PDA

View Full Version : First day at MK (a Sat. afternoon) with small kids

ewasilau
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi all!

Our flight lands around 1 pm this Sat. We are taking the Magical Express to POFQ. I figure, best case scenario is that we are at MK at 3 pm and am prepared for more like anywhere from 3:30-4:30, if there are no glitches along the way. The touring plans website gives the day a 5.5 out of 10 - I think it will seem really crowded to us, having only been at MK on a weekday (in Jan.) before. WIll it?

We have an almost 3, 4 and 1/2 and almost 7 year old and reservations for 5:25 at the Plaza. Is there any way that they will want to sit down or should we just abandon the reservation now? (I wanted something inside the park). If we don't abandon it now, can we cancel it last minute? If we keep it, are we set up well to see the electrical parade?

Thanks!

spinnerf
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
I would hold the reservation and see how the kids feel that day. You can always walk up to the restaurant and cancel in person. The kids may be supercharged and not want to sit... Plenty of good counter service in the park for later on when they crash..

Momto3littlemice
01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi there,

Sounds fun! I think if it were me I would keep the reservation. If you realize during the day that you won't be able to make it, go ahead and call reservations to let them know. Then a walk in will be able to be seated without them holding your table.

I can see it going both ways... either y'all will be starved and ready to relax at dinner or the kids will have none of it having been on a flight etc. Your kids are close to my kids age and I think it would be hard to predict. If you don't go to the TS, do you have a back up plan? Have a great time!:mickey:

LVT
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I vote to keep it. Everyone will be rather hyped up in the first few hours.:cloud9: A mandated break may be what you are hoping for. I hope you are going for the daily walk to get ready for MK.

KylesMom
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Believe it or not, The Plaza Restaurant is tradition on our arrival day - usually a Saturday afternoon. After the flight & subsequent bus ride to your resort, you'd be surprised how hungry you can get when the stress of traveling is over. We used to make the mistake of going and going until pure exhaustion set in the day of our arrival, but now we ensure we have a TS at this establishment before we've doomed ourselves to an uber-early evening. If you decide you don't want it, you can cancel it without problem at the last minute. Oh, and by the way, their desserts are awesome - you can always bribe the kids with that to get them to eat something if they're running on empty!

As far as seeing Main Street Electrical Parade, I'm not sure what time it begins to know if you're well set up for it. However, since it's right off the parade route, you should be able to snag a spot where all of your family can see it without too much trouble.

Have a magical time! :mickey:

jonahbear2006
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
liberty tree tavern is our tradition and personally, we dont give the children a choice. we talk to them before the trip and tell them that they are to be on their best behavior at all times or they dont return. We have never had any problems getting them to sit for dinner. I require that our children reserve their overzealous excitement for parades, fireworks, beach,and the poolside. The rest of the time they are in public they must hold their manners and eat like they wanna stay in the park for the remainder of the day. Id keep the reservation. I prefer table services. You get a break to visit as a family, you get refills for drinks (which is needed in the florida sun, regardless of the time of the year), and the prices arent THAT much different from a counter service at places like; kona cafe, the plaza, the wave, etc...

minnie-mouse
01-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I would keep that reservation. While your kids that age will be excited, they are going to be tired too and it will be good to sit and relax for a bit. Traveling from airport to hotel to parks is alot of walking, they will need a break. I am sure you probably won't get to MK til about an hour before your reservation anyhow so it will be perfect timing. Have fun!

eandrsmom
01-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I think they'll be fine. They'll probably be starving after a day of travel. We always have dinner at Chef Mickey's on our arrival day. The kids get to see the characters right away, so we don't have to wait in line to see them on our first day at the parks. I always find that Disney TS restaurants are pretty quick about delivering the food to the table. It may be faster than dealing with the lines at some of the CS places.