

Mousemates
01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
To us its not so much worth it...it seems like (and this is apparently true with most of the hard ticket events) they sell too many tickets and the parks get super crowded...what we now do for MVMCP and MNSSHP (more so) is book a meal at the California Grill and enjoy the special holiday fireworks from the viewing deck. The only hard ticket we do is Night of Joy, and we go then without any plans of riding. But, our kids are older (16 and 18) and thus a bit beyond getting extra hyped over cookies/hot chocolate and Santa Mickey. Lots of folks seem to really like it (hence the large number of tickets sold), so give it a try once and see what you think.

Stu29573
01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
We did it in mid November and loved it (I think it was the second party they had. The crowds were light and we walked on to everything. That being said, if we had to pay for six, it might be a one time thing.

Goes4FastPass
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
There are exactly 2 things that are special about MVMCP: The parade and the fireworks period full stop.

The character meet and greet lines are crazy long and while the cookies and hot chocolate are free (whee!) they're exactly what you'd expect any gas station to sell for a dollar.

More importantly though, if you are in the Orlando area and going to MVMCP means you can make a 4pm to midnight visit to the MK, that's one thing but if your family is staying at WDW and using multi-day MYW admission media, attending MVMCP is fun but not necessary.

I don't want to sound like Scrooge McDuck. I've attended MVMCP and I'll probably go again but your original post included the words "budget" and "necessary".

Have a great trip!

llboyle
01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info...yes "budget" and necessary are definitely the key words here, because 1) I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids (read: tight budget), 2) we live in Indiana, and 3) saving for this trip is a Herculean effort for us. That being said, I do like to plan a "splurge" (altho isn't the entire thing a huge splurge?). So I am trying to figure out if this is worth it. The kids have seen the video of the party on the Disney website, and it does look pretty slick!
Thanks for your input!

forever a child
01-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Is this worth the money for a family of 6? It will end up costing almost $350 for our entire family! We are planning and budgeting for a trip in Dec., and I would love to have advice on this, so I can build it in to the budget if necessary.

When exactly are you planning your trip? If you have some time after about the 19th of Dec you shouldn't even need to get the MVMCP tickets because the parades and fireworks will be the same ones in the parks that they had during the hard ticket event. Just a thought if you are really just wanting to see those things. I guess it depends on what all you and your children are interested in about the party. Not sure about the shows and meet and greets though.

BTW, I am a single mom of one and we went to WDW this Dec for the first time. We opted to skip MVMCP. I used the $ on a moderate instead with the idea that we would spend more time at the resort and perhaps gets some swimming in. Well, it was too cold so that never really did happen because by the time it warmed up DD had a cold and then we still didn't want her swimming, LOL. But my DD is 16 so I guess younger children it might be a bigger issue to do the party. We also spent $ shopping on this trip by skipping the party...and we seldom shop in Disney. There are only so many souvenirs you can want/use. But it was fun and I am not sorry we missed the Party. We did MK EMH's until midnight one night and that was a long night in the cold so the other evenings we would get back to our room around 9:30 or 10:30 and pretty much pass out! :)

CU Tiger
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
With a tight budget, no. It is a good experience once, but I do not think we would do it again. :mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-25-2011, 12:48 PM
As I sit at my work desk I'm staring at my 1999 MVMCP button (Victorian Mickey & Minnie standing in front of a snow covered lamppost). As I recall that year we also got a free 5X7 photo. I do not think they offer either of these minor perks anymore.

Anyhow, my DW and I have done it twice and it was enjoyable. We were just down there in early December, and now that we have 3 dd (ages between 3-8) we elected not to do it. One reason is obviously the cost and the 2nd is that it would have really been hard on the kids going until midnight. (I'm the type if I'm going to pay extra for a hard ticket, I want full value!).

I don't know how old your kids are, but that is something to think about. Do you want to shell out all that money only to have them poop out on you early.

MVMCP is a very enjoyable "luxury". I don't regret doing it with just my wife and I, but with limited vacation funds MVMCP is not where I wanted to spend an addtional $250 or more for the 5 of us. The kids probably would have enjoyed the parade and maybe some character meet and greets but with our resort mugs we can get free hot chocolate back at the hotel and the cookies are pretty blah. As for the rides, same as any other day there, so not a big deal.

I guess it comes down to how much of a budget crunch you are looking at. I don't think you'd regret it if you did it, but on the other hand my recommendation is that if you have other needs for that vacation money, it can be better spent on other Disney activities (getting a hopper plus or just the hopper, shopping or resort upgrade to name a few).

llboyle
01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
"If you have some time after about the 19th of Dec you shouldn't even need to get the MVMCP tickets because the parades and fireworks will be the same ones in the parks that they had during the hard ticket event. "

We were planning on going from Dec 16th thru the 22nd. The parade and fireworks are the biggest draw for the kids...and if we can see them anyway, then I don't think I would be as likely to spend the money for the party. Thanks for all your help!

lawgirl
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
We absolutely loved it. Im a huge Disney fan, and have been going for almost 30 years now. Never in my life have I experience the MK like we did at MVMCP...it was worth every last penny to me. The night we went wasn't particularly crowded (I've heard it can be sold out and kind of crazy), and it was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had at WDW.

To be able to stroll down Main Street, stroll through Fantasy Land, walk on to Space Mountain...etc, without a crowd at all...it was awesome! It was almost like the twilight zone to have MK almost all to ourselves. The parades were amazing, and we had front row spots for everything, and not many people around us, so we saw everything. The free hot cocoa and cookies were a nice treat, and there were fun dance parties for the kids at certain locations.

It was absolutely priceless to be able to stand right in front of Cinderella's castle with hardly any one around for the fireworks. Priceless!!

p.s. Before we went in Dec, I asked the same question, and had ALOT of folks tell me it was a waste of money, that it was not worth it, that they would never do it again. I'm sooooooo glad we went ahead and did it. It was seriously one of the most magical nights I can remember in all my years of going!

Darbylew
01-29-2011, 06:08 PM
We love MVMCP and go if we are going to be
there during the party times. We will be going
in December so we will be at the party. We like
it because they only sell so many tickets so the
park is not crowded. The parade and fireworks
are great. We like the hot chocolate and
cookies. It is a nice treat. I guess you will just
have to decide and try it at least one time. If
you are going you need to buy your tickets in
advance as the parties get filled up faster the
closer you get to Christmas. Whatever you
decide I am sure you and your family will have
a wonderful time. :thumbsup::mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MARCH AS WELL AS DECEMBER. :D

Pete Olsen
01-29-2011, 08:09 PM
It is worth very penny.

Goes4FastPass
01-29-2011, 09:40 PM
It was absolutely priceless to be able to stand right in front of Cinderella's castle with hardly any one around for the fireworks...

Uh, which Disney World was this and how many years agow?:confused:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Have they set the 2011 dates yet?

Bethis26fan
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
We don't go every year but we did enjoy the 2 times we went. The others we've just skipped because we wanted to spend the money on gifts. With that being said we are taking my aunt for her first trip this year and we are leaving it up to her if we go or not. I guess it comes down to if you want to spend the 300+ on park merch or tickets to the party.

You'll have a great time either way.

ransam
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
i have been twice. the first time was much better. second time, it just wasn't worth the extra money, I would defnitly do it if you haven't done it before. but i don't think i would.

Goofy_Guy
02-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I have been to MVMCP almost every year since 2003 and have enjoyed almost all of them up until last year and here is why. This event is an extra cost to the normal admission to the park and years ago CM's would start sweeping people from the back of the park when it was "closing". If you had your MVMCP wristband you were permitted to stay but those without had to make their way to mainstreet. Then about an hour later the party started. In the past years I have seen people without wristbands allowed to stay in the park but they cant ride anything. Last year it made me angry when CM's were not checking to see if you had a wristband and just allowing anybody onto SM, BTMRR, POTC, etc...:mad: I paid a premium to enjoy this night with my family and it almost seemed like any other EMH night, short of the special fireworks and parade. I will probably not go for the next several years.

Cinderelley
02-03-2011, 06:10 AM
If you are on a tight budget, I would skip it. There is so much to see and do that you won't be able to get everything done. Also, to get the full value, your kids would need to be able to stay up very late. You didn't mention how old they are or how early you will be getting up the next day.

If free dining gets offered again and the extra money appears, it is a nice perk to consider.

Have a great trip! :thumbsup:

Trev&Ev Mom
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
We went 2 years ago and did Halloween Party...that was great, but would I do it again? Not sure. This past December we did the Christmas Party and although it was great and a magical Disney experience, I wouldn't do it again. I would def recommend doing anything Disney offers once as it really is something to remember, but more than once might be too much, especially at the crazy prices they charge for these after hour parties.

forever a child
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Have they set the 2011 dates yet?

Not until 6 months from dates they start, so I have heard. So I guess around May 1st we should see them (since the parties start in November).

joonyer
02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
We have not been able to attend the Christmas Party, but we have been to Mickey's Halloween party on three occasions and absolutely loved it. The parade viewing was crowded but the attractions were pretty much walk on. We went on week-nights. But we have not been to a party since 2008, so I can't really speak to the issues with crowds that others have mentioned, particularly last year.