PDA

View Full Version : Rafting the New River

tundramom
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
For a summer trip we are thinking going down to W.Va. and doing a few days of white water rafting and zip lining on the New River. My DH is the only one who's had any experience- the Colorado when he was 16-so long ago it doesn't count:rotfl: I am ruling out the Gauley because neither my DD or DH are strong swimmers or even that comfortable in that type of water, so we'll start slow. I've been pricing separately, "all inclusive" and was wondering if anyone had been and has any tips. If we stayed "off" we'd probably go Fayetteville due to restaurant choices. I can understand the river tour prices, what has surprised me the most is the cost of food and lodging. For a 3-4 day trip we are comparable to Disney in price/day. I'm looking for any and all feedback. Thanks guys!

Emsparents
01-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Hello Tundramom!
We live 20 minutes from the Gorge, I have been down river many times. You want to be careful who you book with it will make a huge difference on the experience you have. The best on the river is Class 6, they have the best equipment, guides, and have been on the river the longest. They also have alot to do at their base camp, they have a new ropes course and a zip line course.

As far as staying and eating there are a number of options as far as hotels in Summersville and Beckley which is only about 20 minutes away each. There are a number of restaurants in these areas as well. Fayetteville and Oak Hill are closer and also have hotel and food options that will not break the bank for you.

Another option you may consider is one of our State Parks. The closest ones are Babcock, and Hawksnest. If you Google WV State Parks you can access the state website and get info on these parks. They offer campsites, cabins, and lodge rooms. They are beautiful too!

Fayetteville has a number of great restaurants, one of the best is Pies and Pints, it is a Pizza place that is THE BEST!!!! Cathedral Cafe is good as well.

Be careful on your speed on Route 19 as you travel to the area. DO THE SPEED LIMIT! It is notorius as one of the worst speed traps in america!

Hope this helps you. You will love the New River it is as beautiful and so much fun. The National Park Service does a number of free programs that you can find out about at the Visitors Center located at the Bridge.

Have a great time and let me be the first to say "Welcome to West Virginia, Thanks for vacationing with us and come back soon!!!

The Crews Family
Beckley, WV

tundramom
01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I was looking at Hawksnest, but it looked like it may be a bit time consuming to get to the river from there, I was assuming winding, 2 lane road loaded with people all trying to go the same direction? I had already written down Pies and Pints, what about Diogi's? The only guide site I had looked at was River Runners so it's nice to have another name to research> Thanks for the welcome as well, I'm really starting to get excited about this, it will be a huge departure from our normal vacation style.

tundramom
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Ooooh, I almost forgot, thanks for the warning! I am a notorious leadfoot, I swear the locals have a picture of my car posted in all of their cruisers:blush:

kakn7294
01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
The only experience I have with the New River is driving over the bridge on my way to WDW every year!