PDA

View Full Version : In Room Charging ~ credit card alternative

brystonmama1975
01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I am travelling at the end of the month and staying in Coronado Springs. I didn't want to use a credit card on the in room charges. I called and asked Coronado Springs about alternatives. They said I can apply travel cheques or cash and put them on the room account. Instead of holding the $1000 on a credit card they will put the limit at the cash/TC I give them. If there is any money left over they will refund the cash.

Has anyone else done this? Problems/comments appreciated.

(Note:Room booked with BIL's card thats why I want my own $ on the account)

DizneyRox
01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Each room key can have their own payment method. Whatever that payment method is doesn't matter, it can be cash, credit, etc.

The key is going to be finding someone who knows how to do what you're asking about. It can be done, ask for a manager if they refuse.

I've done cash before, but when I did, I used it all. I have a ton of DD that I wanted to use up, so I put them on the card, then charged up a storm. Never had to deal with the refund procedure. I don't know if they will provide a refund on the spot, or if they will need to cut a check and mail it home.

brystonmama1975
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't know if they will provide a refund on the spot, or if they will need to cut a check and mail it home.

Thats a big concern . Don't want to wait for refund cheque. Rather do cash if its going to be a big pain.

WishingStar2006
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
The credit card you tie to your room key for charging purposes DOES NOT have to be the same card that the room reservation was made with. You can certainly use your own credit card for this purpose.

VWL Mom
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
You could also give a portion of the cash at check-in and then add to it when the balance is low.

brystonmama1975
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
The credit card you tie to your room key for charging purposes DOES NOT have to be the same card that the room reservation was made with. You can certainly use your own credit card for this purpose.

I don't have one.

Basket Mommy
01-06-2011, 01:23 PM
We did traveler's checks once because we don't use credit cards, either. We didn't have any problems, and I think it really helped us curb our spending because we knew we had a set limit.

kakn7294
01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
For room charges, you may use a credit card, debit card, pre-paid "credit" card, travelers' checks, or cash (the last 2 may be in the amount you choose up to the resort limit). You may actually also use your BIL's credit card and pay in cash at the end of the trip as the card isn't charged until you either reach your charging limit - $500 at values, $1000 at moderates, or $1500 at deluxes and DVC - or you check out. At that time just tell them that you wish to switch payment methods and pay in cash instead.

forever a child
01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
We used Disney gift cards. We had 3 gift cards that I was able to buy at a discounted price and placed those on our room key to pay for our meals with. It worked out fine.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I put cash down once and it worked very well....

CleveRocks
01-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Instead of holding the $1000 on a credit card they will put the limit at the cash/TC I give them.
When you set up a room charge with a credit card, they DO NOT put a hold on any funds. They don't pre-charge anything. They don't even check to see if you have enough available credit.

If you use a credit card to set up a room charge, it is NOT automatically the credit card used to pay for the room. The only way they would automatically set up the room charge with a past-used credit card is if you do online check-in (up to 10 days in advance) and you opt-in to enter e credit card number and have that already set up for room charge upon your arrival.

To answer your other questions, people use cash for room charge all the time. It's not a rare or odd thing.

Yes, at check-out, you'll receive an immediate cash refund for any cash not used up by your room charge account.

twinboyz
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
We don't like to use CC's either. We do give them a card but pay cash/travelrs checks at the end of our trip so nothing hits the card. I've never noticed a pending charge from Disney so I believe they do NOT pre-authorize a set amount.

If you don't have a CC you can use, maybe put $200.00 in Traveler Checks on the room and keep track of your charges. In a few days put some more $$ on the room. Or maybe this trip don't charge anything to the room. That might be easiest for you? Good luck with whatever you decide!

WDWCrazyKaren
01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
We did it once and I won't do it again. Many years ago, we put $800 in Disney Dollars that my kids had received over the year on account so we could just use our room key card. We used about $575 in that money and never did see a refund check. Even after tons of calls and letters, we chalked that $225 up to bad experience!

CleveRocks
01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
We did it once and I won't do it again. Many years ago, we put $800 in Disney Dollars that my kids had received over the year on account so we could just use our room key card. We used about $575 in that money and never did see a refund check. Even after tons of calls and letters, we chalked that $225 up to bad experience!I'm not sure why you sat back at home and waited for a refund check. It's policy that guests receive their cash back at the time of in-person check-out at the front desk.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Just a bad move on our part. The CM at the registration desk told me a check would be mailed, so I didn't give it another thought. It was probably 8 years ago. I gave up on it 7 1/2 years ago! :cool: