PDA

View Full Version : Did you surprise them?

plutosnana
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm here to ask another question.
Never done, and never had this before in my life, but did you surprise someone that you're going to Disney World (as in all of you).
I always see those commercials on TV, but did you ever do that? It sounds like fun! :)

:goofy:

faline
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Once - but Disney World was actually the secondary surprise. Several years back, I decided to surprise my husband with tickets to the Daytona 500. Because I couldn't find a decent hotel in the Daytona area, I gave up and booked us at Disney. Now, we've been to Disney a number of times so I made sure tht my husband opened the information that showed we had a trip coming up to Disney World first. He was appreciative but not overly excited (we go often). I left the envelope with the Daytona 500 tickets for last. Now, that produced a stunning moment!

Momto3littlemice
01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I agree! Those commercials are awesome! I love to plan the vacation with my kids and help them get excited about it so we always tell them.

However, this year for Christmas we and our siblings on my DH's side surprised all our kids with a Disney Cruise for 2012. It was fun to tell them we were all going together (there are 23 of us) and that it was already booked! But it wasn't quite the same as on the commercials when they are leaving in a few hours! :mickey:

Donald
01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
We surprised our kids twice already.

The first time there was an early present under the Christmas tree.

The second time, we told the kids we were staying at a hotel so they could play with their cousin in the pool. They had a lot of fun and burned out a bunch of energy. The next morning, we woke them up at 5am and told them we had a plane to catch in 2 hours. They did not believe us. The youngest even argued with me: "We don't even have any luggage!".

We plan on going with this senario again in a couple of weeks. (Oh by the way.....hahaha!)

My kids are never going to be able to trust their mother!!!!:mickey:

mook3y
01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
last May, we picked up the kids up from school early and headed for Kansas City.

after about 20 minutes, my son - 7 at the time asked where we are going.

We told him out for dinner.

after about 45 minutes, he asked where we were going for dinner.

There is a place about an hour from home that we go for lunch in Missouri when we just feel like going for a drive.

As we passed the restaurant on the interstate, my DS and DD (5) we freaking out because I missed our exit.

Thats when we told them we were going on vacation - to kansas city.

they did not believe us at all until we tol them to look in the back of the van and they saw all of our luggage. :D

We get to KC, check in to hotel and let them pick out brochures and decide where they wanted to go in the morning.

They picked the zoo.

So we get up early in the morning and while they are getting breakfast, I got all of our luggage on the airport shuttle.

at this point the staff knew what we were doing and the driver came in and said ok, the shuttle to the zoo is leaving.

Its about a 3 minute drive to the airport from the hotel.

We pull up and get out and boy are the kids confused.

"this isn't the zoo..." they said.

I asked them where we were and my son goes up to the window and looks in and says "it looks like an airport".

Thats when I handed them luggage tags from Disneyworld and told them here, this might help you figure it out.

lol they were floored. My 5 yo started crying "Were not going to the zoo..... wwwaaaaaahhhhh" (our dramatic child).

we got it all on video.

The hilarious part was that about 3 weeks before, my son bet me that he could be trickier than me and that he would pull a trick on me way better than I could pull a trick on him.

Sitting in the airport waiting to board, he came to me and told me that I had won. :cool::D

chefmickey3
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Hopefully on Wednesday! Our boys have no clue that we are going for 4 nights! We go every summer but never this time of year. We bought them Wilderness Lodge pins from Disney mail order. We are going to present them with the pins and see what they say. They are going to go nuts! Now, we just need the snow to stay away and not mess up our flight!

Disney4us2
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I can't surprise DD with a WDW trip. I can't even surprise here with a Disneyland day.. she knows my routine.

But I did surprise her yesterday. I picked her up from school and told her we were going to the pet shop to get filters for the fish tank.

I pulled into the Japanese restaurant that we like for happy hour sushi. She was quite happy with this small surprise. And we did go to the pet shop and got our filters.

forever a child
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Can't surprise DD with a trip...she's on intercot too. :blush:

Basket Mommy
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
We bought them Wilderness Lodge pins from Disney mail order. We are going to present them with the pins and see what they say.

Ohhhhh, thanks for the idea! We tried to surprise our kids on our last trip in September, but I couldn't keep it a secret. Seeing those commercials makes me want to keep it a secret this time; we are taking the kids to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge in May. The kids think that my husband and I are taking an anniversary trip to Sanibel Island while they go stay with the grandparents. I had to think of an excuse to pack their clothes! Every time we see those commercials on TV the kids say, "We wish y'all would surprise us like that, but Mommy gets so excited she has to tell us!" I just agree and smile to myself. It's 100 days until we go and I cannot wait! I will make it this time, just because I can't wait to see their faces!

anneo
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
We surprised my parents with a trip in December 2009. When we were growing up, my parents would bring my 4 brothers and me to WDW every year, but the last time we had gone as a family was in 1997. My older brother had mentioned that he wanted to bring his family again, and he wanted my husband and me to go along. I told my brother I wanted to bring mom and dad and the rest of the family too, but I'd want to keep it a surprise from mom and dad. We booked the trip, and when our packet came in the mail, I gift wrapped it, and we told my parents it was an early Christmas gift. When they unwrapped it and realize that we had planned a family trip they started crying. It was so rewarding to give them that present.

wildernesslady
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
We just surprised my 3 daughters, son-in-law and 3 grandsons on Christmas morning. We had a bag full of balloons with the itinerary attached to the strings. It was the last gift of the morning and everyone thought we were done. My son-in-law and 2 youngest grandsons have never been so they will be fun to watch. We leave in 45 days. Cannot wait!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Can't surprise my son with the trip, we've been planning it since our last trip in 2008...however, we've never stayed in anything but values and once in a moderate and always wanted to stay Deluxe level but couldn't afford it...thanks to a PIN code I am planning to book us in Wilderness Lode for our trip...I am letting him think we are staying at ASMU until we enter the gates for the hotel

Ian
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I surprised DW once ... scheduled her off from work and everything without her knowing. Even packed for her!

We're doing the full-blown "surprise the kids" thing this May, though. We're booked at BWK for 10 days at the end of May and we're not telling them about it.

When it comes time to go, we're going to tell them we're going somewhere really lame (like a Snail Museum or something) and literally not let them in on it until we arrive in WDW.

Even better, DD has always wanted to be in WDW for her birthday and this year we're going to be there. She's going to be SO excited!

ransam
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
My parents did that every year to us, and it's still my favorite childhood memory...they would tell us we had to take grandma to the airport, and then when we got there it be us leaving. My dad was a musician and we only had one car back then so m y mom would tell us that he had a job and we were gonna drop him off, and then go eat...and sure enough we would end up going to disney. Family dinner would end up at the airport. It actually got funny, my sister and i would be in the back seat wherever we went and asking "are you missing any clothes? did you check the trunk" etc...
it be so cool to wake up in Shawnee, KS and end up in orlando...
someday i really want to surprise them as well...
my best friend from childhood just did the same thing for his kids, taking the que from my family.

I LoveJack
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
First trip to WDW with my DDs was a surprise. Picked then up from daycare with my MIL in back of car and took off. Drove straight thru from Oklahoma and got there the next day. We just told them that we were going to drive until the road ended and see where we ended up at. They were so surprised, wish we had caught it on tape.
Now days, we go at least twice a year, so not really a surprise. But my youngest, (10) still screams with joy when I tell her that I've got the airfare paid for.