PDA

View Full Version : POP- preferred vs. standard

mamamarie
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Trying to decide between these two things:

Get a standard room at POP Century and stay for 8 nights/ 9 days

OR

Get a preferred room and stay for 7 nights/ 8 days.

Which would you prefer? Does a preferred room really make a difference? We will have a 4 and 7 year old with us and will be using the buses and probably will eat at the food court a couple of times. We will also have our own car but will probably not use it once we are at the hotel.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I once vowed to never stay at another Value unless it was preferred, but if staying at non-preferred meant more days at Disney, it would be hands down more days at Disney for me.

Especially at Pop, I don't think the difference in walking time is ANYWHERE near the cost of giving up days at Disney. Some non-preferred rooms are as close as preferred rooms are to the main building, and even the ones that are farther out are still not bad at all, at least at Pop Century.

The only difference between preferred and non-preferred is proximity to food court & buses, there are no other differences. Stay 8 nights!

PopPhan
01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Longer is better in my book!

I really don't know what is so special about the preferred rooms at Pop. Except for being a little closer to Classic Hall (IF you are in the nearest wing of the building,) there is little to make them worth the extra money.

mook3y
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
the standard rooms can be a much longer walk. However, if it was the difference between staying another day or not, I would happily walk the extra distance for another day at WDW.

Strmchsr
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Some of the preferred rooms at Pop are just as long of a walk as the standard ones. I don't think it's worth the extra money for preferred. I'd definitely go for the extra day.

clausjo
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
When we stayed at Pop last year, we were in a building that was pretty far from the main building. I didn't want to pay for a preferred room and, when I saw where we were, I was a bit concerned. But the walk wasn't bad at all and we actually enjoyed. I say book the standard room and stay longer!

LudwigVonDrake
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Normally I would go with the preferred room but if it means staying in WDW longer, go with the standard room :mickey:

KeriWDE
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
This will be our 3rd stay at Pop and we have never had nor requested a preferred room. Both previous times, we were in the 1970s and 1990s buildngs.

The 1970s was next to the Country/Western 8-track and the 1990s cell phone building (North end). Both times were quick walks to the buses and Everything Pop.

Seems like I read once that even the most distant buildings and rooms is a reasonable walk and designed to be within 3-4 minutes. But I could be wrong, I've had a high fever this weekend. lol

Also, I do remember reading that even preferred rooms aren't necessarily closer to the buses or EP.

PrettyMinnie
01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Stay longer! The walk isn't bad and the walk is enjoyable. Also if you are in the 90s, you can cut across the parking lot to save some time to buses. You will be able to enjoy a little more time in the most magical place on Earth!

:minnie:

Cinderelley
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I suggest the 50s area behind Lady or Tramp. Both of those buildings are close to the main building/bus stops. Also, you won't have to cut through a parking lot with small children as some others have suggested from the 90s area. We love the 50s section. I recommend walking around the resort to check it out though. The grounds are a lot of fun. :D

BigThunderFan
01-23-2011, 09:41 PM
In 2008 we stayed in a preferred room in the 60's section. While I liked the view much better from here, the walk was actually farther than the one we just had in the 70's. I just requested close to transportation when I did online check in.

ALWAYS go with the extra days! :mickey:

eeyorepoohfan
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Another vote for more days in a standard room! My DH and I have stayed at POP twice and always in a standard room. The first time we were in the 50s section past the jukebox. And in December we were in the 80s section. Both were very quick walk to the buses and food court. Maybe 4 minutes maximum. We've walked the entire resort and nothing will be more than a 5 minute walk maybe. Enjoy a longer vacation!