PDA

View Full Version : Just Returned from Carnival Cruise

GreenBeetle
01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Had to share some thoughts on our first non-Disney vacation in many years.

I thought my kids were a little tired of Disney, so I did my research and booked a cruise on the Carnival Freedom 6 night Western Caribbean. While we loved all the Ports of Call on the cruise (Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios), Carnival just didn't measure up to Disney. Not in any way. I feel we all went with open minds, but my kids (ages 20 and13) were the first to say..."boy, this isn't Disney." We have been spoiled rotten by the Disney Resorts, Disney Parks, Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club and every single cast member working there. I have no specific complaints about Carnival, it was just the lack of "magic" we have come to love from Disney over the years. Only after we arrived at Disney's Vero Beach Resort for a few extra days of relaxation after the cruise did we feel truly at home.

We took a chance...wanted to expand our horizons...but we learned our lesson. Disney is our home away from home.

AnnaMom
01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Well you tried something different. I know the feeling I to have tried as well and it is just not Disney. We do get spoiled to the "Magic"

luvdiznee
01-20-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm ready to give RCCL Oasis of the Seas a try. :marg:But sorry your Carnival didn't measure up to Disney.

GreenBeetle
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
We pulled in to Port Everglades next to RCCL Oasis of the Seas....what a spectacular looking ship!!!

luvdiznee
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Yes it has a Boardwalk area and a NY Central Park area. And you can have a view from your cabin if you book it there.:marg:

Magic Smiles
01-21-2011, 06:48 AM
We took our first Carnival cruise last March, a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise and even though I have to agree that it is not Disney, we had the most beautiful suite. Our suite far surpassed what we can afford at Disney and it was still half the price.
We are going again next Month, Feb 2011 on a 7 night Carnival Southern Caribbean cruise. This time in a balcony room at an even cheaper cost since we have 5 ports and only 1 sea day and won't be in our room much. I have found that cruising is a perfect way to see many different places at a reasonable price. You have to remember that Carnival is probably the cheapest of all cruise lines out there.
We will still always love Disney, but Disney has been put on hold until they have some new attractions for us to experience:mickey:

DizneyRox
01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to our summer cruise aboard RCCL. It's been a while and can't wait!

No, I did see someone posted about 5 ports of call on a 7 day cruise. I did one of those, was my first cruise about the Monarch of the Seas and THAT was probably my most unrelaxing cruise. 5 islands in 7 days is a lot.

You might want to reconsider going off the ship all days.

We did:
Martinique - pass
Antigua - go
Barbados - pass
St. Martin - go
St Thomas - SHOP!

The above is just my observations... You can of course do what you want, just a warning on a possible hecktic week aboard the ship. When we cruise, we have a few stops that we don't bother to get off. In addition to the above, we pass on the Dominican and Puerto Rico as well. Sometimes gives us a few more days "at sea".

NJGIRL
01-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your vacation. I have to say Carnival is probably my least favorite cruise line. Not because I am missing "magic" from the vacation but because I just don't think the quality is there that other cruise lines including Disney have. Everyone has to do what is best for their own families but I hate to see families that have to means to travel not see all of the great sights this country and others have to offer. We do Disney every other year and on our off years we travel all over the place. My son is now 13 and has such an appreciation of everything he has been able to experience and other cultures he has learned about. There are alot of families out there that won't do anything but Disney so your not alone.

Magic Smiles
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I have to say Carnival is probably my least favorite cruise line.
As I previously said, Carnival is probably the cheapest of all the cruise lines and I thought well worth the money that we paid. I one day hope to cruise on Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise lines, but currently the families we are vacationing with can't afford the additional funds required for the same destinations with the other cruise lines.

NJGIRL
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
As I previously said, Carnival is probably the cheapest of all the cruise lines and I thought well worth the money that we paid. I one day hope to cruise on Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise lines, but currently the families we are vacationing with can't afford the additional funds required for the same destinations with the other cruise lines.

Yes, that is why they can be cheaper because they don't give you everything some of the other cruise lines do. Because of the fact I had cruised on nicer lines before going on Carnival I noticed the difference. Some people love Carnival Cruise Lines so it's your own experiences that will guide your opinion.

DizneyRox
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Yes, that is why they can be cheaper because they don't give you everything some of the other cruise lines do. Because of the fact I had cruised on nicer lines before going on Carnival I noticed the difference. Some people love Carnival Cruise Lines so it's your own experiences that will guide your opinion.
I remember my first cruise, we did the Monarch of the Seas aboard RCCL (it's a VERY old ship these days, but in the mid 90's she was something special) and at a few of the ports, I remember quite a few of the Carnival passengers oggling over "our" ship. At the time, RCCL always had the closer berths, etc which i didn't know until later was by design. One comment sticks out, and it was a family pointing up and asking, "Are those trees up there?" There used to be a pretty big difference between the lines... Not sure if it's still that big, but if it's anything like the ship wars, I imagine it is.

NJGIRL
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I remember my first cruise, we did the Monarch of the Seas aboard RCCL (it's a VERY old ship these days, but in the mid 90's she was something special) and at a few of the ports, I remember quite a few of the Carnival passengers oggling over "our" ship. At the time, RCCL always had the closer berths, etc which i didn't know until later was by design. One comment sticks out, and it was a family pointing up and asking, "Are those trees up there?" There used to be a pretty big difference between the lines... Not sure if it's still that big, but if it's anything like the ship wars, I imagine it is.

It's amazing how the ships keep getting bigger and everything they have on them to do. Between the rock climbing walls, fireworks and surfing pools I really think cruises give you the most for your money.

MarkC
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
We have been Disney-ized as well. We're going to take a cruise in April, 2012. We could have gotten a better deal on another line but we are so spoiled by Disney that we're gladly spending a few extra dollars. Plus, its our 25th anniversary and we're going aboard the new Disney Fantasy, so spending a little more for Disney quality is a no-brainer for us.

LisaP
07-24-2011, 12:00 AM
RCCL is the benchmark for cruising! Also great for families. I have not been on a Disney cruise yet, but will be putting it on our "to do" list within the next few years :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
07-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I did the same thing as the OP on our RCCL cruise last year. It was nowhere near the service we got on DCL, and not too far off the price either. :( our state room attendant was good. Our waitress in the dining room was ehh. The food was terrible. (It's the one cruise I didn't gain weight haha) I couldn't wait to get off and eat something better. DH who is usually not too picky with food, kept saying we could eat out at home (or make food at home) and get better food.
While I did not go into the cruise comparing it to DCL I did find myself doing it as I found subpar service and food.

NJGIRL
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I think alot of the cruise lines are cutting back on the quality of food to save money. On our last Disney cruise we didn't feel that the food was as good as our first trip.