PDA

View Full Version : How to travel from Disney to Universal for a day?

kaylamag
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
We are going to Disney World in December and would like to take a day to visit Universal Studios. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get there? We are flying to Orlando and won't have a car. Would it be cheaper to go rent a car, take a taxi, or take a car service? (There are five people in our party.)
Thanks for the help.

MW1218
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
If you factor in how valuable your time is, cabs are the best value, in my opinion. If you rent a car, it might be more expensive than a cab to begin with, and that's before you even take into account the amount of time getting to the rental office, filling out paperwork, and going back to the rental office, returning the car, and then getting back to your resort will take. Save yourself the hassle and just take a cab, mention that you have five people and they will send a larger one.

mook3y
01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
If you factor in how valuable your time is, cabs are the best value, in my opinion. If you rent a car, it might be more expensive than a cab to begin with, and that's before you even take into account the amount of time getting to the rental office, filling out paperwork, and going back to the rental office, returning the car, and then getting back to your resort will take. Save yourself the hassle and just take a cab, mention that you have five people and they will send a larger one.
forgot to add in paying for parking too. :)

kaylamag
01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks

DebK
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I've used Quicksilver (town car service) and it was very easy. By the way, I have been through your neck of the woods quite often as I have family from Mt. Union......

kaylamag
01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks, i just looked up the Quicksilver website, very helpful.

disneyfamily05
01-10-2011, 10:58 PM
We used the Mears bus when we went from Disney to Universal this past October. We called/made reservations before we went down, chose an early pick up time (8:00am maybe?), they were there waiting at our resort, picked up a few other guests, then stopped at Sea World, Aquatica, and dropped us off at Universal.

We had to call approx. 2 hours before we wanted pick up to see when the next bus would be there.

I think it was either $18 or $22 (can't remember at the moment) round trip. It was nice for us b/c we didn't want to have to deal with driving, parking, etc. But with 5 of you it may be cheaper to go with a private car/van pick up service.

Crow
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Im still debating how Im goin to get to Universal from WDW for a day or 2. i think taxi is too expensive, car mayb a hassle to get then park. but Mears you are limited to wat times....decisions decisions.

kaylamag
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I emailed Florida Town Cars and they quoted me $70 round trip for 5 people, so far the cheapest. With Quicksilver our party of 5 would have to get a van and that is listed on their website as $90 round trip.

CaptSmee
01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
We always rent a car for a day or 2 and hit a non-Disney park and the outlet malls that are excellent and nearby. It's a short, easy drive.

NH Disneyfan
01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
We have 4 and are planning a town car in August. One night Disney, One night Universal, 8 nights Disney. The $100 it will cost is well worth it for door to door service.

musicteacher
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
We just faced this dilimna last week. We had plans to go to Universal last Wednesday, so we went to Downtown Disney on Tuesday and rented a car from National Car Rental. Their place is in the one hotel right across the street from DD. I paid about $80 to rent a car for 2 days. We had it from 3 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Thursday. Used it to drive to Kouzzina's on the Boardwalk Tuesday night, Universal Wednesday, and to the Poly thursday morning to try the Tonga Toast. Did some outlet shopping and had it back Thusday afternoon.

Would highly recommend this. It was very convenient. Just took the bus from DD back to our hotel when we were done with it.

Betsy

yjgirl32
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
We used public transportation to go to Seaworld- by far your cheapest way of traveling. We went to DTD and crossed the street to get the bus waited about 20 minutes and they left us off on the outside of their parking lot- which was a bit of a walk but my mom (66) and aunt(76) walked it with no problem. Then when we were done crossed the parking lot crossed the street and caught a bus within five minutes- I believe we paid a 1.00 each way.

giroux28
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I just made our reservations with Mears for the day we are heading to IoA. They pick up from your resort (I'm not sure if its the same time for everywhere) :10 after every hour, so we made our pickup for 8:10a and are getting picked up at IoA at 7:15p.

Round trip total: $19 per person! I thought this was excellent compared to the car rental/taxi prices I've been seeing everywhere. We just pay the driver the $38 cash in the morning and we're covered for the ride home as well.

Their website was not helpful at all to me and I found it much easier to just call them to set it up. If anyone is interested, their number is:

407-423-5566.

Hope this helps!

mom2morgan
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I honestly don't think a cab is anymore expensive than paying for a car service. We had a very bad experience with a car service last time - needed to leave early because I was sick and had to wait for our scheduled time - then they forgot about us! The thing about cabs is they are EVERYWHERE - they're lined up just waiting outside of Universal at all times, and also at the Disney resorts (Just as the concierge to call one up and they're there within minutes). I think the cost are pretty similar because they have to stay competitive or they wouldn't get any customers! And yes - public transport is the cheapest, but way to inconvenient for me. And I HATE driving in a strange city so the rental car is out (plus as someone above pointed out - takes a big chunk of time out of your day!)

DisneyFr33k
02-06-2011, 06:57 AM
We've used Happy Limo and have been pleased with service and price. Haven't tried Quicksilver but hear they are equally good. We'll try them next trip!

Crow
03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
seems t $19 price is better than renting a car for 2 day trips to Universal (Plus gas & parking) otherwise we are using Disney transportation to get around the world

faline
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
This discussion (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=178322&highlight=mears) might provide some additional information.

kaylamag
03-13-2011, 07:26 PM
We just faced this dilimna last week. We had plans to go to Universal last Wednesday, so we went to Downtown Disney on Tuesday and rented a car from National Car Rental. Their place is in the one hotel right across the street from DD. I paid about $80 to rent a car for 2 days. We had it from 3 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Thursday. Used it to drive to Kouzzina's on the Boardwalk Tuesday night, Universal Wednesday, and to the Poly thursday morning to try the Tonga Toast. Did some outlet shopping and had it back Thusday afternoon.

Would highly recommend this. It was very convenient. Just took the bus from DD back to our hotel when we were done with it.

Betsy

Do you know the name of the hotel that the car rental place is in? We always go to DD our first night. I may have to check into this.
Thanks

Hammer
03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you know the name of the hotel that the car rental place is in? We always go to DD our first night. I may have to check into this.
Thanks

The Buena Vista Palace Hotel has a National car rental desk, however, so does the Dolphin hotel. As I see in your signature that you are staying at the Beach Club, the Dolphin may be easier.

giroux28
03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
UPDATE: We used Mears last week for our IOA day. It was excellent. Pay your $19 per person when getting picked up from your resort and you'll get a slip that can be used as a return ticket. Very easy. Highly recommended.

giroux28
03-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Do it. It was excellent when we used Mears on our trip last week. Picked us up at the exact time and place as planned and was completely hassle free (Aside from a certain numbskull leaving the tickets for IOA at the resort :oops: )

AllDisney
03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
We used them this past December when we spent a day at Universal & it was wonderful.

White Rose
03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I feel like it's this well-kept secret. I'm surprised more people don't use it!

I used Mears to travel to IOA on my trip back in Jan for my friend and I and I absolutely loved it. It was so easy and convenient. The bus drivers we had for both traveling to and back were great and very nice. And with the price of $19 per person, you can't beat that.

So, high recommend this service if you don't plan on using a car! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
03-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Anyone use it to get to Port Canaveral? :confused:

magicalmom
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
At $19 a person, it's an even better deal when you consider that parking at Universal is in the neighborhood of $14. Add that to whatever you'd pay to rent a car for the day, and $38 per couple is a real bargain!

Crow
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
we used it on the trip. for the cost I think its a good deal.

Mogie
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Havent used them to go to Universal, but the are great for trips to and from the airport. They will even stop at a grocery store on the way for just a few extra bucks. And they let you schedule your own time before the flight home, unlike Magical Express where you HAVE to leave 3hours before hand. (We like to squeeze in as much fun in the parks and make a mad dash for the airport on our last day).

TinkerbellsMom
05-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

Looking for the cheapest way to get to Universal Studios from the Swan. There will be 2 adults and 10 year old daughter.

Thanks for your assistance!

NJGIRL
05-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I can tell you that from the airport to Universal was $40 for four people.

BTW Mears runs Yellow Cab, City Cab and Checkered Cab. You can go on their web site and plug in your info and get an estimate of your cost.

When you are asking about Mears do you mean their bus? Mears runs cabs, shuttle buses and full size buses.

TinkerbellsMom
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I read somewhere that Mears has transportation (not sure if van or bus) from Disney to Universal Studios for $19 per person. Does it include the Swan?

Adambomb85
05-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi All -

Wondering if anyone has any advice about the best method to get from the World (PoFQ) to Universal? DBf and I are planning to do a day there in December and wondering if anyone had specific recommendations about travel?

Thanks!

~Adam

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Walking is always good. But if you don't want to do that, try Quicksilver, rent a car, or a get a cab.

TinksGoofyMom
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
what are the locations of univ.studios and islands of adv. ? Do we need our own vehicle or is there some type of transport so that we could use a cab or bus from WDW?
Thanks!

NJGIRL
06-01-2011, 07:07 AM
what are the locations of univ.studios and islands of adv. ? Do we need our own vehicle or is there some type of transport so that we could use a cab or bus from WDW?
Thanks!

They are right next to each other. To answer your question, you do not need transportation from IOA to the Studio. It's not like Disney where you have to get into a bus or car to get from one park to another.

luvdiznee
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
We just used Cocoa Beach Shuttle to get from POP to Port Canaveral, because they were more reasonable than Mears. But I will price Mears for our next offsite from AKL to US/IOA and on another day from AKL to Mall at Millenia and Florida Mall. Unless they are cheaper than the used car, I will go that route.

Not sure if it's an issue for them when you don't have a large travel party. Since we only have 2 in our party.

kaylamag
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
How long does it take to get from Disney Resort (Beach Club) to IOA? I just need an estimate so i know what time to have the car service pick us up. I was planning pick up for an hour before park opening, not sure if that would give us enough time to get there or not.

luvdiznee
11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
We drove from AKL to the US/IOA area in about 15-20 minutes, I believe. I had my GPS so that made it easier for me. Also, it was a weekday, actually 2, Tuesday and Wednesday.

kaylamag
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks