PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going back to college - Eek!

roses
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
:sick: Okay - so I'm really nervous about this. I never finished my degree - never really knew what I wanted to major in. Well - that's not true. I wanted to go to school for Travel and Toursim but no one supported me on it. So I tried all sorts of things - don't get me wrong, I was good at them (not to toot my own horn). I tried Computer Science - I exceled in it - but it wasn't for me. Tried Culinary Arts, again, was good at it but not what I wanted to do for a career (though people really like to come over for dinner now haha). So its been 8 years or so, and I've been working in the amuesment park industry for 15 years in the food service division. 15 years is a long time in that industry.... all the stress and long hours has worn me down. And I think, maybe I'm wrong, its time to do what I want to do (with still finding a job to support myself and my daughter while I do this). I am considering going back to school to get a Associates in Arts with a concentration in Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism. Then a BS in Hospitality. I know from experience I will have to leave my job, and find another that I can go to school and work. My job just entails too much time dedicated to there. And I've become more of a number - and without a degree there is no room to move up anyway. And to be completely honest. I am not happy with the company or my job any longer.

So, Am I going crazy?? Oh, I hope I am making the right decision... What do you think?

NewDVCowner
01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I think it's a wonderful idea! It took me ten years (yes, TEN years) to finish my degree as I bounced from major to major. I never did figure out what I wanted to do but ended up getting a degree in liberal studies simply because I had taken so many different classes it was what I was closest to. Now that I've been out of school for a while I think that it would be really nice to go back and get a degree in anthropology, something that really interests me, but I just can't afford it, unfortunately.

I took the majority of my classes (at the end) at an extension of the main campus, and noticed a huge difference in the make up (and quality) of the student body. Meaning, most of the people I was in class with with women that were going back to school after taking time off for their family. They were much more dedicated and engaged than the just out of high school set that I saw mostly at the main campus. What I'm trying to say that I think that going back to school when you're older and know what you want to do will allow you to get so much more out of the experience.

I think that it's a wonderful idea. Good luck!

clausjo
01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Go and be happy and proud of yourself! :thumbsup: I had my AA degree for a long time and, after about 10 years decided to go back. With the job market the way it was, I was realizing that I may actually need my 4 year degree at some point. (I've been working as a paralegal for 13 years and a bachelors degree wasn't always required, but it seems to be more and more lately.) I went back to school after all that time and with two young kids. It wasn't easy, but I did it and got my degree last December ('09). :party: I'm very proud of myself for doing it after all that time. I'm one of those that think an education is always helpful. You never know where life will lead you.

Good luck - it will be worth it in the end!

mickeys_princess_mom
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Support here!!! Go for it! I went back to finish my degree when my youngest started school. Three years later I graduated and began my teaching career. I retire in four months after twenty years! I, too, had hopped around majors in the first round, Art, Art Ed, so it took six all together. Heard something cool when I was debating about going back. Something like, "so you'll be (34) when you graduate in three years...sooo how old will you be in three years if you don't go back to school"...:mickey:
And for the record, now I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. :wave:

Mogie
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
DO IT! And don't look back.

teambricker04
01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree... do it!

I am half way through my second bachelor's degree. I worked in advertising and when I had my first child, I couldn't imagine putting in the long hours and going back to work after 2 (YES, TWO!) weeks for maternity leave. Then after my 2nd DS, I knew I never wanted to go back to advertising and took the opportunity to work in the Interior Design field.

I actually go to school online and LOVE it. Good luck with what ever you choose!

Dznygrl79
01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I say go for it!!! I broke my back in May 2009 by early 2010 realized I would not be able to go back into the same field. Now I am going to college online. In the next two years I will have my BA and two great career options. I say do it, that will be money well invested in yourself and make you a more marketable employee, also if you have some credits already they could transfer and it won't take you as long.