PDA

View Full Version : For those folks who have visited during the Holiday Season

finaldynasty
01-15-2011, 11:37 AM
We are planning a trip for Dec. 18-24. What are the parks like during this time? We normally go in June and are use to crowds, but are the crowds bigger in December then June?

Also, how much are the parties and activities at the parks at night?

Thanks!

:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
For the time period you are planning, the crowds should be bigger. Also the only party that you need a ticket for is Very Merry Christmas Party, but I don't know if they will still be offering those nights. If you want to the Candlelight Processonal, then make reservations for the dinner package, I imagine the seating will be hard to come by without.
Osborne Lights are no charge, as is the other activities. You will have alot of fun, bring warm clothes and alot of patience.:mickey:

1goofyfamily
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
The first few weeks of December are our favorite time of year to go. Crowds are generally the most manageable this time of year though from our 1st few trips in Dec to our more recent ones the word has gotten out (plus the variety of discounts they offer for this time of year) and the pace has picked up a bit but still nothing like summer or late Dec crowds. Used to never have to use FP but we had to last time. Draw backs are the weather is fairly unpredictable but for us anything is better than what it is in Iowa that time of year and limited fireworks schedule partly due to MVMCP and the parks being less crowded. MVMCP is a little pricey but everyone should do it at least once...@$50 for kids $60 adults. Osbourne Lights at Hollywood Studios is one of our favorite things to see and it's free. Also just checking out the decorations at all the resorts is fun if you have time.

Daisy712
01-16-2011, 04:27 PM
We were just there from December 17 - 24. We were also at WDW last July. The crowds in December were nowhere what they were last July. We were able to use our fastpasses for rides and had the strategy if the wait was more than 30 minutes, we would try back later. We were able to ride everything we wanted with no problems. On December 23, we walked right onto haunted mansion and pirates with no wait at 10:30 in the morning. We got to the parks later that morning and we were worried that we wouldn't get to do anything. The crowd was very small. Definitely do the Christmas Party. This was our first time and we would do it again. Keep in mind that it does get really chilly if not cold during this time of year. We were thankful we brought winter coats and sweatshirts for most of our days. We also had days that we wore short sleeves and enjoyed the sun. Good luck.

forever a child
01-16-2011, 04:48 PM
We are planning a trip for Dec. 18-24.

Last date for party for 2010 was Dec 19th. For the time you are planning, I would just skip the party because the last few days everything at the party will be available at the park (special parades, fireworks, etc).

We were there from Dec 12 - 18th and crowds seemed busiest on the day were leaving...like tons of people were checking into our resort, CSR. It will be busier during the time you are planning....but if you go realizing this and don't plan to do EVERYTHING but plan your favorites, use your fastpasses and just enjoy where you are during the holiday season...it should be enjoyable. The Resorts are beautiful, expecially the Deluxe resorts. Plan on taking family photos with the Photopass photographers in front of the resort trees and dont forget to plan your ADR's 180 days out. I saw many people turned away that did not have ressies. It's a beautiful place to be during the Holidays...I can't wait to go back during this time! As others have mentioned...weather is all over the place...we were there during 2 days when there were frost's during the night....brrr! It was cold but we still had a great time because we planned for it! However, the day we left it was in the low 70's!

ransam
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
we have gone twice during the holidays. it's awesome.
the only down side is that sometimes you get so wrapped up in Christmas, you kind of miss the Disney protion of it.

finaldynasty
03-03-2011, 06:48 AM
we have gone twice during the holidays. it's awesome.
the only down side is that sometimes you get so wrapped up in Christmas, you kind of miss the Disney protion of it.

I appreciate knowing this. I never considered that. Do folks normally resort hop to see decorations?

CanadianWDWFan
03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
The parks and resorts really do go all out for the season. If you can try to get out to see the other resorts I would see the deluxe resorts. WL and GF are two of our favourites.

I have seen it where folks have decorated their room windows with lights and other holiday decorations. It really does make the resort rooms stand out.

Mousemates
03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
I appreciate knowing this. I never considered that. Do folks normally resort hop to see decorations?

Our favorite "Christmas resorts" in order

1. WL

2. GF (number one if the orchestra or pianist is playing holiday music when you walk in)

3. AKL (it just takes so long to get there)

4. CR

5. Poly

6. YC

We have gone over the Christmas holidays the last several years and visit the resorts simply to see the decorations...and even if you don't do the others a boat ride over to the WL followed by a monorail excursion to the Gf is definitely worth the time and effort.

MarkC
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
While it can be crowded and the weather is variable, if you are a fan of Disney then being there when its decorated for Christmas is something everyone must experience. It truly does give a normally magical experience an even higher level of magic. Disney somehow does a great job of keeping that "Disney feel" to things but making it better.

Make sure to witness the candlelight processional. If you are able to stand for long periods, you can still stand just outside the theatre and watch/listen without the long wait. Your view won't be quite as good but you'll have more freedom on that evening. I really recommend seeing that. Enjoy.