PDA

View Full Version : Conquering Separation Anxiety!

Dulcee
01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
So back in September some of you may remember my post questioning to adopt an adult dog that we had fallen for but who also came with some added baggage of separation anxiety.

Well after falling in love with the three year old husky/shepherd mix we decided to take the chance and started the long road to working on her anxiety issues.

In the beginning she'd follow me everywhere in our small apartment and when we left her alone we crated her and would come home to buckets of drool and a dog so ecstatic to see us it was obvious she had thought we had left her for good. The first time we tried not crating her she ripped up a carpet and ate three sets of blinds in her anxiety attack. :rolleyes:

Well fastfoward almost six months later. After much desensitization to keys, coats, a strict exercise plan, a high protein diet and the investment in several kongs we have finally gotten her to the point that she no longer needs to be attached to my side when I'm home and we can now leave her in our bedroom with her crate door open while we go out and come home to a calm (drool-less) puppy. Today we went four hours on our own without being locked in the crate to great success.

We are so excited and proud of our puppy! :whew:Just wanted to share our accomplishment!

tinkerbellfan246
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Thats awesome! My dog has bad separation problems especially when we leave for vacation. We actually have to leave him at the vet, because he gets sick. :( but congradulations on your success! :mickey:

SBETigg
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
That's wonderful! Great news. They're so worth the effort for the joy they bring us, aren't they? :thumbsup:

deedeebee
01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
That's great news! My sister has a new puppy, she came with many problems. She has been getting better and better, we are really hopeful. Our dog, (a tripod) has been one of those dogs with very few issues, except for missing a hind leg. She is the best friend in the world! Good luck with your friend.

faline
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Sounds like things are progressing quite nicely!

forever a child
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Congratulations! What a great story. Many people would have given on a dog like that. I have worked in dog rescue and your story is wonderful to hear. Our deaf aussie had separation issues too when we got her...more to do with my daughter leaving or being out of her sight. It took a lot of work but she is great now and can handle DD leaving with no problems. It just takes patience, love and a good training. :puppy:

roses
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
:goofy: What great news!!

princessgirls
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Congratulations!! Great news!!:thumbsup:

Glad your Dog is doing so well, and is becoming more comfortable in his new home!

Julie:mickey: