PDA

View Full Version : Ending the Trip at MK at Midnight - Where to Park??

Red Randal
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Here's an odd question for the Intercot faithful.

The final day of my trip will be 1/15 when the Magic Kingdom closes at midnight. We intend on taking full advantage of the long day at the MK and staying until park closing (or at least very close to it.) Afterwards we will be driving home to Clearwater.

Beforehand we will be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter for a few days.

Sooo....taking into account or travel plans and likely level of exhaustion after 15 hours in the Magic Kingdom would you suggest...

Driving to the park in the morning and then braving the monorail/ferry to the TTC and parking lot trams and then driving directly home. OR...
Taking WDW Transportation to and from the Magic Kingdom and departing from Port Orleans. (We would leave our luggage in the car instead of getting it from bell services in the middle of the night.)

clausjo
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Having done this before when we lived in the Ft. Lauderdale, area, my vote is to use the bus service. It generally will be faster than the monorail and tram, which can be very crowded when the parks close. Also, if you want to use the restroom real quick or get a nice hot cup of coffee ( :coffee: always my choice!) for the drive, it's there for you in the hotel. Have fun and good luck!

Frog
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
wow! that is some serious planning!! Love it!

Buttercup
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I was going to say park at the Magic Kingdom. We never, ever use the trams. It's faster just to walk the length of the parking lot to get to the monorail station at the TTC. :mickey:
And after a long, wonderful last day at the Magic Kingdom, what would you rather do:
- wait in a lineup for a crowded bus where you'll probably be standing, squished in there while going back to Port Orleans, or...
- taking one last monorail ride and watching the castle fade off, then casually strolling back to your car in the empty Magic Kingdom parking lot.

I'd pick Option #2. :thumbsup:

Red Randal
01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Having done this before when we lived in the Ft. Lauderdale, area, my vote is to use the bus service. It generally will be faster than the monorail and tram, which can be very crowded when the parks close. Also, if you want to use the restroom real quick or get a nice hot cup of coffee ( :coffee: always my choice!) for the drive, it's there for you in the hotel. Have fun and good luck!

I was going to say park at the Magic Kingdom.
And after a long, wonderful last day at the Magic Kingdom, what would you rather do:
- wait in a lineup for a crowded bus where you'll probably be standing, squished in there while going back to Port Orleans, or...
- taking one last monorail ride and watching the castle fade off, then casually strolling back to your car in the empty Magic Kingdom parking lot.

Two very good points. Right now I'm leaning towards Buttercup and option 2. Especially since Sassagoula will be closed by midnight so I won't be able to get that coffee that clausjo suggested. I can stop at the Hess station or somewhere similar for gas and drinks and then hit the road.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise....?

BellesRose
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
We always go park at the MK or whatever Park we are going to...of course, like you, we live in Clearwater, so we rarely spend the night. But there is something fun about getting snacks or McDonald's late at night and driving home straight from the park.

brownie
01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd park at the Ticket & Transportation Center. If you get there in the morning before the park opens, you'll probably be able to avoid the tram ride.

Red Randal
01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
We always go park at the MK or whatever Park we are going to...of course, like you, we live in Clearwater, so we rarely spend the night. But there is something fun about getting snacks or McDonald's late at night and driving home straight from the park.

Hello neighbor!

I prefer to get in my late night dining at Steak & Shake (on 580 by the mall) after I get back home, haha. :thumbsup:

Frog
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
i would want to hear those "crickets. and bullfrogs" while riding the bus to POR one more time before we left... but the monorail ride one last time would be cool too! I think you can't go wrong with either!

crltkcagle
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd park at the Ticket & Transportation Center. If you get there in the morning before the park opens, you'll probably be able to avoid the tram ride.

I agree, that's what we do too.

Daisy'sMom
01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear that so many others have a trip home after a long day at Disney. We are going to Epcot tomorrow and the trip home is about two hours for us, on 50 all the way home. After Clermont, it's a lonely drive so we stop in Clermont for a snack before the long drive. I would not take the bus back to PO. THat would make me to sad that everyone else was staying and I had to leave.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
For the Magic Kingdom, I would park at the resort and use the buses. As someone previously mentioned, the ferries and monorail can be very crowded at parking closing and it might take a while to get on them (unless you leave the park 15 minutes or so before closing). In our experience, the buses are a more efficient and timely way to get out of the park.

paragon
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Drive to MK very early, as if you had an 8am breakfast reservation, chances are, you will be parking in the first row, and leave the car there all day! Use the resort monorail (typically less crowded ) and you can walk right to your car.
On our last trip, we did this. we had an 815 breakfast, parked in the first row, second space. We did MK for a bit, and busses to DHS, then back at night. At the end, we just used the resort monorail, and then short walk right to the car.