PDA

View Full Version : Worried about upcoming BLT stay

Aurora
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I booked BLT for a June stay for just short of a week, and after looking at photos, I'm worried.

We booked a 1-bedroom Bay Lake view, no preferences. I'm not that big of a modern-decor person, I like the warm cozy feel a little better, but I was willing to forego that for the proximity to the MK and if the room is bright and cheery.

The photos I viewed make the resort look a little starker and more corporate than I thought. For those who have stayed there, can you tell me:

Are the rooms bright?

How is the size of a 1-bedroom for 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 6, 12, 15)?

How is the size of the pool? (Overhead photos made it look quite small.)

If we get a low floor, how is the view in general?

If you've stayed at other Disney resorts with kids, did they then like BLT?

Is there any whimsy to the decor or does it have more of a corporate feel?

We're spending almost 200 points on this trip and I don't want to get there and be disappointed. The kids don't know about the trip yet, so if I change resorts, they'll never know.

Thanks for your any input!

Ian
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
We stayed at BLT this past December and loved it. I didn't think the decor was corporate feeling at all ... in fact, I thought it felt kind of homey (although admittedly not in a "log cabiny" kinda way!). It's more like a Tomorrowland-ish, condo type of feel.

The 1BR is very spacious and includes not one but two full bathrooms (very handy if you have a large family like we do). We were on the 4th floor and the view was great. We loved basically everything about the place and it's definitely become our new favorite DVC property.

We actually talked about BLT a bit on our last Insider podcast and it got rave reviews from the entire staff. :thumbsup:

chefmickey3
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
We toured BLT and then bought! Our favorite DVC resort is VWL and we love BLT. There are hidden Mickey's everywhere in the art work,etc. I did not find it to feel corporate but rather clean and inviting. Our three boys (9,7,4) loved it! The two bathrooms are really helpful! The rooms are big. The pool was more than adequate and they loved the slide and it was not very busy compared to other slides on property. We had a lake view 5th floor and loved the location. We could watch the Electrical Water Pagaent from our room and were on the same level as the bridge so very convienent. I can't wait to stay here again! Give it a try - monorail to MK - or even quicker to walk!!!!!!! Location, location, location.

Disney4us2
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
We haven't stayed there (yet), but did get to take a tour of it via a DVC member event. From the pictures I thought it was very stark and cold looking. In person it was just the opposite. I liked the clean lines of the 1br and studio. I liked the slide out pantry in the kitchen. It is just very modern looking, with nice warm colors.

As for the pool, we didn't get to see that much from behind the gate. It is a nice pool with a cool slide. It was not that small.

The view from the lounge is incredible. All I can say is wow. I hope to stay here some day.

Dyanna
01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
We just returned this past Sat from spending a week at BLT. We had a 4th floor Lake view. The room was wonderful. No complaints at all. The only thing blocking our view of the pool was the tall "trees" in the middle of the courtyard so it was also a little more difficult to view the electric water paegent so instead we went outside beachside to watch. We liked the stay so much that we booked again for the last week of Oct.

Aurora
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much for your replies! I feel better now. Good to know it has a warm vibe, I just didn't want to feel like I was at a Hilton (I know that sounds funny -- who would complain about staying at a Hilton -- but you know what I mean).

I didn't know about the two bathrooms!! That's a fantastic plus for us because, believe it or not, we only have one bathroom in our home. Not even a 2nd commode or shower. I know in this day and age people don't know how we get along with one bathroom and three kids (especially when one of them is a teenage girl), but somehow it all works out.

faline
01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
We stayed in a studio last summer and were very pleaed with our accommodations and, in particular, the location. The size of the pool was fine - the larger problem is that there was not enough seating around the pool that is shaded and not even that many tables that have umbrellas - folks were almost fighting over shady spots.

mdhiggin
01-31-2011, 09:48 PM
We'll be there in June too with kids 15, 10 and 6. The second bathroom is definitely a big plus. There is also a sleeper chair that helps a lot with that fifth person. Our kids like BLT the best, and we have been to all DVC resorts at Disney except VWL. The pool was nice with a really neat slide. You can also swim at Contemporary or hop on the monorail to Polynesian or GF pool quickly. The furnishings are not boring, just simple and stylish with some Mickey prints on the wall and muted Disney touches throughout. My tastes run more to rustic furnishings, but we still love BLT.

VWL Mom
02-01-2011, 09:27 AM
The size of the pool was fine - the larger problem is that there was not enough seating around the pool that is shaded and not even that many tables that have umbrellas - folks were almost fighting over shady spots.

I agree, there was not enough seating when we were there either. Another thing that bothered me was many chairs had towels on them but no people. Clearly people staked out chairs before they went to the parks. On a positive note, our room overlooked the CR pool and it was empty so we just went there. IMO, having that option is a good thing.

PlutoPlanet
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
We stayed at BLT last year and loved it. The proximity to MK is the best part. A 5 minute walk gets you to MK.

Well, I can't say the room was as bright as other rooms. It does have IMHO a bit more of a Hotel feeling than say WL or AKL. The view may be minimized by being on a lower floor.

Still, we loved it and will go back. We could see fireworks from our Bay Lake view room. We went to the lounge on the top. It was fine, but once we realized we could see the fireworks from our room, we stayed there.

I hope you have a great time.

MinnieMommie
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I stayed in a one bedroom at BLT with DH and 3 of our children and absolutely loved it (we all did for that matter)! We felt so at home there. One entire wall in the living room was windows top to bottom overlooking bay lake and this provided much light. There was an expansive, spacious feeling to the entire unit.

Even though we had a perfect view of the fireworks from our balcony we so enjoyed the view and sound system at the top of the lounge. Nice and welcoming for all ages!

You will be able to use the BLT pool and the two at CR. My kids used both. There is a small spread of "beach area" outside of the BLT pool. I love sitting there and relaxing. Beautiful nature and views!

Hope you won't be disappointed. I know we have felt very much at home at BLT (and absolutely love the proximity to MK)! :mickey:

WishingStar2006
02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
We stayed there last August...there were 4 of us, me and three college age children. The two bathrooms was WONDERFUL!!! And we had one on the pull out sofa, one on the pull out chair and one on an aerobed that we broght from home (of course I took the bedroom :blush:).

Our experience was totally different than all of the other posters but to put it in perspective, we are typically WL people but wanted to try BLT as a treat. We thought the decor was VERY Hilton/Corporate...we all commented that we didn't feel we were at WDW at all. During the week we were there the walkway to the Contemporary was closed for repair so it was a hassle plus made us feel less "connected". We felt that the pool and pool deck were WAY too small for the size of the resort. We had to hunt and hunt for ice machines (when needed) and a soft drink vending machine (eventually found one very well hidden). The accomodations were very nice but just did not have the Disney flair and feel. Perhaps we are just destined not to be DVC owners. At different times during the trip all of us looked across Bay Lake and yearned to be at the Wilderness Lodge....we're funny people I guess!

ThanxForNoticin
02-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I find this post interesting, as we have our first-ever stay at BLT coming up in March. Does anyone have any experience with the Top of the World lounge for DVC members? Is it hard to get up there? Do they serve food? If so, are there many choices? It looks really nice and we'd like to check it out, but we're trying to figure out if we should do dinner before going. Thanks.

dlpmikki
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
They have some food up there - the flatbreads were very good. More snack than main meal but it was enough for us. Don't think it has been as hard to get into as DVC feared.

Erin
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I stayed there in December 2010 but had a studio.
I can't say it is my favorite since I love VWL, BWV and AKL Villas.
The location is fantastic for getting to/from the Magic Kingdom. I loved my balcony! We were on the inside of the horseshoe with a view of Bay Lake. Beautiful!
As far as the decor, just not my style. I think the word corporate lines up with the vibe I had. I can't say the rooms are dark though. The big black TV cabinet was a little overwhelming in our small studio room.
That being said, I would stay there again but it wouldn't be my first choice.
I think you will have a great time with the larger room.
Have a wonderful trip!

mimi78
02-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I had to comment on this because I had the same fears before my trip to BLT this past October. I am happy to say though that my fears were unfounded because we ended up loving the resort! We own at the BCV so are more used to that type of resort (smaller, not high rise, etc.) but found BLT to be wonderful. Yes the décor is modern but that’s to be expected. The location is by far the best part, and I would not hesitate to stay there again. We also watched the fireworks from the Top of the World lounge both nights, and one night we had drinks and snacks up there. Like someone else said, not a full meal but it was good enough for us. If you had a late lunch it could probably suffice for dinner.

PinKy
02-18-2011, 12:39 AM
In a nutshell: we love it, hopefully you will too!

But um, why would you book a stay at a resort you don't think you would enjoy?? Just curious. For example - I wouldn't stay at Fort Wilderness unless it was the only thing available during our preferred dates..... just because its not really our taste. (I do think the sing-alongs are a fun idea though and the carriage rides etc - we're trying those out this year! so excited! I digress.... :blush:)

BLT is similar to the Contemporary Resort in theming etc - so its very modern and well, contemporary, LOL! We just love it there and find it to be very comfortable and homey. It may depend on what your version of "homey" is though. :D We love the dark woods, the set-up of the room, the 2 bathrooms, the kitchen island + bar and stools. Its big enough for our family of 5. It has just enough Disney theming throughout for us, but is not as cartoon-styled as say Pop Century or the All Stars. (don't get me wrong - we love Pop!)

Anyway - I hope you enjoy your stay.