PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Resorts?

Belle1217
01-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I need some advice on Deluxe resorts. We have never stayed in one before and we are having a hard time choosing one. There are 5 of us DH myself and 3 children(13,10,7). Where would you stay? I love both the Poly and the Contempory. My DH loves Boardwalk Kids want Animal Kingdom. Also do you think it is worth it to do a theme park view. If we stay at the Poly or contempory I think I want to do the theme park view. I have a pin code so the prices are very good. Thanks for your help!:mickey:

sassy2000
01-22-2011, 08:48 AM
I have only stayed at 2 of the deluxes, Poly and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I loved both of them for different reasons. I'm pretty sure you would be unable to get a regular room at AKL with 5 people. Even though it is a deluxe, it does not have the extra pull-out bed for a 5th person. I think Poly would be your best bet. The rooms are large and can sleep 5 easily. You have the monorail for quick and easy transport to MK and Epcot. Plus the hotel was beautiful. We loved the volcano pool and slide. There are 2 great table-service restaurants there, Ohana and Kona. You can watch the fireworks and the electric water pageant from the beach with the music piped in. We only had a garden view but if you can swing a themepark view then I would definitely do it.

BTM
01-22-2011, 10:28 AM
We have stayed at several resorts through the years and I must say that the Poly was the best experience for us. We stayed in a garden view room to save some money it was great. It was only a short walk to the beach for great views of the castle. The pool is great and we enjoyed afternoons there. The monorail access is the best! Its a quick walk to either line for direct access to the MK or Epcot. We also really enjoyed sitting on the beach at night watching the fireworks with the music piped in. Sometimes with the Electric Water parade at the same time. The rooms were also very big. We had 2 queens and a full sofa/pull out so for 5 people this would work. The Poly is a great property and I would highly recommend it.

luvdiznee
01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
In both the Poly and BWI we had the extra bed. I personally can't wait to get back to AKL. That Savannah view was beautiful. :cloud9:

But those are some great resorts to choose from. Good luck with that. :mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
One consideration should be which park your family wants to visit most often. Comp, Poly & GF are great choices if you want easy acess to MK. Comp is nice because you can walk to MK. Also Poly is nice because you can walk to the TTC and get on the EPCOT monorail w/o having to transfer from the MK monorail.

The EPCOT deluxe resorts would be a good choice if you like DHS & EPCOT the best. Easy walk or boat ride to each.

And of course the AKL is close to AK.

No "bad" choice.

SBETigg
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
It's really not necessary to have the view, but if you want an extra special experience, it does help. I love the monorail Deluxes for the location. I think if you're trying Deluxe for the first time, that's the place to start. Plus, the standard rooms might not be big enough for 5 at AKL. At Poly and Contemporary, you will have the day bed and two queens. The Poly would be my preference of your choices.

johnO
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd choose the Poly....very immersive and "Original WDW"

BugeyedMuggy
01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
For 5 people we have stayed at the Poly & the YC. Both we were given upgrades and that made all the difference. You do need to make sure you can have 5 people in the room.

ibrowse17
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Have stayed in only one, the Wilderness Lodge. Having been to Disney when it had only three resorts, I have always enjoyed the MK area and using the boats to get around. The WL fits both, and reminds me of the trips I took as a kid to the great park service resorts out west. Fort Wilderness was the first resort I ever stayed at, and is my all time favorite. The WL carried on that atmosphere, and offered much to make our stay there feel special.:thumbsup:

javamama
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM
We have stayed in a few CR, Poly, WL, and soon the YC. We have had the MK view at the Poly, and it was great but at WDW how much are you really in your room? Granted I do love waking up to see the castle, or going back and watching the Wishes show, but it doesn't make the trip IMO. As for the CR, it has great memories for me as a kid we always stayed there so last year when we stayed there it was great, my dh wasn't really keen on the theming but he loved our room. As for the WL it's fine, it's a great value for being a Deluxe Resort, plus close to MK, and a good pool for kids.
This year we chose the YC because we love the resort, it looks beautiful the pool area is a waterpark basically, and it's a short walk to Epcot, plus the Boardwalk is right there too and that is great to visit also. Plus we wanted a change this year we usually stay at MK area resorts.
Another few plusses are Poly you can walk to TTC, and CR we walked everytime to MK.
HTH's have a great time!

BrerGnat
01-22-2011, 03:33 PM
When are you going? That might make a difference, particularly if you forsee a lot of pool time in your trip.

I am going to suggest the Beach or Yacht Club, over the Boardwalk, if you decide on an Epcot resort. These two resorts share the most amazing pool complex on property! And, your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy it to the fullest. Beach Club is an all around wonderful resort. I have nothing negative to say about it at all.

If you go with an MK resort, my suggestion would be Contemporary. It's very nicely decorated inside, and feels "adult" which you and your DH will appreciate, although it's not short on fun themeing for the kids at all! Plus, it also has a pretty nice (large!) pool area, access to the lake, a direct ferry to WL/Ft. Wilderness for additional recreation/dining, etc. and the ability to WALK to the MK, which is just wonderful. The rooms are HUGE here and all comfortably will accommodate 5. If you can spring the Theme Park view here, it's nothing short of spectacular!

AK will not accommodate your family. Room there only have 2 queen beds and have a max room occupancy of 4. Same goes for WL.

LudwigVonDrake
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
While I LOVED the Polynesian I would suggest the Wilderness Lodge. You feel isolated from everything though you're a couple minute boat ride from the MK :boat:

eandrsmom
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
We've stayed at all three monorail resorts. Poly is our favorite. The pool is awesome, and the atmosphere is great. Our stay at the Contemporary was nice, but the environment wasn't as kid friendly. I can't comment on AK, but I've heard it's great too. As far as view, we've always had a garden view room. It wasn't worth it to us. Different people have different opinions about it. For us, we actually enjoyed getting a snack and watching the fireworks/water parade on the beach.

Belle1217
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I think the the Poly won!! We are going in Nov.-Dec. and our favorite park is Magic Kingdom (well my favorite).:secret: Does the Poly decortate for christmas? I have seen pictures of some resorts that look amazing!

I am also using Magical Journeys for the 1st time. I have read so many wonderful things about them on here! Going to let them know now so they can book it for me.

grumpydude
01-30-2011, 11:39 PM
don't forget Wilderness Lodge, very cool:number1::thumbsup:

tnpoohbear
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
We have stayed at the GF twice and once I got the Castle view. It was great and I am glad we did it but I would not do it again, the cost was just too much for me. It was really nice though to sit out on the balcony and watch the fireworks!:mickey:

Genie1953
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Yes, I have heard that Poly decorates...and you will absolutely love Magical Journeys...they just cannot be beat!

Fastpasssteve
02-01-2011, 01:40 AM
I think you received some solid advise from those contributors above:

The Polynesian, The Contemporary, The Wilderness Lodge (all Magic Kingdom area) or the Boardwalk Inn (EPCOT area) are your best bets. You would not regret any of these resorts.

Enjoy your trip!