PDA

View Full Version : Golden Globes

JanetMegan
01-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Watched most of this last night and for the first time in YEARS I had actually seen some of the nominated movies so I wanted to weigh in a bit. I have seen of course Toy Story 3, The Kids are Alright, True Grit (not nominated), The Fighter and finally Social Network (just last week.) It seemed to me to be pretty fair and I was pleased that some of the "non-favorites" won (Like Melissa Leo for the Fighter who I agreed was better than Amy Adams.) Also kudos to Christian Bale and while The Fighter wasn't my fave movie I saw, both of those acting awards were well deserved.

Was glad to see Natalie Portman win, I haven't seen the movie but I know she worked really hard to be in it and make it. Also just happy for her in general, maybe her new fiancee/baby on the way will not be the typical Hollywood mess.

Was glad to see the wins for Glee (all 3 of them) but a bit surprised to see it overtake Modern Family which everyone seems to love (I've never seen it-MF that is.)

Touching moment when Michael Douglas came out.

Was surprised no attention for True Grit which out of everything I have seen so far this year might have been my favorite?

Melanie
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I was overall pleased with the way it went last night. Of course, happiest for Colin Firth! :clappy: Going to try and get to see The King's Speech sometime this week.

Melissa Leo - I had to dig deep to remember where it was I knew her from (Young Riders). I do want to see The Fighter, and am glad Christian Bale won. Hope he's worked out his family issues. He seems really happy.

Love how the TV awards went. Even though Mad Men got knocked off it's perch, glad to see Boardwalk Empire take the lead. Great show! And Glee - well, woot woot!!! :thumbsup:

Oh, and it's rainy and yucky here today, so I think I'm going to watch Social Network, On Demand, and see what all the hype is about. ;)

JanetMegan
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I enjoyed it, but watched with dbf who is not on Facebook so he kind of didn't "get it".

SBETigg
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I watched. I do not much like Natalie Portman (since her rumored fling with Sean Penn when he was still married to Robin Wright), but I think she's probably going to get and deserve the Oscar for her Black Swan performance (which I haven't seen yet). Love Colin Firth! Haven't seen the King's Speech yet either.

The Golden Globes are always fun, but not a great indicator of the way the Oscar votes will go (though sometimes it is, like with such outstanding lead actors). I loved the Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer wins. I thought Ricky Gervais was funny most of the time, with a few bristling clunkers in between. I saw a lot of great dresses (Olivia Wilde, Lea Michele, Claire Danes, Jayma Mays) and some misses (January Jones). Helena Bonham Carter seems to enjoy looking kooky.

Melanie
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Helena Bonham Carter seems to enjoy looking kooky.

That's an understatement.

I didn't really see any dresses that blew me away. Really didn't care for Jennifer Love Hewitt's.

Sherri, I'd not heard that about Natalie Portman and Sean Penn. Ewww. She does seem really happy though.

So no Social Network for me today. I thought it was available on On Demand, but that's a no go. So I'm rewatching North & South (BBC) on this rainy day. :umbrella: