PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Highlights?

Dirty Bird Street
01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
T-minus 6 days until I'm back at SSR for ten (!) days of Disney not-work.

As noted in the title, I'm a vegetarian (dairy and eggs okay), and one of my favorite things about Disney is, naturally, the food. I'm familiar with some of the safe pick-ups around the parks and resorts, and will be doing a fair amount of cooking in the room, by which I mean eating PB&J and donut holes.

Are there any other vegetarians or people with veggie family members that know of any rock 'em sock 'em veggie dishes at any of the restaurants at The Mouse? I remember having a great coconut tofu noodle bowl-type dish at the Brown Derby, and I'm more than able to survive at most buffet-style restaurants. I've always wanted to try The Land's table service, as I imagine that'd have some good vegetarian options.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (If push comes to shove, I'll just eat Rice Krispies treats with chocolate-dipped Mickey ears for the duration.)

btharvey
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Sunshine seasons food court (counter service) has several selections that "qualify" as your type of vegetarian, including Tofu and Vegetable Noodle Bowl , various salads a specialty, oak grilled flatbread veggie sandwich, lots of grab and go fruit and probably veggies, and possibly lo mein (might be a veggie lo mein) ... and/or fried rice. May or not. This menu was from last summer.

The Garden Grill, which is the sit-down meal, is pretty much meat and potatoes/dressing. I'll wager if you arrange ahead of time, their chef will have something available -- contact ahead of time to determine what it will be and whether you'd like the Grill or the Seasons. This menu was from September.

Of course, there's always lots of wine and beer, two good non-animal-protein staples. ;)

PlutoToo
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I had the oak flatbread yesterday. It was ok. Eggplant, zucchini, feta cheese, roasted red pepper, kalamata(sp?) olives, wheat flatbread. While I would eat it again, it was fairly bland. Needed some seasonings. maybe Italian blend or rosemary, garlic or salt. JMHO.

UCJen
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Boma, Jiko and Sanaa have lots of vegetarian options, especially if you are into Indian food.

I had Spiced Briami on orzo at Kouzzina. I would describe it as a Greek ratatouille. Very filling.

Tangierine Cafe has a really good veggie platter that features a falafel sandwich and has loads of sides like lentil salad, marinated olives, couscous, bread and hummus. It is load of food, though.

(Avocado Margaritas are vegetarian and you can get a fruit serving in as well. At least that is what I tell myself.) ;)

ElenitaB
01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Just about every restaurant has an offering that would be suitable for an ovo-lacto vegetarian, with the exception of certain places like the Biergarten, Yakitori House and the new Hacienda de San Angel. Some of the highlights from our last trip include the tofu with mango glaze dish from Sci-Fi, pasta from Olivia's and dinner at Kouzzina. On other trips I've really enjoyed the grilled veg sandwich from Backlot Express (DHS), the ginormous fruit plate from Tusker House (Flame Tree BBQ) and vegetarian platter from Tangierine Cafe that UCJen mentioned above. I've heard good things about 1900 Park Fair now that Chef TJ has taken up residence there.

I would avoid Paradiso 37 in DTD (they tried but definitely no gold ring). However, I'd hesitate to recommend them to an omnivore as well for anything more than drinks and appetizers.

If you make ADRs, be sure to annotate them to include the info that you're vegetarian.