PDA

View Full Version : Is you FAVOURITE resort your FIRST resort?

mom2morgan
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a theory that our preferences about resorts are not entirely objective. In particular, I think (it's true for us, anyway) that a lot of people associate the Disney magic with that first place we ever experienced it. That or the resort stayed in on a particularly magical trip, I guess. Am I alone in this?

SBETigg
01-09-2011, 07:05 PM
The Contemporary was my first resort, and I do love it, but I haven't been back because I love the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian so much more. The GF is my favorite, and it does confirm your theory because that was my husband's first stay and our honeymoon. It will always be special to us and we might always see it with dazed eyes because of those memories.

faline
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Fort Wilderness is the first place we stayed at Disney. It truly holds a very fond place in my heart and still feels like "home" to me. However, it is NOT my favorite resort. For me, that honor goes to the Poly.

IamaDisneyFan
01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
The first place I stayed on property was Fort Wilderness. Since I am NOT a camper, this is not my favorite place. We have stayed at Pop and Music, and really enjoyed them. But, I love Caribbean Beach!!! My favorite!!!! And we will be at POFQ in 47 days for the free dining!!!:mickey3: :joy:

ibrowse17
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Fort Wilderness was the first resort I stayed in, and remains my favorite. The Wilderness Lodge would be a close second:thumbsup:

Sylvia
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Caribbean Beach was our first resort and will always be my favorite, for many personal reasons. However, I've developed a real liking for All Star Music and it shares a very close second place with Shades of Green.

finaldynasty
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
The first resort I stayed in on property was the WL. Need I say more. My DF and I compare all other resorts to the WL...:mickey:

DakotaDisney
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I needed an option to pick 2 answers.

AKL is my favorite resort. It was my first resort and it was also connected to a special trip and memory.

I think it also has to do where you stay the most. It's like, how they say, "Welcome Home" when you arrive at the resort. Your favorite resort is where you feel like it is your home at WDW.

forever a child
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Our first trip was during spring break (Never again). We had never heard of "discounts" or anything...so I paid rack rate:oops: So we were in the Value. I would not even had known about staying on Disney property but our dental hygienist told us we HAD to when we mentioned to her that we would be going to WDW for the first time. So we stayed at ASMo which is my favorite value but it is not my favorite resort. I spent double on that trip of what most of my other trips since have run me now that I have learned how to save and get better value for my $. :thumbsup:

Port Orleans Riverside is my favorite "home" resort. And my favorite "dream" resort is Grand Floridian. :cloud9:

kcrc
01-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Our first two trips (honeymoon and 1st trip with kids), we stayed at the Contemporary. We liked it, but... our next trip was when a lot of construction was going on there. So we switched to the Poly that year. Now we're hooked. That resort now feels like home to us. I always ask my family if they want to try somewhere new, but we always end up back at the Poly!

MarkC
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
No by a long ways. Our first stay was at POFQ, which was great with a 6 and 3 year old. However, we've stayed at several others and I would rate POFQ only above the AS Sports. I still have great memories of the trip but not the motel itself.

buzznwoodysmom
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM
All Star Movies was the first resort we stayed at and its not my favorite at all. Wilderness Lodge was the first deluxe we stayed at and that's our favorite resort, our "home away from home" in WDW. I do love the Poly as well, but for some reason WL just seems like home to us and I do believe its because it was our first deluxe, and only our second time staying onsite.

kakn7294
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
My first resort was Caribbean Beach for our honeymoon in '93 and while I still like it quite a bit, it's not my favorite, even in the moderate category. My favorite resort is Wilderness Lodge followed by POFQ, Pop Century, then CBR.

crltkcagle
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
We love ASM! But as a family of 5 we are not allowed to stay there unless we get two rooms. Don't get me wrong POR is nice but if we had a choice it would be one room at ASM! It just feels more Disney like there to us than POR does. Guess maybe its because we are from New Orleans.

DisneyDoug2
01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Our first stay was at the CB, it was nice, but we never stayed there again. Every year we try to find a new resort to experience.

cather74
01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Our first trips were mostly with my parents to the Poly. We also stayed at the GF and Cont for other family trips. When we got older it was ASM, ASMO, POFQ and CB with either friends, sister, or husband. Finally stayed back at the Pply with the whole family. So the honor goes to ...........the Poly. No question. It really is like going home.:mickey:

RedSoxFan
01-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Our first resort was POFQ. Lovely place. But my favorite would be either AKL or WL. It's a tough choice to make --- maybe AKL edging just a little more to my favorite. DH still likes POFQ the best and wants to stay there the next time we go.

IloveJack
01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
We stayed at CBR on our first trip, but it's not my favorite. POR is. It's where my hubby and I went on our first trip together. My family has stayed here before. I love the beauty and laid-back feeling. Of course, I've never stayed in a deluxe, so that might change things, but for now, I think Alligator Bayou in POR is the best!

kemps@wdw
01-14-2011, 10:16 PM
The "Golf Resort" was our first stay back in '80. Then the Poly, then the Contemporary. That's all there was when we first started going to the World. Our 1st trip w/our then 5 yr old DD was @ the CBR. After a couple of stays there, we were "upgraded" to the WL and have stayed there ever since! We have enjoyed them all, but so far, our fave has been the WL. However, we have decided the on our next visit, we'll probably try the Poly again, you know...try something new! (kinda)

Jpxv
01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
The first time I ever stayed on Disney property was at All-Star Sports. While I will always remember the excitment FINALLY staying on property brought, it is not my first choice when deciding. The Wilderness Lodge on the other hand is by far my favorite for a bunch of different reasons, location, atmosphere..and more importantly it was the first vacation I had ever been on with my grilfriend.. who is my wife now

jokat
01-19-2011, 10:19 AM
We actually won our first trip, and were spoiled with a 5-day stay at GF. Hard to beat that, but Poly is a close second for us. Love POR, too...but GF will always be a sentimental favorite.

beksy
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
My first resort was the CBR and it is one of my favorites but I will probably only stay there again if my favorite moderate, POFQ, is unavailable. As for favorite overall it is tied between the CR and the Poly. I can't decide which is my fave...I love the dining at the Poly and the theming but I am also one of the few that loves the themeing at the CR and it is so convenient to have everything downstairs (we were in the tower). For our honeymoon (and fiance's first trip!) we managed a pin for the honeymoon suite at WL so it may be a 3-way tie! I've dreamed of staying at WL but was always out-voted.

Granny Jill A
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
My first resort was Port Orleans, before the consolidation. I love the memories associated with that first trip, but I am eager to try other resorts as well.

So, I don't have a favorite, yet :D

wdwfamilyof4
01-20-2011, 09:39 AM
We've been 3 times. The first 2 we stayed at all star movies. It was our first visit to WDW and we loved it. This time we stayed at pop and we'd rather go back to ASMov. Both are basically the same but the first one was more special probably because the excitement of actually getting to WDW. I wonder if it's becasue both are value? If we'd upgraded my answer would likely be different.

GrmGrninGost
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
We are trying to stay at all of the WDW resorts. My favorite has changed several times as we try new ones. It all has to do with atmosphere for me. :mickey:

johnO
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
On my first trip I stayed at ASsports. Although Disney "Magic" was definetly there, it is not my favorite resort.

Mousemates
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
The contemporary resort was my first resort...way back in the sevenites...and it remains my favorite resort on the monorail. But my favorite resort is the WL...love the atmosphere and location...very relaxing place ot be and close enough to the action to not feel like your in the middle of nowhere (like we do at the very similar AKL).

joonyer
01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Our first family resort stay was at All-Stars. It was fine. we had a great time on that trip, mainly in the parks. We have never been back to All-Stars. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but we have tried other places and like them better. We are really park commandos, and almost all of our precious family memories were made in the parks. Out favorite resort stay was Wilderness Lodge, although we had a great time camping at Fort wilderness, too. Our next trip will be at the Poly or Contemporary.

c&d
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
The first resort we stayed in was the Contemporary and it just felt cold to us. The next time we stayed at Dixie Landings and that is the resort that holds the special place for us. We just had a wonderful time there. If we're staying 1 night before checking into VWL I almost always choose POR.

darthmacho
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, I have to admit, our favorite resort, the Wilderness Lodge, was not only our first trip, but also our honeymoon, and therefore is held in the highest esteem simply due to its sentimental value. Nevertheless, when we were deciding on which resort at which to stay, we carefully chose the theme that we thought best suited us, and my wife and I both agree that the WL is the most beautiful of all the resorts. I love all of the other resorts at which we've stayed and visited, but none compare to WL. :mickey:

Gator
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Nope. My first trip, we stayed at POR, and I'll probably never stay there again. I hated the Alligator Bayou - and since a mansion room can't be guaranteed, I'll never go back.

My second trip was at the CBR. This was my very best trip. Loved it and loved CBR.

My third trip was at Coronado Springs. This resort became my favorite. The proximity to parks, the great places to eat, the beautiful scenery all make this place my fav. However, the trip was not my favorite. My wife was prego so I had to ride all the adult attractions alone, and that was no fun (though we've had to get used to it).

Sorry to be another one to bust the theory.

IloveDisney71
01-27-2011, 10:06 PM
The Poly is my favorite resorts and it is one of the last resorts I've stayed at.

PirateLover
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
My first resort, and the one I've stayed at the most, is the Polynesian. I definitely have fond memories there and still love the resort, but after our recent stay at Wilderness Lodge I think I have a new favorite! I do think your theory holds water for some people, though. I know a few who had a great experience their first time around and are hesitant to try somewhere else. I know a family that has been going pretty much every year for close to 2 decades... not only do they stay in the same resort (Poly) but they also get the same exact room number each time!!

Ian
01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Mine actually is, yes. My first resort was the Contemporary and that continues to be my favorite today.

jimsgal05
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
mine onsite was all star Music in 96 it was so fun and it was awesome..CM were great and we stayed there many times and ahve done others Loved Pop and book a trip there for sept 09' in feb ..only to be upgrade to Saratoga with a free meal plan...our family fell in love with it..BUt I am going for my honeymoon this may to poly...which I have always want to go to. been there for lilo and stitch breakfast so I am sure this will be great!!! it will be a toss up between the 2 places...but all star music was still a great palce for me

mouse2508
02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
We have several fav's as well, for convenience it's POFQ. Last trip was our 1st stay @ AKL and enjoyed going to bed / waking each morning with the animals on the Savannah :cloud9:

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-27-2011, 05:54 PM
For our honeymoon, we were all booked to stay at POP, but then free dining came out and we moved to POR. Well, we liked POR, but on a boat trip to DTD we saw POFQ and DH loved the look of it, so we tried it for our family anniversary trip the next year.

Well, it is DH's favourite and DD loves it too, so it has become our Disney home. As for me, just once I want to try Wilderness Lodge!

Narawen
02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
My favorite resort is actually one I haven't stayed in yet (Poly). In terms of the favorite I've stayed in, no. Its from a trip I took in high school with my mom (AKL). The first few trips we stayed at the All Stars, my first deluxe was the Contemporary, but I don't really care for it as much as the other deluxes.

luvdiznee
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I have too many favorite resorts.:fit: I've always chosen according to theme, which is why CBR was my first choice. :vacation: Even though I have been back there, it is not my favorite.:secret:

Maybe I don't have a favorite. But I do love; AKL, BW and the Poly.:cloud9:

Pop Centurion
02-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Our first resort was the Dolphin which is a beautiful place but not our favorite. We had an amazing balcony view of Epcot & the BW. I remember watching Illuminations from the balcony on a few nights & the convenience of being between both Epcot & DHS (MGM at the time) was awesome but we just don't spend enough time at our resort to justify spending that kind of money again. But the Dolphin will always be a memorable resort for us.
Not just because of the price but Pop is definitely our favorite because of the theme & atmosphere. We've stayed there so much that we just can't bring ourselves to try any other resort. It's like home to us.

Janmac
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Our first resort was the Poly, and it was a magical trip, but the Poly is not our favorite. Second resort, also magical, was to CBR. Still not our favorite. Third resort, a special trip when most of our extended family came also, is Beach Club, high on the list but still not favorite.

Up to this point, we were thinking we wanted to try all the resorts on property.

Next resort was Wilderness Lodge and that is tied for first place. The one we dream of when wanting/needing to go back to WDW. Next resort - and tied with WL - was Fort Wilderness, an absolute gem of a campground. If we have the time to drag the trailer down, FW is the place to be. Otherwise, WL is our home away from home. The ambiance apparently resonates with us.

We're not interested now in trying other resorts, tho we're toying with the idea of a first night at Contemporary on the next trip before moving to VWL. And we must do a return to the Beach Club when the 20 "anniversary" of our stay there rolls around.

Jan

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
As you get older you want other things from your resort, that what you thought was important before.