PDA

View Full Version : Need wireless router help

kakn7294
01-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I have a Linksys wireless router that's driving me crazy. This particular router requires that a CD be loaded into a computer in order to set up the router / network. I have done that via my 5 yr old desktop but I have frequent problems with the network "disappearing" - sometimes I just need to find it and reconnect, sometimes I need to completely reinstall the software. I had similar issues with a printer needing reinstalled ocassionally (3 or 4 times a year, not nearly so often as the router) so I wonder if the problem is in the desktop or in the router. And I know that someday soon will come the day that the desktop will die on us and I don't plan to replace it with another desktop so that leads to my questions:

1 - Can I use one of the laptops to connect to the Ethernet cable and install the router on that particular laptop?

2 - If the software is installed into one of the laptops, will the wireless router then be able to be used wirelessly by that particular laptop or will it always need to be connected to the Ethernet cable?

3 - If the laptop that the software is installed in leaves the house, will the other laptops in the house still be able to use the wireless network / router?

4 - Or does this sound like a problem with my router and should I just replace my router? If so, what brand / model do you recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune on the router.

I do have an understanding of the basic connections, but I don't understand anything complicated so this needs to be an easy fix. PLEASE HELP!!!

DizneyRox
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Kindof sounds like you have a problem with the laptop not the router.

Typically, your network should appear as follows:

Internet <--> Modem
<--> Router

The connection between the Internet and the Modem would probably be a COAX cable or phone line (DSL). The connection between the Modem and the router is typically an Ethernet cable into the WAN port on a router.

If your Modem is also a router, then chances are you can just ignore the <-->.

Now, in the above setup, your router is really the only thing "connected" to the Internet. What I mean by that, is that the router is directly accessible by anyone on the Internet. This doesn't mean much right now... I'm getting there though.

Now, if the Router is a wireless router, then you can either connect to it wirelessly or via ethernet cables that go into the LAN port(s) on the router. If wirelessly, then I'm also going to asusme you setup a SSID, network name, etc on the router.

From what you describe, it sounds like you are trying to connect wirelessly. If you can just reconnect to the wireless network you configured, then I would bet that the problem is NOT with the router, but the desktop. The network is still there (since you are just reconnecting) so that's fine.

In this case, you want/need to diagnose the computer for problems. I'd do a malware scan, virus scan, etc. I've seen problems with LOADS of connections overwhelming the computer and shutting down the network card (happens to me when I use BitTorrent). It's an old network card that I just need to replace with one with better drivers in Win7. Anywho... That's where I'd start looking.

Now, something you said leads me to beleive that you MIGHT have your network setup as this:

Internet <--> Modem <--> Computer <--> Router which is pretty bad. In that case, your computer is directly accessible to the Internet It is also sharing the internet connection to any other PC's in your network, and in that case, if that machine isn't on nobody has the Internet. I hope this isn't the case, but that's why I mentioned it above. If it is, reconfigure your network as I describe above.

Having said all the above... I don't think you really need the disk to configure the modem. What I do is find out the IP address of the router (I usually set mine to 192.168.1.254, but by default it's usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) and look for the admin password. The username/password depnds on the router, but you can try admin/admin admin/password. You can usually find the defaults on the net somewhere or in the manual. Once on you can usually configure anything/everything manually.

You MAY need to do that from a wired computer, meaning one that's connected via ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.

I don't like to install all that "junk" on my PCs, clutters things up, so I do everything manual that I can. So, to answer some of your other questions, NO the software doesn't need to be installed somewhere.

Steps I would take:

1. Malware scan of your computer(s).
2. Virus scan of your computer(s).
3. Reboot
4. Another malware/virus scan of your computer(s) in safe mode.
5. Update your computer's drivers, this should include video/sound and most importantly your LAN/Wireless card drivers.
6. Wait and see

If that doesn't fix the problem, you can try another router, but I think you might be better off with a different wireless card in whatever computer is having trouble. Many laptops don't make this easy, but it is uusally possible.

I just upgraded my old wireless-g router to a new Asus RT-N16. I'm also running Tomato USB firmware on it to get me a little better control over the router. Setup was easy and I ended up being able to just reconfigure it with my old settings and plugged it in. Everything else worked.

kakn7294
01-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I have a separate modem and router. The modem is "plugged into" the internet with a telephone line. The modem has a blue cable that runs from it to the router. The router has a beige Ethernet cable running to the desktop. This setup is per the instructions that came with the router. The problem is not with the laptops, iPods, or printer - they are all under 1 yr old, as is the router. It sounds like the problem is with poor old Bob - the desktop computer. He's about 5 yrs old and runs on his original equipment which includes a really small memory and even smaller hard drive. I think he needs some updating! I do routinely run malware and anti-virus programs but I don't think I've ever updated the drivers and such. Thanks for the advice!

VWL Mom
01-14-2011, 07:36 AM
We had a linksys router and had problems similar to what you do. The disappearing acts happened every so often and I would need to reboot the desktop and they would come back.

We switched to FIOS (they provide router) a little over a year ago and haven't had that issue once.

So, my thinking is it may just be a hiccup with Linksys routers and not poor old Bob :D

brownie
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Based on the age of your computer, I'm assuming it's running Windows XP. You should be able to connect it to the wireless router with an ethernet cable without installing any software. I had our Windows XP machine set up this way for a while and had no problems.

In addition to going to the WIndows Update site (run the custom scan and not the express so you can select optional updates to install), I would uninstall the linksys software and just try connecting the computer to the router. See in Windows XP can handle it without any problems.

kakn7294
01-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Nope, it's running Windows 7. I upgraded from Windows XP.

DizneyRox
01-16-2011, 05:53 AM
And there are current drivers for your wirless card under Win7? Manufacturers love the forced obsolescence business model. Once they come out with a new product, the old ones faill out of favor and support and drivers are quickly abandoned. Sometimes they continue to work, often times they don't.

It might just be an older wireless card. You might want to look at getting a new wireless card (or USB dongle) that's better supported under Win7. I've seen some Wireless-N adapters under $10 recently. I'm sure you can find something reasonable on newegg dot com that gets good reviews that within your budget.

Newegg is my first and often only place I look for computer equipment. Great customer service and support. I've had a couple issues in the past that they took care of like old school Disney service.

Quick Search yeilds the following for $19 w/ free shipping, I can't personally vouch for it, I'm just looking at the rating...

TP-LINK TL-WN722N IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter

brownie
01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Nope, it's running Windows 7. I upgraded from Windows XP.

I'd still try uninstalling the software and connecting without it.