PDA

View Full Version : Faxed Room Requests - Comp Upgrades

JabberJaws
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I know that complimentary upgrades are few and far between, but I myself have received a few here and there, so they do happen!

I am going to submit a faxed room request sheet to request adjoining rooms w/ some friends of ours we are going with. I also wanted to make a secondary request for an upgrade to a pool view (staying at AKL) from our standard view.

I don't want to do a paid upgrade, but at the same time don't want to just literally ask for a "free upgrade" haha as I don't want to sound greedy or anything, plus those are normally something just randomly given as a "magical moment" type thing.

Any suggestions?

PopPhan
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
If you want an upgrade, pay for it. Otherwise, you should make your plea at the desk when you check in.

Strmchsr
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
:ditto: and FYI, faxed requests are thrown away and ignored now. They were just getting too many of them. If you want to make any kind of request, like adjoining rooms or a specific building, it should be noted on your reservation.

BrerGnat
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I've read that the room assigning is no longer even done by a human now. It's all done by computer.

The computer won't see your fax...

Most upgrades are also randomly done by computer.

If you really want a pool view, book it.

JabberJaws
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.

If I wanted a pool view that bad, I would have indeed paid for it as yes, I know, that is the only way to ensure getting that kind of room. However, I, like most hard-working Americans, want more for free :thumbsup:.

Kidding of course, but if you don't hope and pray for a free upgrade when you stay at a WDW resort, then you obviously have never gotten one. Typically the ones I've gotten in the past just bumped up to the next category (most of the time standard view to pool view, which has happened to me at AKL before). But one time I was bumped from a standard view at POFQ to a $900/night King Suite at Saratoga Springs b/c they overbooked the POFQ, so there is hope.

That all being said, the info that they don't pay attention to faxed requests anymore is actually useful. Thanks Chris! Just a note, Intercot staff may want to update the Info section on the site to reflect this change.

I did make the request for adjoining rooms in the original booking. As for the upgrade I will just hope for the best.

Strmchsr
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
That all being said, the info that they don't pay attention to faxed requests anymore is actually useful. Thanks Chris! Just a note, Intercot staff may want to update the Info section on the site to reflect this change.

Good point. I didn't realize that hadn't been updated. I'll mention it to Carol. We're trying to overhaul the whole site right now to keep the most updated info.

JabberJaws
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Good point. I didn't realize that hadn't been updated. I'll mention it to Carol. We're trying to overhaul the whole site right now to keep the most updated info. No worries! That was good info to know as I have always done the faxed requests in addition to the request at time of reservation. It will definitely save me some trouble not sending that in though! Plus I won't have to pretend like I am sending an official work document as the only fax machine I have access to is at work lol.

TammiMcMan
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Before DVC came to AKL, it was very common to get an upgrade from standard view. In most cases, it was because they didn't have as many standards as compared to the other views and being the least expensive room, they'd bump up booked guests and re-open the standard views for more bookings. Worked out well for lots of people. Since DVC though, upgrades are less common. It's really just luck of the draw and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when and to who upgrades are given too.

I'd be very careful if you are asking at check-in. You may not want to outright ask for a free upgrade, as it's been reported by many cast members, this practice is not looked kindly upon by them. As you mentioned, the magical moments are wonderful and CM's like being able to give them to unsuspecting guests as much as we like receiving them. They usually come about when we're least expecting them though :magic: .

WishingStar2006
01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I always make room requests on my reservations....and my reservations are MONTHS in advance. I also do on-line check in which is 10 DAYS in advance...and when I get to check in.....nope, not assigned to room request....not even close. I don''t believe know if it's human or computer but I would have to think it's computer and the computer doesn't read room requests on the reservations either!!!!

JabberJaws
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I'd be very careful if you are asking at check-in. You may not want to outright ask for a free upgrade, as it's been reported by many cast members, this practice is not looked kindly upon by them. .

Yeah I would never be so bold as to ask for something like that outright. I was a CM for a while several years back and can see how that would come across as a bit...tactless...to say the least, as they are normally given for "magical moments." We will just cross our fingers and hope for the best!