PDA

View Full Version : Taking kids

luvdiznee
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
whether it be your own, nieces, nephews etc, who goes only when the kids are on vacation or out of school.

I know there are some who take their kids during the school year and take them out of school, (I used to be one of them) but who won't do that and why. And is it enough for you to justify perhaps paying the higher rates say if you go during spring break or holiday.

My DD is now 13 and I won't take her out of school anymore for these trips. I guess I just can't believe what a difference a week makes. :mickey:

brownie
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
We just had our kids out of school for a week at the beginning of December to go. If our kids hadn't been doing well in school, we wouldn't have pulled them out of school. I would much rather pay the cheaper prices if I can, but not at the expense of the kid's education.

RedSoxFan
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM
I went for 9 days in December with DH and DD14 and my niece who is also 14. They both missed 6 days of school and were fine. They did a lot of work before the trip and made up the rest when they got back. However, next year DD will be high school and playing sports throughout the year so taking her out of school for that length of time will not happen.

BugeyedMuggy
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
We always pulled our DD for a week in May as long as her grades and attendence were all above average. When she reached high school we took trips during the summer or school vacations. She has now graduated college and we took her last October to celebrate.

Momto3littlemice
01-16-2011, 03:03 PM
We pulled ours our last time and will again in March. They are in elementary school and I feel like it is now or never. We do our best to keep attendance high at all other times and keep work turned in well and on time. I ask the teachers in advance if there is anything we can take along but don't expect them to have anything ready. Of course we work to make it up when we get back. We also spend some time working on some educational things while we are gone and this year will be helping them with their year long projects (my daughter picked food around the world as her topic... hello world showcase!)

I am pretty sure after my oldest gets to 6th grade we will have to shift to summers (eeeeks!) but I don't want there school work to suffer. It is made a bit more challenging by my husband's schedule since he is a professor!

I have to add that my parents pulled us out every year around Easter for 2 weeks when we were young. School isn't like it used to be, but we were A students and never had a problem making it up. They stopped when we were in high school because there was too much going on. Those memories I have with my family are so much more valuable than anything school taught... :mickey:

princessjojo
01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
We always hated for the kids to have to work so hard before a vacation to keep caught up, and some of their teachers wouldn't give them work ahead of time either, so when they were younger, we just never took them out of school. Our younger DS has always had to work really hard in school for average grades so to miss a week of school was really not good for him either way.

Now that our older DS is in highschool, it isn't an option at all. They're on a block schedule, meaning they get a new group of classes with each semester. That said, they're only allowed to miss 8 days within the entire semester and not fail. If they're sick, or have a dr. appointment that pushes them over the limit. It just isn't worth it. They can make up some time, but it only when it's convenient for the teacher and that can be difficult to work out, especially with sports schedules.

So we stick to the summers to just make it easier for us. I would rather pay the price, rather than have my kids pay for it at school.

luvdiznee
01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree that she has to be doing good in school to be able to take time off for vacations. And I'm glad she does do good, too. But at the same time I do feel for her when she has had so much work to do before and after our trips.

So I geuss I will be biting the bullet and paying the higher prices. I'd rather it not interfere with her education as well.

DizneyRox
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
We always go during school breaks. When people bring it up, I ask them this...

How would you feel if you son's/daughter teacher took a week off to go to Disney.

Often the conversation ends right there...

luvdiznee
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM

How would you feel if you son's/daughter teacher took a week off to go to Disney.

That's funny, because we have seen 2 of DD's teachers at the World the same time we were there. :D

One was waiting in the bus line to get to our resort and the other was on the same flight going down.:secret:

DizneyRox
01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
They sound like great teachers! Usually their contracts prohibit taking sick time for vacations, and I've yet to see a contract that allows personal time for the same and it usually specifically excludes taking personal time on days before and after school vacations.

Public schools?

Goofy4TheWorld
01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

They sound like great teachers! Usually their contracts prohibit taking sick time for vacations, and I've yet to see a contract that allows personal time for the same and it usually specifically excludes taking personal time on days before and after school vacations.

Public schools?

My wife took off the first week in December for Disney and she is still a great teacher.

Momto3littlemice
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I have to say that I disagree with the posting about teachers not being able to take the time so student shouldn't either. While I absolutely take school seriously and have many teachers in my family, I don't think a working adult teacher and a 6 or 7 year old student should have the same responsibilities. Childhood is a time to have fun, learn in all respects, and be with family. A teacher goes into the profession usually knowing that they get summers off and therefore not much other time during the year. I certainly don't want my kids to be tied down like that when they are so young -- there is plenty of time for that later!:mickey:

Ian
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
As long as my kids are good students, I will continue to take them out for family vacations.

I definitely value education, but I truly believe people have gotten a bit wack-a-doodled with the over emphasis on it to the exclusion of all else.

I firmly believe that well rounded children grow into well rounded adults. Spending quality time with your family, getting out in the world and having shared experiences, seeing new things and new cultures ... it's all as important IMO as "book learnin'."

Again, though ... that's assuming my kids continue to be good students. Obviously I would never take one of my kids out of school if they were struggling.

Ian
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Often the conversation ends right there...Wouldn't end my conversation ... I couldn't care less, in fact. Not my issue that they chose a profession that limits when they can take time off. I'm sure no one twisted their arm and it certainly has no impact on my decisions on what I do or do not do with my kids and my family.

It's a free country ... if they want to take a vacation to Disney in December they can change careers.

luvdiznee
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Public schools?

No.

DizneyRox
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
A teacher goes into the profession usually knowing that they get summers off and therefore not much other time during the year.
Another misconception... While teachers are often considered to be 10 month positions (though not all areas of the country do the "summers off") I have yet to meet a techer that doesn't spend a considerable amount of their "summer off" working.

While I agree that they should know this going in, it would be nice if all parents valued education as much as most good teachers.

It is also a misconception that early childhood education is easier to miss. Elementary eduction provides the core skills (reading, writing) needed in order to succeed later on. And it's not just parents that think like this, it's even ingrained in many of the administration. Cuts are usually made at the elementary school level before even looking at the middle and high school levels.

Oh well...

Frankly, I don't care much what people do with their children, but I can't help but wonder how it's going to impact ME later on. These are the same kids that will be taking care of us later in life.

Public schools?
No.
That was going to be my first guess...

luvdiznee
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM

That was going to be my first guess...

So why'd you ask...;)

clausjo
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I used to never take my kids out of school - until last year. My daughter's teacher told me that she takes her kids out of school for vacations and it got me thinking. I took them out for 3 days last year. They didn't have much work to make up and were able to complete it between the drive there and back. We had a wonderful time and they didn't suffer at all because of missing a few days. This year, I'm taking them out for 4 days. They fully understand that they are responsible to work on the plane and during any available time we have at the hotel.

I value school and put an emphasis on education, but I also value the importance being together as a family brings. Kids are able to learn outside of the classroom and, often, I think the education and experiences they get from a family vacation helps get them back into the mind frame for being in the classroom all day.

Also, I never mind when a teacher is out of school and, honestly, it's none of my business why they miss. As long as they've fully informed the sub of what needs to be done, that's between the teacher and the administration.

Just my opinion . . .

Scar
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't have kids, but I was a kid once and went though all levels graduating both High School and College. With the exception of the few weeks or so leading up to midterms or finals, I cannot for the life of me remember a week that, if I had missed it, It would have set me back. I mean, it's only a week. Even now in my job, I have no back up to do my work. I work a little harder and more during the week before and the week after a vacation and everything is fine. Why do people think that kids can't do the same with school? I know I did.

Frankly, I don't care much what people do with their children, but I can't help but wonder how it's going to impact ME later on. These are the same kids that will be taking care of us later in life.Rox, I always enjoy reading your well thought out posts, but this one is leaving me confused. Can you explain this a little more before I respond to what I think you mean?

DizneyRox
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm really trying not to sidetrack the conversation, but... The whole "timeout" rationale towards raising children is pretty concerning to me. And I'm not really just talking about timeout vs spanking, it's EVERYTHING.

Parents are much more defensive today than they used to be, blaming teachers rather than listening and helping. Children are never wrong, it's always the teacher.

Several schools in our area are no longer allowed to make gingerbread houses in school. They don't adhere to the wellness policy. They can make it out of whole wheat toast and cottage cheese if they wish, but no candy.

Pizza Party at the end of the year? NOPE! That too is against the wellness policy, they can have a salad party though.

Then you read about the zero tolerance no touching policies.

The list goes on.

What are we raising?

The trend will continue... Sadly in what I consider a very bad direction. I don't have much faith in that the children in schools today are going to be prepared to meet the challenges of the future. Just because they went to WDW when they were 8? No... It's more broad than that, but it's one of the reasons...

KennyandKim
01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
I took my kids out in March of 2008 and 2009. My children are no less rounded than someone else's who choose not to take their children out of school. My children have to have good grades and almost perfect attendance before we do this. My son is a senior this year and being taken out didn't make him any less of a well rounded young man because he went on family vacations and missed school. In fact he is joining the military and leaving for basic training 2 weeks after graduation.

My twin daughters are freshman this year and we are going in September so they will miss school. They are both A+ college prep diploma students. If taking my kids out of school for a week long vacation affects them negatively there are way more problems than that and deeper than missing for vacation.

Dsnygirl
01-18-2011, 02:13 AM
We took our girls out for vacations to Disney when they were younger, but now that my oldest is 12 and in 7th grade, we don't feel we can do it any longer. The number one reason is that our vacations tend to be longer, 8-10 days, and that is just too long for my older daughter to be out. She has so much going on in her classes during the week I can't imagine if she missed 5 or 6 days of content. (She is also in two accelerated courses, and if our commitment is to her doing well in them, I don't feel we can make them a secondary priority right now.)

I do think that if we chose to do a shorter trip, over a long wknd where the girls had a day or two off and we extended the wknd a bit and they had to miss one or two days, that would be fine... and that may happen in the future, we'll see.

But for now, with airfare being what it is to get down there, and the cost of tickets being so much more "economical" the longer you stay, I see our extended Disney trips being in the summer, and we will just have to learn to love & enjoy the heat!! :D (We're giving it a go this August... we'll see how I feel about it after we get back... ;))

Also -- I just wanted to say that our district has phenomenal teachers, and our kids score VERY high on all the state tests. And our teachers are allowed to take time off - we are a very family-focused community, and our district recognizes that not all teachers are married to spouses who can vacation only in the summer or during breaks. So, although we don't hear about it happening very much, our teachers could take a trip during the year, if they wanted/needed to. :thumbsup:

sportsguy2315
01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
The last two times I skipped school for Disney was my junior and senior years of HS for WDW and DL respectively and missed a day each time. Obviously, good grades and how your kid is doing in school is key, but sometimes you get lucky: When I went to DL, I had no homework, except for one class I had to give an oral report when I came back comparing WDW to DL :mickey: .

I'm no parent, but if it's only a day or two it's not that big of a deal! I do agree with previous posters as to how the education system in this country is getting nutty; so much has changed already and I'm only a junior in college! I mean, I want American kids to get a good education, but what lesson does that teach our kids if in our education system they do nothing but test, test, test? It sends a bad lesson at that, because how many jobs require you to sit at a desk with a #2 pencil and a test? None I'm thinking of right now.

luvdiznee
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
When I went to DL, I had no homework, except for one class I had to give an oral report when I came back comparing WDW to DL :mickey: .

And what was your grade for that?:teach:

Disney4us2
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I took my DD out of school this past December to go to WDW. She is in the 5th grade and this will be the last time I can take her out since she will be starting middle school in Aug.

mook3y
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

uhm... had a teacher take 11 nights off to go with us in 2007 :secret:

We have no problem with taking our kids out of school, but our kids are young and don't struggle with school.

For that matter, I took the same amount of time (3 years in a row) off for myself while attending a major University. Trust me I understand how much extra work you have to cram in for taking that much time off of school.

We expect that as they get into harder classes, we will not likely take them out of school for 2 weeks.

But until then we don't have an issue with it for our family.

lynnek
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
We took the kids out of school in November. Took the kids out for a bit the previous year to go on a business/vacation trip with me. To each his own on this one.

To us, schooling is a year round process even though our school doesn't go all year. My son, 12, did a reality check week last summer. Had to put himself on a budget, figuring in real costs for rent etc. Then figure out how many hours he had to work to accomplish that. "Worked" for me that many hours that week, rode his bike to and from work since he didn't want to budget in insurance or a car(1 mile each way--basically around the block a few times, payed for a taxi when it rained). Grocery shopped on a budget and cooked for himself based on a meal plan he came up with and I approved. The money he had to give Mom's taxi, the laundry he had to pay for etc we gave back to him at the end of the week for him to spend as he wished at Disney. I guess to me, there are so many ways to get/give an education and yes, I agree, they don't all have to be taught towards tests.

KylesMom
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Once DS reached school age, we began taking our trips only during the summertime. When he was a toddler, we would travel predominantly in May.

As DS has gotten older, our school policy has drastically changed to include the addition of truant officers and unexcused absences or "zeros" in classes - thereby not earning a passing grade if too many days are missed. Our annual 15-day vacation would put him way over the allowable days missed for a quarter.

In addition, DS is in several honors classes & he would never be able to make the work up if he were gone for two weeks. I should clarify DS' age - he's in 7th grade & will be 13 next month.

We've managed beautifully taking summer trips every year since DS was 6, and frankly the weather doesn't seem any hotter or the parks much more crowded in June or July than in May - perhaps because of the addition of EMHs? I'm not sure. At any rate, the decision was pretty much taken out of our hands once the school/state started mandating how many days our DS could miss before he became unexcused. I think it would truly bug DS if he was maligned by "the system" for missing school in this fashion.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just what's right for your family . . .

BellesRose
01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I plan on home-schooling my children, so it won't be an issue :thumbsup: