PDA

View Full Version : Electric fireplace

GA girl
01-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I have never used my fireplace and have been looking at electric fireplace inserts to go in there. Any one have any suggestions on them. We looked at a Duraflame today, but it was in a cabinet. I just need the insert to go in my existing fireplace.
I have found a couple around $200 on the Internet.

paragon
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
I sell hearth products.
What exactly are you looking for? Something that gives you heat or just ambiance?
There are several things to consider here.
Is your fireplace a masonry fireplace ( made of bick ), or a steel manufactured fireplace.
Electric fireplace isn't going to give you any real heat. They are just simple heat element heaters with a small fan, and of course if you lose electric power, it wont work.
There are also "gas log" units which go into a fireplace, but again, not much heat.
In order to get the "best bang for your buck", I would reccomend a fireplace insert, either gas/propane or woodburning, or even pellet ( but pellet also requires electricity)
A gas unit will give both heat and ambiance, and will also pay for itself in a few years. A wood burning insert will pay for itself in about two years.
Unfortunately, you just missed out on the 30% tax credit that was availablle for wood and pellet installs.
I probablly just gave you more than you were looking for, but your post cught my eye. If I can help any further, just ask!

GA girl
01-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I really do not want it so much for the heat, more for the look. Our fireplace is in the center of the house, so running gas to it would be difficult and expensive.
Our fireplace is not brick, it is more of a prefab insert. That is why we have never used it. I am scared of having a fire. I know several neighbors with the same fireplaces use theirs all the time without problems but it makes me nervous.
A little extra heat would be nice, but not necessary. We usually have very mild winters. However right now it is 27 cold degrees and we had some light snow/sleet flurries this morning, so a fire would have been really nice this morning.
I know by the time I make a decision it will be hot again.

paragon
01-23-2011, 06:55 AM
OK, that information is helpful.
Premanufactured fireplaces are very safe to use, the issue is that they simply do not provide any real heat. Builders tend to use the least expensive unit they can buy and I sell more gas or wood inserts to people tying to convert those fireplaces, up here in NH, we call those "built in air conditioners". These unites are just poorly designed and often allow too much outside aire down the chimney causing "blow back" or poor drafting.
Now, you mention electric fireplace and have only seen them with a built in surround, have you seen the "stove" type? Wal Mart actually sells a small "electric woodstove" which is actually quite nice, especially if you're only going for the look. Another possibility would be to look at some of your local better furniture stores as they may have them too. We have "Jordan's Furniture" here in NH and MA and they have a very nice selection. There are probably better furniture stores near you which may have thm too. I have also seen the stove type ones at Sam's Club and Lowes as well. It might be something to check out.
Duraflame stax logs are another easy and inexpensive and also safe way to go- duraflame doesn't build creosote in the chimney which is the major cause of chimney fires, and they also do not snap or pop,(they do crackle, but thats not the same as a pop or snap ) throwing sparks out into the room. You just need to use them properly- set them in the fireplace, light, and let burn. Do not poke them or break them up, they are designed simply to burn until done.
What about using a fireplace candle set? Some of these are also very nice.

garymacd
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
After watching the news of your winter in Atlanta this year, I would seriously think about getting a gas insert. Many of them come with timers, thermostats and even remote controls so that you can have heat when you want or need it.

Even if the electric power goes out, the gas or propane fireplace will still give you heat. Not a lot, but certainly enough to keep you warm in the immediate vicinity. Our gas fireplace keeps our family room quite cozy and sometimes downright hot when the fan is running.

GA girl
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I ordered a Duraflame electric fireplace insert. It was delivered today. So far I am pleased. It puts off as much heat as a space heater. The "flames" are LED lights that reflect off the back of the fireplace box. You can use it with or without the heat. I had it installed and running in less than 10 minutes!
The fake logs look much better than the fake plant that I had in there.:mickey: