PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Journey made me....

Melanie
01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
sick. :sick:

AWESOME attraction and themeing though. Just incredible! And I'm not a HP fan, although nothing against it and I'm going to watch all the movies now (I have seen #6).

Honestly though, if you are prone to motion sickness on rides like Star Tours, be prepared and maybe take a Dramamine or something. Some days I do fine on rides like this, but when we went on Monday, it just wasn't one of those days. Forbidden Journey really threw me off. Together with the other simulators at both parks (Spiderman, Simpsons) I was pretty woozy all day. :(

buzznwoodysmom
01-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey Mel,

Isn't Potter Land amazing in all the details? My kids are huge HP fans so they went wild there, but I would think that even non fans would enjoy that area of the park. Too bad Forbidden Journey made you sick, its an amazing attraction. I didn't feel sick, but did feel very disoriented at times. I hope you guys are having a wonderful trip.

MizMissy
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Ohhhh, this is not good news. We have a May trip planned to Universal and I was wondering if Forbidden Journey was a simulator ride.

I cannot handle simulator rides - I've never tried Star Wars, Mission Space or Stitch (good excuse) because on my first trip to Disney, Body Wars put me out of commission for an entire day. Even the tunnel in Buzz can make me ill. However, I'm okay on Soarin for the most part. I think Soarin is different because it's more open and more movement in the seat -- it must be the really small enclosed space (I can actually look down and away from the screen if I feel ill on Soarin, that's really not possible in enclosed simulators) that just shakes the seat for effects which makes me very ill (I think).

I feel like I have to try Forbidden Journey, and I know it will be the first ride of the trip ... my only hope is that it is more like Soarin than Body Wars or Mission Space.....I hope I'm not sick all day afterwards...

I hope you are having a good trip otherwise.

Melanie
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I cannot handle simulator rides - I've never tried Star Wars, Mission Space or Stitch (good excuse) because on my first trip to Disney, Body Wars put me out of commission for an entire day. Even the tunnel in Buzz can make me ill. However, I'm okay on Soarin for the most part.

This sounds exactly like me! I do ride Star Tours and now Mission:Space green on occassion, and like I said earlier, it really depends on the day for me. I can pretty much tell though when a good day is NOT to ride, but being there only Monday I really had no choice since I really did want to ride.

But, Forbidden Journey isn't just a simulator ride. It's so much more and that's what makes it so cool. Have you ridden Sum of All Thrills at Epcot? FJ uses the Kuka technology used on Sum but x10! You literally get swept away into Harry's world, but yes, the big screen parts are what made me sick.

Denise, the area is gorgeous! It was cloudy the day we were there, and I think that added to the atmosphere. They did a great job on themeing. I can't wait to watch the movies now. ;)

We're home! We had a long weekend at WDW for the marathon, and went to Universal on Monday. We went ahead and bought the seasonal pass, so we will be back. :)

JabberJaws
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
However, I'm okay on Soarin for the most part. I think Soarin is different because it's more open and more movement in the seat -- it must be the really small enclosed space (I can actually look down and away from the screen if I feel ill on Soarin, that's really not possible in enclosed simulators) that just shakes the seat for effects which makes me very ill (I think).

I have yet to ride FJ (going in a couple of weeks though!) but know a good deal about the ride. It isn't a simulator at all really, in the same sense that Body Wars or Star Tours are. It is really a lot more like Soarin' meets Spiderman meets Dinosaur or something.

**Note on possible (tho mild) spoilers ahead.**

The movement, from what I've read and heard, is very smooth and not at all jerky like BW or ST, though is significantly more fast paced than Soarin. The "simulator" scenes that involve a projection screen are like Soarin' in that it is a half-dome screen that you are suspended in, though they are smaller screens that only encompass one "car" each. You move in and out of these domes in certain scenes. I would say the dome is maybe 20 ft x 20 ft though that is just a guess.

Those are only a portion of the ride, however, as much of the ride involves real sets, animatronics and SFX. There is no 3D in the ride, like in Spdierman. Your car/seat moves in conjunction w/ the effects in each scene, but it does not just shake or rattle you to death like BW or ST (to a lesser extent). It is supposed to be a more natural movement as if you were flying (again just at a faster, more thrilling pace than soarin)

From all reports it is unlike any ride ever made, blending various technologies into an all new ride experience. I'd personally say it is worth the risk of getting sick, but I will leave that call up to you!

Melanie
01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd personally say it is worth the risk of getting sick, but I will leave that call up to you!

Absolutely! Everyone should try it once regardless if you get sick or not. But it is definitely intense and fast, but worth the woozy head. Now, if I do it again.....we'll see.

forever a child
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
So sorry to hear you got sick Melanie.:(
Did you take any motion sickness medicine before you rode? How many times did you ride it?

I get motion sickness too. But we are going in Sept and I HAVE to ride this ride, preferably more than once if possible. I got really sick on Space Mountain this dec...last ride of the night, and i was layered up in warm clothes because it was so cold out...but boy, I felt awful when I got off. I have ridden this before too...I just forgot to take my med's and probably should have taken my jacket off too.

You will love the HP movies..aside from WDW, DD and I are incurable HP adicts! :secret:

Melanie
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Did you take any motion sickness medicine before you rode? How many times did you ride it?

I didn't, but will next time. We only rode it once.

You will love it! Can't wait to hear what you think. :thumbsup:

Crow
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Ill try it in Feb when we go...been awhile since i was at Universal & gf has never been.
I have gotten a little dizzy on Mission SPace when it was intense, but Star Tours is ok for me. How long did u spend in the park? debating if i can do both in 1 day to save on transportation.

angel2931
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up! My DH and I are going to WDW in Feb with my DS, and we are hitting WWOHP on our last day in Orlando. i am a HP Nut, so I am so excited to go, but I am nervous about this ride! I get real woozy on some rides.. Space Mountain, can't do mission Space etc, so I am not sure about FJ. And I will have to ride by myself since my DS is only 2 1/2, DH and I will have to take turns. I will have to make sure I take motion sickness meds that day!!

PlutoToo
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how were the crowds when you went? I haven't seen a crowd report since Nov. I'm hoping it will be less crowded this week or next so we can go. Thanks.

Melanie
01-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how were the crowds when you went? I haven't seen a crowd report since Nov. I'm hoping it will be less crowded this week or next so we can go. Thanks.

We were there Monday, and crowds weren't bad at all. Wait time for Forbidden Journey did reach an hour right after opening, but was down to 15 mins in the afternoon.

JabberJaws
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
We were there Monday, and crowds weren't bad at all. Wait time for Forbidden Journey did reach an hour right after opening, but was down to 15 mins in the afternoon.

I will be down first weekend of Feb and have been looking into crowds as well. Have heard similar things to Melanie's report. I would avoid HP right at the opening, and do the MK thing (go to the left b/c everyone is going right). Do Marvel stuff (Hulk, Spiderman), give HP a few hours to die-down, then check it out later.

I've also heard that the lines have been significantly shorter than the what the wait-times say. Someone told me it said 60 minutes and they only waited 20.

MizMissy
01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I will be down first weekend of Feb and have been looking into crowds as well. Have heard similar things to Melanie's report. I would avoid HP right at the opening, and do the MK thing (go to the left b/c everyone is going right). Do Marvel stuff (Hulk, Spiderman), give HP a few hours to die-down, then check it out later.

Thanks for the information on FJ above! Also, please give us a report when you return on if this strategy is better. All of the reports I've read say you have to hit WWOHP and FJ first or your wait is forver. Our trip will be in May, so it may be a more crowded time and the lines will be long all day anyway, but I am curious to see if your strategy is better.

Have a great trip!

EeyoresBestFriend
01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
We did the ride as well and I do have issues at times with rides. It definitely was on the border for me, I had my eyes closed for the majority of the ride because it was just making me ill(For reference, Spiderman does not bother me). Next time will DEFINITELY be a walk through for me - but I was glad I tried it once. It had the same effect for me as 'Body wars' did when the movement and screen were slightly off. :sick:

For those who asked of the crowds ~ my recommendation would be NOT to go in the morning. We found it was far busier and that the noon-afternoons were significantly quieter and had shorter lines.

The themeing is as good as I've come to expect from Universal (which is VERY good)!! :thumbsup: Right down to moaning myrtle in the bathroom!! :D

buzznwoodysmom
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM

I've also heard that the lines have been significantly shorter than the what the wait-times say. Someone told me it said 60 minutes and they only waited 20.

I don't know if this is the best plan either. We were there Oct. 30th and it was actually quite the opposite. We went straight to HP land at opening and got in line for FJ right away. We were off the ride, got our stuff out of the locker and were out of the gift shop at the end of the ride in under and hour, we walked through to the ride without stopping much at all. We were able to walk right into all the shops, eat lunch and walked right onto Flight of the Hipagrif (sp?). We left Potter land and did the rest of the park. Around mid afternoon we headed back to Potter land to do everything one more time before we left. We then waited over an hour just to get on FJ, waited about 10 minutes for FOTH, and couldn't even get into the shops because the lines to get into the shops were as long as the ride lines. So I guess it just depends on the day.

JabberJaws
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the information on FJ above! Also, please give us a report when you return on if this strategy is better. All of the reports I've read say you have to hit WWOHP and FJ first or your wait is forver. Our trip will be in May, so it may be a more crowded time and the lines will be long all day anyway, but I am curious to see if your strategy is better.

Have a great trip!

I think a lot would depend on the day, time of year, etc. For example, on a Saturday during the warmer months, you might find the opposite is true, HP gets busier as the day goes on, b/c locals w/ annual passes are likely to come later in the day to avoid the heat. Also, on days where IOA is open fairly late, you might get people doing both parks going to US in the a.m. then coming over to IOA in the afternoon.

Now we will be going to IOA on superbowl sunday, and from all I've heard, all of the parks get slacker as the day goes on b/c so many people go to parties and whatever for the SB starting fairly early int he afternoon, so I'd expect HP (and the whole park) to be busier in the a.m. then slacker in the p.m.

Still though I'd imagine it doesn't hurt to check it out. Bounce over to HP first thing, if FJ is a manageable wait, hop on, check out some stuff, then go over to the rest of the park. Then check back later. If it is too busy, then just bypass it and come back after lunch.