PDA

View Full Version : DAK/DHS in One Day - Your Strategy

Red Randal
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Next Thursday, 1/13, I'm going to have one day to do both Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I'm counting on the lighter crowds to make this doable. The way I see it, the only way I can fit in all of the headliners at each park is to do it this way:

Start at Hollywood Studios
Ride Toy Story Mania first thing
Ride Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster with the help of Fastpass
Maybe fit in a show before noon.
Head to Animal Kingdom to ride Everest and the Safari, with the help of Fastpass if necessary.
Fit in as much as we can at Animal Kingdom until closing time.
Go back to Hollywood Studios for whatever we can fit in before the 8pm Fantasmic.

It's so tough because to see Toy Story Mania and Fantasmic we need to start and end the day at DHS. (And no, waiting for 60-90 minutes at TSM is not an option, I rather spend that time on busses, TBH.)

I keep see sawing back and forth between thinking the lighter crowds make this extremely doable and thinking I'm totally insane for thinking it could work.

What do you folks think?

KylesMom
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Red, I think your plan is totally doable. Since neither park has morning or evening EMH (AK has them the night before on the 12th) you won't see an influx of "extra" visitors in either park.

Now, that being said, we've noticed that DHS is more crowded on days that have Fantasmic scheduled. However, since it's your plan to get there at opening & hit the main three attractions, potentially a show & get outta dodge to AK, I think you'll be fine. I don't know that I'd expect to be able to do a lot when you return to DHS late in the afternoon/early evening, but for what you have planned, I think you'll be good. :mickey:

Frog
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
we did it just like that on our first visit a few years back.. so it is very do-able...
then on your return visit a few years later, you can hit all those things you missed!! (just gives us reasons to plan the next trip ;) )
Have Fun!!

disneymom15
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I would do it just as you suggested, with 1 exception. Instead of getting a fast pass for ToT or RnRC I would get a FP for TSM and save it for your evening at HS. Our last few trips, wait times for ToT and RnRC were not that bad. I would just do stand by. Incase you didn't know, FP's can be used anytime after the time indicated.

DisneyorBust
01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Red, you have a very doable plan! I agree with your strategy. To dovetail on disneymom15's post, I would go with your DHS plan AND obtain a Fast Pass for TSM on your way out of the park. Hopefully, you'll get to enjoy TSM twice in one day.
Good luck! and have a great trip.
Let us know how it works out for you.

KylesMom
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I would go with your DHS plan AND obtain a Fast Pass for TSM on your way out of the park. Remember, however, that the park ticket systems are linked. So if you get a FP before you leave DHS, you'll need to wait until the time it tells you that another FP can be gotten to grab one at AK. Maybe not a big deal, but chances are good that it will be two hours after you procure the last one at DHS for TSM due to the popularity of that particular FP.

We tried to do something similar in the past & didn't realize that we'd have to wait to get another FP when we entered another park!

WishingStar2006
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
All the fast passes for TSM will be gone if you are trying to get one on your way out of DHS to go to AK. I would get that FP first thing (for evening use), that way you'll be able to get FP at AK when you get there.

Also, I would suggest a Fantasmic DInner Package for when you get back to DHS...that way you won't have to wait in LOOONGGGG lines to get in. As a previous poster said, the days that there is Fantasmic scheduled at DHS, it get's VERY CROWDED!!!!

disneymom15
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=WishingStar2006;2131204][FONT="Century Gothic"]All the fast passes for TSM will be gone if you are trying to get one on your way out of DHS to go to AK. I would get that FP first thing (for evening use), that way you'll be able to get FP at AK when you get there.

Exactly

Gator
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you and some other about one point. Just because there's no EMH at either park, doesn't mean there won't be crowds. In fact, the busiest days of the week at DHS are the days with Fantasmic!. The AK will have very light crowds - I've never seen it busy at AK on a Thursday. But DHS will be packed, and the line for Fantasmic! will start growing 2 hours before the show, and maybe even earlier. Good luck!

Buttercup
01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
It's very do-able. We always do AK and HS in the same day, with a similar plan to yours. :mickey:

BellesRose
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I would never dream about doing all of that in one day...more power to ya! :number1:
When do you eat??? :confused:

Red Randal
01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I would never dream about doing all of that in one day...more power to ya! :number1:
When do you eat??? :confused:

Likely a late lunch at Animal Kingdom (though admitedly that could be an issue with Everest, Dinosaur, and Primeval Whirl in the plans) and then dinner that night is already planned for T-Rex after the parks close.

Frog
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
ahh, you can eat later lol!! Hope you guys have a blast!!!

Stickey
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
3 days for AK and DHS would be a better option.
Going on your favorites and skipping the shows is the only way to make your plan work. TSM and a Fantasmic day necesitates an early start at DHS.

Suz36
01-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a great and very doable plan, especially with disneymom15's idea about the FP for TSM to be used later. Let us know if you succeed in your quest!

PrettyMinnie
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I think the plan is very doable, just be flexible and expect the unexpected! Have fun!! :mickey:

paragon
01-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I guess your plan would work, looks like you have thught it out.
On the other hand, if t were me, I would actually start out at AK, which I have found less crowded in the mornings, and if you're planning on KS then a better chance at seeing animals. You's have to decide on FP either way, so I guess it depends on where you rate each attraction. I say AK in the morning also because DHS stays open later.
There may some time lost in the transportation.

lindique
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I would get the fastpass for Toy Story Mania as soon as you arrive, save it for later, and then get right on the standby line. Although the sign might show some horrible wait time, it is not accurate at that time of the morning, since there is no one coming back with fastpass tickets yet (I hope that makes sense!) I have never waited on the standby line more than 20 minutes early in the morning, even though the signs might say 40 or 60 minutes. Although you might have to wait 15 or 20 minutes, I think it's worth it - you have to see Mr. Potatohead and the rest of the queue - it's really cute and you bypass it all on the fastpass line!!

Red Randal
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
After all of this we may have come up with a better solution: HIDDEN OPTION C!!

We go to Animal Kingdom for opening, stay til lunch then go to DHS for the afternoon and evening.

THEN the NEXT MORNING we forgo our plans to sleep in and go to DHS for Toy Story Mania before heading over to Epcot for our planned day touring World Showcase (and :beer: around the world!!)

We decided we're only at Disney for 3 days so we could sacrifice sleeping in. Still though...I think this plan could have worked.