PDA

View Full Version : Verizon iphone anyone?

VWL Mom
01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
So now that the announcement has finally been made, are you getting one? If you are, 16gb or 32gb?

I got my preorder email last night and asked my teen sons what they thought. Of course their answer was "go big"! I'm leaning toward the 32gb but not totally convinced. One of my Xmas presents was money to pay for it so money is not part of the decision process. What would you do?

Ian
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
If you want my advice, wait. First off, this version of the iPhone doesn't take advantage of Verizon's upcoming LTE (aka "4G") network. It still runs on their old CDMA network, which means it actually has less functionality than the AT&T version. For example, you can't surf the web or text while you're on a call, which is pretty limiting.

Additionally, the next-gen iPhone should be arriving in stores this June. So at a minimum, I'd hesitate to tell you to go ahead and buy a phone now knowing that in just five months a new one will be out.

If I was you, I'd wait until either the LTE network version is available or at least until the next-gen phone is out. Preferably both!

jensantuit
01-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I am definitely going to get one :cloud9:, whether it is the 16 or 32 I'm not certain. I was wondering, how did you get a preorder email? Yesterday I went onto Verizon Wireless's website and submitted my email address for info but haven't received a preorder email.

magicofdisney
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Regardless of when you buy, go with the MOST memory.

I've had to replace my iPod (and next up my iPad when the new ones are released) because my dear sweet husband went with minimum memory each time. So, when I was in the market for the iPhone I went with the 32mb, without hesitation.

I'm an AT&T customer so I can't comment on Verizon service or features. However, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my iPhone. :)

Ruprect
01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I couldn't agree with Ian more. What's worse is it seems unlikely that there will be an LTE iPhone until July of 2012 (based on the current rumors and reports). You're essentially getting a 6 month old phone that is already less powerful than other devices out there and locking yourself into it for 2 years.

I'm a current AT&T iPhone user and I'm pushing (and buying come April) the Motorola Droid Bionic that runs on Verizon's LTE network. At launch this phone will do data about 10 times the speed the Verizon iPhone does.

Just my opinion from working with these devices on a daily basis for my job.

VWL Mom
01-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I am definitely going to get one :cloud9:, whether it is the 16 or 32 I'm not certain. I was wondering, how did you get a preorder email? Yesterday I went onto Verizon Wireless's website and submitted my email address for info but haven't received a preorder email.

The emails were (supposedly) to all current Verizon customers. It's actually an email that you sign-up if you are interested followed by a 2nd email that starts to explain what to do to get ready. There should be a 3rd email on Feb 3rd that you can actually order from.

VWL Mom
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Additionally, the next-gen iPhone should be arriving in stores this June. So at a minimum, I'd hesitate to tell you to go ahead and buy a phone now knowing that in just five months a new one will be out.

If I was you, I'd wait until either the LTE network version is available or at least until the next-gen phone is out. Preferably both!

I couldn't agree with Ian more. What's worse is it seems unlikely that there will be an LTE iPhone until July of 2012 (based on the current rumors and reports). You're essentially getting a 6 month old phone that is already less powerful than other devices out there and locking yourself into it for 2 years.

I was thinking of waiting but I don't see it coming out as soon as rumors say. I'm also not so sure I'm ready to jump to LTE until they get the bugs worked out. Seems to be having some issues around here right now.

I do wonder why you can't text and talk with the iphone. I have an old env2 on CDMA and I can do that now.

Anyway, here's my plan. We have 3 phones available for upgrade, I will get the iphone now and when the next generation comes out I will pass it on to DS16 and get the new one for myself.

For once, mama comes first!

DizneyRox
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't "go big"...

I have a 16G 3GS with TONS of apps, including a 1.5G install of Navigon Navigation software and I still have like 11G free.

What I do is stream my music/movie collection to the phone using an application called Orb.

Save yourself some money and do the same. No need to sync your phone and manage play lists, etc. It's all just there!

With Verizon supposedly not doing the capped data plans like AT&T you really shouldn't have any trouble, and while I'm still grandfathered into the 5G AT&T plan, I've never even come close.

That said, I would wait to get better technology out of the iPhone on Verizon. I would be surprised if the 5G supports LTE, which means you're about a year 1nd 1/2 away from the possibility. And Verizon has stated, you'll be paying for the technology too.

BTW - Texting and Talking IS possible. It's data and voice that can't co-exist with Verizon's implementation of CDMA. I admit though, with AT&T I've only needed to do that once. Looking up and address online while talking to someone about the place I was looking for. It's a neat "feature" to be able to take advantage of.

magicofdisney
01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
What I do is stream my music/movie collection to the phone using an application called Orb.

Do you need a separate device to use the Orb app?

Basket Mommy
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I currently have the 16 GB iPhone and have been waiting for Verizon's announcement so I could get the heck away from AT & T.

I will be getting the 32 GB, because with all the music and apps I have run out of room. I can't keep all my apps on there at once, so I have to shuffle things around. I need more room for apps!

princessjojo
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I've waited and waited for this iPhone, and after reading several articles, I'm not quite sure I want it after all. Sure, once you get something just a few months down the road something new and improved comes around. It's always going to have more bling than what you currently have. But the latest article I've read spoke about buying the Verizon iPhone and paying a premium for old technology. And Verizon has yet to speak about what the costs are going to be to operate the phone the way most want to use it.

It's also supposed to have the HotSpot feature, but they haven't spoken about any additional cost for this option either or if it would be inclusive of any other package.

Anyway, I love it, and want it, but will more than likely wait until June when the iPhone 5 is "supposed" to be released. Apple releases new products twice a year and June being that time. I'm torn between the iPhone and the Droid Bionic. We'll see at that time. Either way, I'm going to be quick to ditch the Blackberry....I hate that phone.

joanna71985
01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm probably going to get the Iphone but I'm going to wait before getting it.

Ruprect
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
The thing about the Verizon iPhone is this:

Will they have a LTE model in July? It's not likely. I think what we're likely to see then is the next iteration of the AT&T iPhone that supports HSPA+ (for all you non mobile geeks out there that is what T-Mobile refers to as 4G) which would provide data speeds at least 4x what Verizon 3G can offer.

I think if you have serious issues on AT&T it makes sense to switch otherwise I wouldn't go near the Verizon iPhone. It's slower, can't talk and use data at the same time and is already old technology.

Disclaimer: I don't have any actual inside information. I'm really just speculating

Dsnygirl
01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree w/ the folks who are waiting, as well as the ones who are torn b/w going for the iPhone and getting an HTC Android.

I've wanted an iPhone since they came out, but am a VW'less customer & have been patient. Now that the HTC phones are out, and are getting such rave reviews, I'm not sure I'm going to jump to an iPhone that runs on Verizon's network.

Like everyone else has mentioned, why go w/ a phone running on a 3G network, when I can get a faster phone on Verizon's 4G network? And why get a phone that will be essentially outdated this spring? Also, I have a feeling Verizon will have implemented some of it's famous "proprietary notions" into the phone, and that drives me crazy... a network controlling what I can & cannot download or access. If I'm going for something like an iPhone, I'm not sure I want Verizon controlling it. (But I also don't want to switch to AT&T, so there's the rub...)

I have quite a few friends w/ different HTC Androids, and I'm very impressed w/ them... so at this point, as excited as I was to hear the announcement, I'm going to wait and see how the transition goes and how the reviews look over the next several months and go from there.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Additionally, the next-gen iPhone should be arriving in stores this June. So at a minimum, I'd hesitate to tell you to go ahead and buy a phone now knowing that in just five months a new one will be out.I've read the next-gen version may not be coming to Verizon until January 2012.

kakn7294
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
My upgrade time isn't until August so I have plenty of time to decide. I'm debating between the iPhone, some other Android phone, or a Blackberry. I have an 8 GB iPod touch and I love it so I'm sure the 16 GB would be big enough for me but I'm not sure I want an iPhone / Android phone due to battery life. If they are anything like my iPod, they won't last me a full day and I don't like that thought. I think I'm leaning more towards a Blackberry. I want a phone that I can make phone calls, text, use the internet, check e-mail, take some pictures (it won't replace the camera), and play a few games.

Basket Mommy
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure I want an iPhone / Android phone due to battery life. If they are anything like my iPod, they won't last me a full day and I don't like that thought.

I have issues with iPod battery life as well, but I have not had a problem with my iPhone draining like an iPod does. I was amazed at how well the battery lasts (if you don't leave it backlit all the time).

DizneyRox
01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Do you need a separate device to use the Orb app?
You need the PC with your library on in your house with the "server" version of Orb (free). But no other proprietary hardware.

kakn7294
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I have issues with iPod battery life as well, but I have not had a problem with my iPhone draining like an iPod does. I was amazed at how well the battery lasts (if you don't leave it backlit all the time).

Are you using your iPhone apps all the time? I use the ones on my iPod constantly - playing games, checking facebook and e-mail, using the internet, etc. I'm afraid if I did all that and used the iPhone as a phone with all the texts and calls, the battery would be dead in no time.

RedSoxFan
01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I would love to get the iphone; but my update isn't until 4/12. So for now, I'll stick with the droid x which I like and have no complaints.

Ian
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
For those with battery issues on the Apple devices, if you're running the most current version of the OS remember it allows for multi-tasking.

So when you close out of an app, it doesn't actually close. It's still running in the background and if you don't actually go in and close the apps out when you're done with them, eventually you'll have every app on your phone running at the same time which really burns up your battery.

If you keep your apps running to a minimum, the new OS is really very battery-friendly.

roses
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I am not quite sure with the Iphone on the Verizon network - I have ATT. But I highly recommend going with the larger version. That way you won't fill up the memory as fast. I went with the larger version and have 3 movies and a bunch of apps and still have alot of memory left. (Of course the movies are TinkerBell!!! My daughter loves them :thumbsup:)

Good luck! You will love it!

magicofdisney
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
My iPhone battery is significantly better than my iPod battery. For whatever reason, my iPhone wifi seems stronger than my iPod wifi (although I have nothing to back-up that claim).

So when you close out of an app, it doesn't actually close. It's still running in the background and if you don't actually go in and close the apps out when you're done with them, eventually you'll have every app on your phone running at the same time which really burns up your battery.
How do you actually "go in" and close out an app? When I'm done with an app I press the home key. And is there a way to find out which apps are running in the background?

Goofster
01-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I've got a 16gb Samsung Galaxy S (Android phone) with ATT and I haven't even filled it up yet. But the benefit with Android phones, is that I can expand the memory by another 32gb for a total of 48gb. Without getting into an Android vs. iPhone war, I just dont't really get the appeal of the iPhone anymore. It revolutionized the smartphone industry in 2007, but now its like, eh.

Ruprect
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
For those with battery issues on the Apple devices, if you're running the most current version of the OS remember it allows for multi-tasking.

If you keep your apps running to a minimum, the new OS is really very battery-friendly.

This isn't exactly true. iOS does not have true mutlitasking. What it has is a few services that the application can use beyond when it is closed including audio, VOIP, location (although more limited than when the app is actually running) and a couple of other things.

Depending on how you write the app either you can force it to close (if background processing isn't necessary) or allow iOS to save the state of your app for quick launching later.

My iPhone battery is significantly better than my iPod battery. For whatever reason, my iPhone wifi seems stronger than my iPod wifi (although I have nothing to back-up that claim).

How do you actually "go in" and close out an app? When I'm done with an app I press the home key. And is there a way to find out which apps are running in the background?\

Double click the home key and the recent apps bar will open up at the bottom. Tap and hold an icon to activate the "close app" mode. Tap and minus signs on the apps to close them.

magicofdisney
01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Double click the home key and the recent apps bar will open up at the bottom. Tap and hold an icon to activate the "close app" mode. Tap and minus signs on the apps to close them.

GET outta TOWN! I never knew this! I did it and had to close out nearly every app on my iPhone. We've had iPod Touches for over 2 years and I didn't have this info. Maybe this is why my iPod's batteries don't seem to last.

Ruprect
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
GET outta TOWN! I never knew this! I did it and had to close out nearly every app on my iPhone. We've had iPod Touches for over 2 years and I didn't have this info. Maybe this is why my iPod's batteries don't seem to last.

This has only really been around since the update last summer. Also those aren't all open apps. They are just your recent history of apps. If the phone or ipod needed memory it closed the app behind the scenes. There is no real way to know for sure if an app is running.

However getting in the habit of going in there and removing everything isn't a bad idea. My OCD side requires me to do it frequently.

bouncer
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
so my verizon contract is up at the end of this month. I have an LG ENV3 which I have really liked...but I do not own an IPOD so I have been contemplating getting a Droid for my upgrade. The Iphone really hasn't mattered to me knowing that a Droid would be comparable. Is now not a good time to be upgrading to Droid?

I saw a Yahoo article that stated Verizon was going to be changing a lot of fees, renewal policies etc. A friend linked the article to her FB page saying that she was going to leave Verizon over it. My whole family uses Verizon which makes their calls free. I'm not so sure I want to jump ship as my friend is contemplating.

DizneyRox
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
That article was interesting... I think people just like complaining...

I've never cared much for cell phone companies. To me they are borderline criminals in how they operate. ETFs are to be expected, however the amounts have always been insane. Even the $175 through AT&T was steep, now it's $325.

Upgrades? When youre under contract, you're under contract. I don't get the early upgrades, or whatever, however they allowed it to keep customers and extend their contracts. Now, the costs of phones being so much, they want to milk their customers in service charges as long as possible.

Texting? You're kidding me! To charge for texting when it's broadcast using the same signal to communicate where the phone is on the network IS criminal. It "costs" the providers nothing, every text is pure profit.

Personally, I think Verizon thinks the iPhone is the Holy Grail of phones, and I think many users do as well. It's all hype... I have an iPhone, it's great, but have no problems getting an Android phone upon renewal time. Maybe I'll go with Verizon, maybe I'll stick with AT&T. I do know though, I'm not going with a contract again. IMF rather pay full retail that a subsidized price and be stuck under a contract.

Ruprect
01-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Not sure if this sway anyone's opinions one way or the other but the current rumors have the next iPhone (likely to be released in July) working on both Verizon and AT&T. So if you're looking at getting an iPhone on Verizon you might want to wait the 6 months for the new model.

The way Apple has done its pricing in the past is the new models will go on sale for the same prices as the current models. Then the current models will be discounted to a cheaper price. If you need evidence of that check out the $49 iPhone 3Gs (the 2009 model) with a new 2 year contract at AT&T.

DizneyRox
01-16-2011, 05:44 AM
The $49 3GS I think is more of a ploy to get people under contract on AT&T rather than selling off an older model.

For some reason, everyone thinks the iPhone on Verizon is going to change the face of wireless. Maybe people are lemmings more than I give them credit for.

The 3GS is a fantastic phone. I don't see much of a reason to upgrade from mine. Speed is great, it's capabilities are more than good enough for what I do (and I suspect most people need).

VWL Mom
01-16-2011, 08:35 AM
I saw a Yahoo article that stated Verizon was going to be changing a lot of fees, renewal policies etc. A friend linked the article to her FB page saying that she was going to leave Verizon over it. My whole family uses Verizon which makes their calls free. I'm not so sure I want to jump ship as my friend is contemplating.

Could you PM me a link to the article. The family plans I am looking at would only cost me $10 a month than I currently pay for 3 phones.

VWL Mom
01-16-2011, 08:38 AM
For some reason, everyone thinks the iPhone on Verizon is going to change the face of wireless. Maybe people are lemmings more than I give them credit for.

Then there are those that simply are quite happy with Verizon and find Apple to be a great product. Doesn't make them lemmings.

Ruprect
01-16-2011, 09:10 AM
The $49 3GS I think is more of a ploy to get people under contract on AT&T rather than selling off an older model.

True but the price before that was only $99, half that of the iPhone 4. The point is still that the phone you want to buy will likely be half that price come July.

As far as the change in Verizon upgrade policies go I read that current customer can expect to upgrade a year into their 2 year contract. The new policy will be that you won't be able to upgrade with full discount until month 20. Not sure how T-Mobile and Sprint handle upgrades but AT&T is more like Verizon's new policy so leaving it for AT&T over this would be pointless.

Not sure about any new fees with Verizon. I know they haven't released pricing for the iPhone data plan so anything you see out there will be speculation. All the information will be available by the time you can order a phone.

I'm still planning on jumping from AT&T to Verizon in April but not for the iPhone. The Motorola Droid Bionic has me all tingly inside just thinking about it.

bouncer
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Could you PM me a link to the article. The family plans I am looking at would only cost me $10 a month than I currently pay for 3 phones.

link sent

DizneyRox
01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I know they haven't released pricing for the iPhone data plan so anything you see out there will be speculation. All the information will be available by the time you can order a phone.
This is actually my biggest concern.

Currently, I'm grandfathered onto AT&T's "unlimited" data plan. If/when I upgrade, retention of that plan is probably going to be high on my list. If I lose that through AT&T (which I suspect I will), I will probably jump over to Verizon, provided they have a decent data plan. If I can retain that plan, then maybe I stay. What phone I get though I'm not sure. Staying with the iPhone will largely depend on the jailbreakability of the current model.

Ruprect
01-16-2011, 09:50 AM
This is actually my biggest concern.

Currently, I'm grandfathered onto AT&T's "unlimited" data plan. If/when I upgrade, retention of that plan is probably going to be high on my list. If I lose that through AT&T (which I suspect I will), I will probably jump over to Verizon, provided they have a decent data plan. If I can retain that plan, then maybe I stay. What phone I get though I'm not sure. Staying with the iPhone will largely depend on the jailbreakability of the current model.

I'm in the same situation. Latest rumors on that are Verizon is going to offer unlimited (5GB limit) for $30 same as AT&T used to.

Funny you mention jailbreaking. That's the main reason I'm moving to Android. I found myself constantly jailbreaking the iPhone and customizing it to the way I wanted it to be and that Apple didn't. Android is kind of the ideal platform for me.