PDA

View Full Version : Cold Help!

White Rose
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
And, of course, as luck would have it, I'm leaving on Tuesday to go to WDW for a whole week and I woke up this morning with a cold. It's early enough that I think I can stave it off. I'm sitting here sipping OJ and I even got desperate enough to take a small teaspoon of Fire Cider (one of my best friends is in her first year for her MS at Tai Sophia for Herbal Medicine and this was one of my Christmas gifts. Can we say yuck?) I've had another friend suggest Zicam, which I'm going to pick up from the pharmacy today.

Does anyone else have any cold remedies for me? And, of course, how you handle a cold at the parks? Any help is greatly appreciated! :ill:

cer
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
For cold relief, especially trying to fend off an impending cold before vacationing to Disney World, I have used Airborne as well as Emergen-C.

I usually use one or the other, I think I favor Emergen-C over Airborne. These products seem to help.

Emergen-C is a vitamin pack you add to water and drink, my husband and I prefer the orange flavor. It is fizzy and I believe that you can take it twice a day.

Also, in the parks, wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer and make sure you use hand rails minimally. You know, just be conscientious of what you touch.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great trip! :mickey:

dnickels
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
For me biggest thing is to get some good sleep at night - better than any mineral or vitamin or supplement or magic cure-all.

If that means you have to go to bed at 9 or 9:30 just do it, turn off the TV, the cell phone, the computer and anything else that might keep you up at night. You've got five more nights until you leave, five good nights of rest should be plenty of time to shake off a cold.

Edit to add - If you go to your favorite search engine and type in 'does vitamin C cure or shorten colds' you'll find that study after study has found the answer is basically no. There's probably a bit of a placebo affect there (along with most other remedies), but other than that, cold cures really don't do much other than alleviate the symptoms. Eat well, exercise, get your rest and your immune system will take care of it in short order.

princessgirls
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Fluids and Rest!!!

Sudafed (the good stuff that you have to sign for behind the counter of the pharmacy, not the stuff that is on the shelves) and Motrin/Advil or Ibuprofen.

Good Luck!!!

Julie:mickey:

crazypoohbear
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Head cold - musinex D (behind the counter at the pharmacy)
TONS of water, juice, extra vitamin C.
Sleep, tylenol
Humidifier running 24/7.
Chest cold - Musinex DM, or Robitussin DM

My sister said someone told her Vicks vapor rub on your feet with warm socks before bed.

crazypoohbear
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh, and warm Tea, hot cocoa and soup to keep the sinus' clear and lots of hand washing, lysol the heck out of everything that you touch in the house so no one else gets sick.
I spray the pillows, beds, comforters aslo.

laprana
01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I definitely agree with using a humidifier/vaporizer to help a cold! The last time I had a bad cold, I used a vaporizer and put some Vick's liquid in the water. It really helped open up my nose and allowed me to breathe much easier! And I would also recommend lots of rest. Getting a good night's sleep can really make a difference in how you feel, especially when you're sick, so be sure to rest up! I hope you're feeling much better very soon, and have a great trip! :mickey:

NewDVCowner
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I just had good luck with Zicam when I was starting to feel sick. It did delay the illness, however as soon as I stopped taking I got hit HARD with the cold. Still fighting it now a week later.

Plenty of fluids and rest, and I agree with a previous poster of making sure to lysol everything in the house so no one else will catch it.

Niecyboo
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I have had good luck with Zicam or Cold-Eze (same ingredients). It doesn't take the cold away completely, but it does seem to lessen the symptoms and length a bit. As hard as it is for any busy adult to do, rest is probably the best cure, though.

BellesRose
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
As I was going to bed last night, I was suddenly hit with what felt like the beginning of a cold. I slept terrible. Still felt bad this morning...if not worse. I ended up going back to sleep today (Afternoon) and slept for 3 solid hours, and I already feel a lot better. I definitely recommend sleep, tea, and soup!

brownie
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I've heard Buckley's can work wonders but tastes horrible. I don't do cold medicines since they make sick by themselves so I've never tried it.

Fluids, rest, & humidity are really the best medicine I think.

TinyDancer
01-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Theraflu with one spoonful of sugar and one spoonful of a fruit preserve. Don't ask me why or how, some kind of varient on a russian cure, haha. Drink it fast, it tastes like a thick candy syrup!! And I think the nighttime one has some ingredient to help you sleep, at least it helped me sleep!!

TheVBs
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I second the Sudafed recommendation, the one you get from the pharmacy counter. It works great! Gargle salt water for a sore throat and use a saline nasal spray.

White Rose
01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, after my mother badgering me and me not wanting to go to Patient First in the event they just tell me it's something viral, I went to Patient First for HER peace of mind just to make sure my cold was ACTUALLY a cold...

Er...

I guess Mom's always right? :blush: Imagine my shock and surprise when the doctor at Patient First informed me I had strep throat AND a sinus infection. :confused:

So, I now, happily, have an antibiotic. And orders to rest, of course. Thanks for everyone's help, though! All your suggestions have been great! :thumbsup: