PDA

View Full Version : WDW 40th Anniversary?

bertasso59
01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I havent found anything posted on this yet,but may have overlooked it...Has anyone heard of any plans for WDW's 40th anniversary this year?My first trip was during the Tencennial and Im sure the 50th will be big,but it would be nice to acknowledge this milestone.(Just no more cake over the castle,please)

Figment!
01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
There's a good amount of merchandise already in the parks .... :shrug:

Laughin' place
01-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Most of the speculation Ive seen / heard on internet and podcasts is that WD feels like it went overboard on anniversary celebrations there for awhile and is now pulling back. The reasoning Ive seen most often is that the 40th will be pretty minor, and that the 50th will be the focus.

Dakota Rose
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I was wondering this very thing. As long as I can pick up some souvenir with "40th Anniversary" I'm good. We are tentatively planning to go back for the 45th and 50th too! :)

JPL
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Apparently Disney feels that Anniversaries especially the bigger numbers ones gives young people the impression that something is old and boring. At least was their excuse for not having a 35th Anniversary Celebration So 40 makes it 5 years older and that much more boring ;)

Gregandmel
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
LOL....Our very first trip to WDW was during their 25th anniversary and boy were we surprised to see the magnificent castle looking like a CAKE. However, we have a very sentimental picture taken in front of it...just wasn't exactly what we had "envisioned". ha ha

finaldynasty
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Apparently Disney feels that Anniversaries especially the bigger numbers ones gives young people the impression that something is old and boring. At least was their excuse for not having a 35th Anniversary Celebration So 40 makes it 5 years older and that much more boring ;)

THis is my first time hearing this. That is not a very good excuse. I don't know that my DKs really care about the anniversary. It is my DW and I who do.

Goofy Fan
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
We just got back on Saturday and to be honest, I was disappointed in the lack of any kind of celebration for the 40th. Sure, there was plenty of merchandise all over the place(picked up a 40th t-shirt for myself), but somehow, it didn't seem like enough, especially after the big fuss that was made over the anniversaries in the past. That's certainly some interesting information concerning why they are cutting back and I sure hope they turn things around for the 50th.

CaptainSad
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Won't it technically start October 1st? So I wouldn't expect much except for the merchandise. I don't think you will see anything big until 2021 for the 50th..

PrettyMinnie
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I will be interested to see what Disney comes up with for their 50th... :shrug:

JPL
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
THis is my first time hearing this. That is not a very good excuse. I don't know that my DKs really care about the anniversary. It is my DW and I who do.

Exactly which really just shows how far out of touch Disney really is with their core audience. Adults will use it as an excuse to take trip saying I have been there for the 20th 25th etc. and now it's the 40th celebration so I have to go again. I guess Disney doesn't see it this way.

Darbylew
01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I am looking forward to the 50th. I love Disney
no matter what time of year or anniversary it
is. Just being in the Magic is enough for me.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MARCH!!!! :D:mickey:

VWL Mom
01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Adults will use it as an excuse to take trip saying I have been there for the 20th 25th etc. and now it's the 40th celebration so I have to go again. I guess Disney doesn't see it this way.

I agree! Once again they are turning their backs on an audience that has sustained them throughout the years and has money to spend.

Heck, I could be dead in 10 years!

Scar
01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
This Disney fan, for one, couldn't care less whether they do, or don't do anything to celebrate the 40th.

Gator
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Ooooh, new merchandise? I hope they have some cool hats and t-shirts.

mook3y
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I hope they do something cool like the gift giver extraordinaire they had at Disneyland for their 30th anniversary.

They gave away a present to every 30th person. With elevated prizes for 300th, 3,000th and 30,000th guests.

Found the list of what people won:

30 wins a Disneyland Passport
300 wins a Mickey & Minnie Plush toy
3,000 wins a Disneyland 30th Anniversary Elgin watch
30,000A wins a Chevy cavalier CS
30,000B wins a Pontiac Sunbird LE
300,000A wins an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
300,000B wins a Buick Century Custom Sedan
3,000,000 wins a Cadillac Sedan De Ville

I lived 20 minutes away from Disneyland and had an annual pass. I went through the turnstiles over 200 times that year :cool: (note my signature :D) Best I won was one of the watches. Also several free tickets. It was really cool because it said on the ticket what guest # you were - ie: YOU'RE OUR 247,495,392 TH GUEST.

The following year, they gave away a gift to everyone who walked through the gate. Most were free ice cream bars, pins, popcorn, etc. but it was a LOT of fun.

Granny Jill A
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree! Once again they are turning their backs on an audience that has sustained them throughout the years and has money to spend.

Heck, I could be dead in 10 years!

Couldn't agree more. About the turning their backs on their audience part..... not the could be dead in 10 years part.:D

They are forgetting who actually pulls out the old credit card and pays for the trips and the merchandise.

bertasso59
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Now about next year's 30th for EPCOT...

forever a child
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I am hoping that they do something special for the 40th anniversary at MK. DD's Birthday is Oct 1st and we will be in MK on that day for our stay. It would be wonderful if they did something special on that day! :party:

EveryFiveYearsorso
01-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, today I just booked our Sept/Oct - 8 day package at AKL. We spent our honeymoon at DW in 1986 (at the Disney Inn - now Shades of Green) and we discovered then that we coincided with DW's anniversary. We have been back for every 5 year anniversary since (this will be our 25th anniversary). There has always been some type of celebration on Oct 1 and I look forward to being in MK that day just to give thanks to the genius of Walt. Whatever else is scheduled that day (or week or month or year) is gravy.

TheVBs
01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
There has always been some type of celebration on Oct 1 and I look forward to being in MK that day just to give thanks to the genius of Walt.

Good to know! We'll be there end of Sept./beginning of Oct. so we'll make sure to be in MK on the 1st. :mickey: