PDA

View Full Version : Is the Food & Wine festival worth it at Epcot?

forever a child
01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I am still trying to decide on trip dates for 2011. We are trying to decide on late September or mid to late October. One of the reasons is the F&W festival. I understand by evening it gets really crowded, especially on the weekends. Also, it sounds like there is a the possibility of being around people who have drank more than they should. We are primarily going for the Halloween time with MNSSHP and to visit during low crowd times and for cheaper resort rates. I do not drink either and my DD will be 17 and I really don't want to plan our Epcot dates during times when I feel uncomfortable with her being there while there are a bunch of intoxicated people. Also, we do want to enjoy an evening at Epcot...we don't want to have to leave just because the park is too packed. Is it really worth it for us to be there in October? Or would the crowd level be mild during the early part of the festival?

We have 3 potential weeks that I am considering...

1) Sept 26 - Oct 2nd (DD's 17th Bday is Oct 1st)
2) Oct 6th - 12th
3) Oct 24th - 30th

We could look at early Nov. But we didn't have warm weather for our Dec 2010 trip and I would really like some nice pool weather and not sure how early in November the temperatures can start to drop and if the crowd levels start to build as well.

Thanks for advise!

Suz36
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I was shocked at your title at first, but after reading your full post, I understand a bit better. We loved Food and Wine! We went in
'09 with our little ones, but didn't really get much out of it because of their interest in other things, so we went back just hubby and I in '10. Our experience was that yes, the food booths do get busy in the evenings, but I didn't feel like it really impacted the rides or the pavilions themselves. We were there in early October both times. And as far as the risk of people overindulging, we didn't see any of that at Epcot - the only problem we saw was a man at the Boardwalk who'd obviously had too much at a nearby bar or nightclub. It was definitely pool weather both years at that time - really hot in '09 in fact. Even if you don't drink, if you enjoy trying new foods, I definitely think it's worthwhile! I think if you go with your 2nd or 3rd choice, you're looking at resort rates being a bit higher, and the 2nd choice is probably over Columbus Day weekend, which would increase crowds. So based on what you're looking for, your first choice sounds like the best - crowds and rates should be lower, and you could catch Food and Wine at the tail end of the trip. Happy planning!

Hair_Razor
01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Agree with pp, first week would be my choice mostly because of your DD's bday!!

We have gone multiple times for F&W and LOVE IT! It is our favourite time to go, we have never had any problems with crowds getting crazy or even being that busy. We do try to avoid it on the weekend days because of posts on here. I think you guys should really enjoy it.

Dsnygirl
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM
We LOVE the F&W Festival and wouldn't miss it... and I think that even if you don't care to have a drink, you would still enjoy the ambience and the music/concerts, as well as all the different food from the different countries. The atmosphere is really great.

We've honestly never seen anybody overly intoxicated, or even mildly, really... I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it is ever the norm.

And I agree with some of the other posters about avoiding it on the wknds... it does get very busy, and maybe that is when more of the heavier drinking goes on. But mid-week should be great!

I would choose the week of your DD's b'day and give it a whirl... I think you'd find it to be fun. :)

johnO
01-08-2011, 09:36 AM
F&W is the best time to go. DW and I love it. The weather is great and the atmosphere of F&W is fantastic. Never had issues with drunks.

BugeyedMuggy
01-09-2011, 02:13 PM
We love the F&WF. It is the one week we go every year. I will say the weekends do get very busy and have come across so people who should have been shut off due to over indulging. But we go during the week to Epcot and try to plan early afternoons. The eat to the beat shows are also alot of fun.

wolfhog
01-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Weekends can be very crowded at the F&W otherwise it is a great time to go. As far as intoxicated people go they're few and far between (and trying the different food is great). Halloween is my favorite time to be there and if you get a chance the (horror nights) at the other (universal) place is excellent. That being said Mickey's Halloween Party is worth doing at least once. Enjoy!

Disney Doll
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Having taken multiple trips in your date range myself I would opt for late Oct. In my experience there is a vast difference between weather in late Sept and late Oct. One month really does make a huge difference. We've gone the last week in Sept twice now and it was awfully hot both years...like uncomfortable sweaty mess hot. We tried late October and found that it was warm enough for swimming, but not so hot that you felt miserable in the afternoon heat. Weather would be the #1 factor for me with your dates, but food and wine would be a great bonus. We love FWF. We don't drink either, but we love the food. We usually hit the festival in the afternoons when crowds are lightest and we've had great experiences (not many drunks that early either).

Granny Jill A
01-10-2011, 09:18 AM
We've gone to F&W several times and had a great experience each time. We start cruising the food booths around lunch time and are usually done by the time the crowds pick up. Never noticed folks who have had too much to drink, except in Rose and Crown ;).

Previous advice about avoiding the weekends is good. They would be crowded even without the F&W.

Have a great time.

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
C'mon, you're @ WDW. You're not gonna see a bunch of stumbling, obnoxious, drunks falling around everywhere. We always go in Oct because of our DDs fall break. And we love the Food & Wine Fest. It does get a little more crowded on the weekends which is why we go during the week. I've yet to see anyone there who needed to be refused spirits. Really, the most obnoxious people I've seen weren't even drinking! The most crowded I've every seen it was when the Beach Boys were playing @ the American Gardens Theater and then it was just a large cluster by the entrance. The great weather, the lower crowds, and the F&W Fest are the reasons we go in early Oct.