PDA

View Full Version : Dlr hotels vs good neighbor hotels

Yungbuck73
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Hello, we were looking to book to go to the Disneyland Resort and comparing prices between Paradise Pier vs a good neighbor (Dessert Palms) was the one we looked at. Can anyone tell me if you book thru Disney do you lose anything by staying at good neighbor as compared to Disneyland hotel except for the Disney theme. Thanks

NewDVCowner
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
If you're not staying at a Disneyland Resort Hotel then you will not be able to participate in extra magic hours. Aside from that I don't think you're really missing anything expect the extra cost. Some of the good neighbor hotels are actually closer to the parks than the Disney hotels.

Yungbuck73
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I didn't know disneyland had extra magic hrs

BrerGnat
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, the EMH are on specific mornings at DLR. Also, if this matters to you, only DLR guests get to use the Grand Californian DCA entrance. You can get into the park an hour early JUST to get Fastpass tickets to World of Color. This is a "resort guest" perk only.

Honestly, the Desert Palms is sort of in an odd location. It's quite a walk to the main entrance off Harbor. I'd choose PPH over Desert Palms, to be hoenst.

If you were talking about one of the Good Neighbor hotels that are along Harbor RIGHT across the street from DLR, that would be another story.

CaptSmee
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't think the benefit of staying on Disney property outweights the cost in CA compared to FL. I have stayed at the Grand Californian and the Ramada Plaza Inn (about 2 blocks away). Both were more than suitable accomodations, yet Disney was 3 times the cost. I will stay offsite in the future.

The only EMH's they have in DL are magic mornings certain days of the week for Toontown.

badkitty
01-15-2011, 09:54 PM
If you're not staying at a Disneyland Resort Hotel then you will not be able to participate in extra magic hours. Aside from that I don't think you're really missing anything expect the extra cost. Some of the good neighbor hotels are actually closer to the parks than the Disney hotels.

I don't think you have to be staying at DLR hotels to use the EMHs. We are staying off property (Anaheim Plaza) and our park-hopper tickets entitle us to one day EMH (called Magic Morning at DL).

NotaGeek
01-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think you have to be staying at DLR hotels to use the EMHs. We are staying off property (Anaheim Plaza) and our park-hopper tickets entitle us to one day EMH (called Magic Morning at DL).

3 day park hoppers or higher get EMH entry.

BrerGnat
01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
The only EMH's they have in DL are magic mornings certain days of the week for Toontown.

Nope, the Toontown Morning Madness is something entirely different. EMH is all these attractions:

In Fantasyland:
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Dumbo
-Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
-Alice in Wonderland
-Mad Tea Party
-Matterhorn Bobsleds
-King Arthur Carousel
-Snow White's Scary Adventures
-Pinocchio's Daring Journey
-Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough
-It's a Small World Holiday (only November-January)

NOTE: It's a Small World (non-holiday version), Casey Jr. Circus Train and Storybookland Canal Boats are NOT open for MM and open at official park opening. Pixie Hollow and Princess Fantasy Faire are also not open during MM, but they open later than most other attractions, often an hour after official park opening.

In Tomorrowland:
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters
-Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
-Astro Orbitor*
-Star Tours*

*Not as consistently open as others. They might be open if large crowds warrant it.

When you purchase a 3 day hopper ticket, you will get ONE Magic Morning entry, and I think you get 2 if you get a 5 day hopper.

Magic Smiles
01-26-2011, 06:49 AM
When we stayed on site, we were allowed to enter on ALL Extra Magic Hour mornings, not just the one time. This was a benefit of staying on site. We used it every morning that it was available.
Loved staying in the Grand Californian and can't imagine staying any where else now if in Disneyland. :blush:

BrerGnat
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
When we stayed on site, we were allowed to enter on ALL Extra Magic Hour mornings, not just the one time.

Yep, this is the most beneficial onsite resort guest perk. Well, and also the private DCA entrance from GCH.

Mogie
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I stayed at Paradise Pier Dec 2009...it was ok at best. Definitely dated and needs a refurb. It was clean for the most part, but noticed some torn carpet here and there. It's definitely the least themed Disney Hotel I've ever seen. We basically had breakfast there and slept there, and hung out at the Grand Californian after the parks closed. That hotel is awesome.