PDA

View Full Version : Place for a drink at one of the resorts?

Momto3littlemice
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
My DH and I would like to have some time without the kids on our next trip. Luckily my parents will be along to watch the kids for us but now the question... where to go? It will just be us, we are staying off property with a car and it will be after dinner time (maybe 8 or so). Ideally we would go to a resort for a drink, dessert, or something fun like that. First of all, are we able to park at a resort that we aren't staying if we don't have an ADR there for a few hours? Secondly, what would be your pick of places...:mickey:??

faline
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
You can most certainly visit any of the resorts you'd like - you should be provided with a 3 hour visitor's pass.

There are many lounges throughout Disney World that you might enjoy. If you want some entertainment with your drink, consider Dueling Pianos at Boardwalk.

Some of my favorite lounges include:
Tambu Lounge at the Poly (if you're there in time for the fireworks, take your drink "to go" and head down to the beach to watch the fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant)

Victoria Falls at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Take a walk around the outside areas and ask to use the night vision goggles or take your drink "to go" and head up a flight of stairs to sit by the fireplace)

Territory Lounge at Wilderness Lodge (You can also get your drink "to go" here and head out into the lobby to sit in rockers by the fireplace)

Mizner's at the Grand Floridian - there's a great band that plays right outside this establishment in the evenings.

There are more but these come to mind at the moment!

mook3y
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Tambu Lounge at the Poly (if you're there in time for the fireworks, take your drink "to go" and head down to the beach to watch the fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant)

This one gets my top vote. :)

SBETigg
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I would park at one of the monorail resorts and do a monorail pub crawl. Something at California Grill, something at Tambu Lounge, and then something at Mizner's. It will make a whole evening of it, and you can take your time with it, have some snacks along the way, maybe catch the fireworks at one of them and the Electric Water Pageant at another.

Momto3littlemice
01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh, these are all great ideas! Admittedly, I have been to none of these places so I can't wait to check them out! I also remember hearing about a good pianist at maybe POR? We love music so that might be an option. But, I've never seen the Wilderness Lodge and always wanted to so I like that idea too! Dueling pianos sound super cool too! I may need to get grandma and grandpa to watch the kids two nights! :mickey:

slottedpig
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
His name is Bob Jackson and he is very good. The lounge though at POR is nothing special. I like the other suggestions better for ambiance but Bob is outstanding.

dmallan
01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
His name is Bob Jackson and he is very good. The lounge though at POR is nothing special. I like the other suggestions better for ambiance but Bob is outstanding.

Agreed. It's more of a "family" atmosphere and can be noisy. Not the place I'd go for some time alone with DH.

Dirty Bird Street
01-22-2011, 08:19 AM
I would park at one of the monorail resorts and do a monorail pub crawl. Something at California Grill, something at Tambu Lounge, and then something at Mizner's. It will make a whole evening of it, and you can take your time with it, have some snacks along the way, maybe catch the fireworks at one of them and the Electric Water Pageant at another.

A monorail pub crawl... I know it's early, but this easily qualifies as the best thing I've read about today. Far more manageable than Beers Around Epcot, and yet distinctly Disney World. Is there a way you can get a finder's fee for this?

Momto3littlemice
01-22-2011, 08:43 AM
As I check in to all these ideas (which are so great!), I started to wonder how much to budget for this. Can anyone give me an idea how much a glass of wine or mixed drink would cost at one of these lounges? (just a ballpark would be great, we've lived lots of places so I've seen quite a range):mickey:

SBETigg
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
A monorail pub crawl... I know it's early, but this easily qualifies as the best thing I've read about today. Far more manageable than Beers Around Epcot, and yet distinctly Disney World. Is there a way you can get a finder's fee for this?

Do it, have a great time, and report back-- that's payment enough. :D

It is a lot of fun. I love all of the lounges along the way. The only one that can sometimes not work out is California Grill, but I have substituted with The Wave. Also, you can just grab a drink at Narcoossee's if you're not eating there, which is sometimes a nice switch from Mizner's. But I love Mizner's. It's probably the most relaxing of the monorail lounges, for me.

I started to wonder how much to budget for this. Can anyone give me an idea how much a glass of wine or mixed drink would cost at one of these lounges?

It can get pricey. I would say to budget for about $15 a drink (even with the wine, more or less, the wine selections can be expensive, between $10-$20 on average, but can be higher if you choose).

johnO
01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Monarail Pub Crawl sounds fun! lol

Melanie
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Another vote for Tambu Lounge. :papple:

dyin tago
01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
dw and I have done this several times and love it.

just to get a tropical drink and sit in the awesome lobby at animal kingdom lodge or sit in the chairs overlooking the savannah is great!.:mickey:

the dawa bar at animal kingdom park is another favorite to stop for a rum runner when it`s hot !

phlo8810
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I love Tambu lounge as well.
Also there is a good place connected to Jiko at AKL that is very nice.
Or you could go to the Boardwalk. Jellyrolls is a great bar and there are many other options around there.
In the parks the tequilla bar in Mexico is GREAT. I have spent alot of time in there, as well as getting drinks to go in UK and watching the british invasion is another good time.

jokat
01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
A big :thumbsup: for Bob at POR lounge. Relaxed, pub atmosphere and Bob is a riot. We have seen him several times and will go back.

Also love the lounge at the Poly. Grab a pineapple drink and walk the beach down to the GF, right past the wedding pavilion. Very romantic! Consider ending your stroll at Narcoossee's for dessert and a night cap. A nice sit on the dock afterward will be in order as you watch the castle change colors over the lake. :cloud9:

minnie-mouse
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
My vote is for Poly, Tambu Lounge too. You can relax and have a drink there, get a Dole Whip down in Capt Cooks, eat it outside on the patio, then take a stroll on the beautiful Poly grounds and beach. Very romantic at night with the tiki torches lit.

nkereina
01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
How often is Bob in the POR lounge? Is he there late? Might be nice to pop in for a drink and hear him on our way back from the parks, I'm staying at POR.

lawgirl
01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
The Victoria Falls lounge at the AKL is amazing! And its so fun to walk around outside and use the night vision goggles. Also, I think Jiko may have a wine bar as well...definitely worth a trip over to the AKL! If you love wine, then Jiko is the place to go.

big blue and hairy
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Another vote for Tambu Lounge. :papple:
Me too!

:sulley:

spinnerf
01-29-2011, 10:16 PM
My vote would be for POR, sure its loud in the bar, but you can sit in the "lounge" to the side of the bar and its a bit calmer. Bob will make you CRY with laughter, and getting away from the kids, I think that would be a good thing.

Fastpasssteve
01-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I have two ideas for adult, evening fun:

1) Mizner's Lounge in the Grand Floridian Resort. It's a great bar and you can enjoy your drinks out in the main lobby where a fabulous big band plays in the evenings alternating sets with a concert pianist playing popular Disney themes. So lovely, so elegant, sooooo romantic. You could have dinner at Narcoossee's or Citrico's. That would make for a beautiful evening. After dancing in the lobby to the band's beautiful music, you might want you child to spend the night in the grandparents' room!

2) If you're looking for a rowdy musical romp, you might go the the Boardwalk Resort. You could have dinner at any of the restaurants there and then go to Jellyrolls. Jellyrolls is a piano bar where there are two grand pianos, with excellent players. They have great voices and the entire audience sings along with their top 40 classic hits. The drinks are good and the music better! I love going to this place. Lots of laughter, great times, and music. If you want more info, check Jellyrolls out on the internet.

Enjoy your trip!

Mousemates
02-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Victoria Falls at AKL

johnO
02-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Gonna have to set up a WDW date with DW the next time we're down..

TheMartellFamily
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Tambu Lounge, enough said!