PDA

View Full Version : Only one day at Disney.

MizMissy
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Where would you go? What's your plan?

We have a group of friends going to Universal for a long Memorial Day weekend. Looks like we will join them. My kids are very excited about HP land. When discussing the trip, my DH says "I'm completely Disney'd out." WHAT??? Ohhhh, stab me in heart! .... I kind of knew it after last year's trip - don't get me wrong, we had a WONDERFUL trip, I guess he's just ready for new places. Our plans are to hit Universal, stay at Hard Rock, have lots of hang out/rest time. However, it hit me, how can I be that close to Disney and not go?
So, I started thinking/dreaming .... if I only had one day, what park would I pick? What would I do with my day? Now, this assumes I would be alone, because if my kids join me, I'm sure the answer would be very, very different. I love MK, Splash is my favorite ride, but I think if I had to choose, a day by myself at Disney, the choice would HAVE to be EPCOT.
My ideal day at EPCOT: arrive at opening. Head straight to Soarin. We missed Soarin last year, the crowds were more than I expected and the family chose TT over Soarin. Stand in line for Soarin, then ride Living with the Land. Since I'm alone, I think I'll skip the Seas. Walk across to TT and enjoy the benefits of the single rider line. Browse through Mouse Gears, stop in Cool Club, visit Figment. Hopefully, I could schedule my time so that I would be World Showcase as close as possible to opening time. I want to spend the biggest part of the day just wandering, exploring the countries. Start in Canada - watch the film for the first time. I'm not even sure what shops are in Canada, we've only been to Le Cellier and the outpost type shops. Then, wander in UK shops. Pick up lunch in France, maybe catch the French film. Also, I want to make sure I have the times for fife and drums, voices of liberty and AA - I want to catch all of it together. So, if I have to adjust my wanderings in France, Morocco and Japan accordingly, I will and can back track. Also, usually by the time we arrive in Germany, the adults are exhausted and we find a bench for a rest while the kids look at the trains for 30 minutes. I'm hoping I will have some energy to explore the shops in Germany. It seems like we always have time to explore China, Norway (my kids' favorite) and Mexico, so I can gauge the amount of time I spend in each with how much time I have left. Of course, even in dreamland, no way would I stay the entire day into the evening and be able to enjoy Illuminations, so as I exit World Showcase, I may check single rider line time at TT, but my last experience would be a ride on SE. Maybe a Mickey bar if I have room, but I expect I will be snacking around the world a bit during the day with the requisite Grand Marnier Slushie in France.
So, that would be my day. I have visions of just taking my time, wandering, enjoying the day. Of course, chances of me getting away to Disney without my kids are slim to none. And, looking at the cost of 3 one day tickets (yeah, I'm leaving Mr. "Disney'd out" Grouchy out of even my fantasy plans), would probably be too cost prohibitive. (I am way too frugal to buy extra park tickets when we would have unused paid Universal tickets laying around). And, I really value my family time way too much to be selfish and disappear on my own for a day. So, this really is just fantasy ... but I think I will allow myself to keep dreaming (and, if everyone else wants to go to a waterpark for a day...maybe that dream could become a little closer to reality....).

BellesRose
01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
That sounds great! I think I would definitely try to make it happen.

My family is not into Disney that much, but if I had one day to myself, I would probably go to Epcot and spend a couple of hours in France. I usually get food there and take it to go. I think I would like to grab a table outside and really enjoy it. I would like to browse through all of the countries...something I've never done. I might do Spaceship Earth. I've only done it once and my family didn't like it, and I don't remember much about it. My eyes didn't want to focus and it was too dark to see anything. I also want to see Illuminations! My family always wants to leave before it gets dark and I am just dying to see it. Oh! And I heard that Belle and Beast are at Epcot in France! I have never met them, but that would just be the trip of a lifetime for me. That's about it for Epcot.
If I went to the Magic Kingdom, I would spend most of my time in Liberty Square. I would ride the Haunted Mansion a few times, and I would go very slow and let others ahead of me so I could enjoy everything. I would want to go spend some time in the Castle. Maybe do Tom Sawyer's Island or whatever it is called...there are a few things I haven't done there that my family wouldn't be interested in.
If I decided to go to Hollywood Studios, I would wait hours just to get front row (Or close enough) to see Beauty and the Beast. I would also spend an hour or so just walking around. I would try to be the first (and possibly only) person on the Great Movie Ride. I *think* that's about it, unless I decided to do something spur of the moment.
I wouldn't want to go to Animal Kingdom.
I would love to go Resort Hopping but it would get old fast.

GottaLvDisney
01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
That's a tough call for me - I LOVE MK, but I think if I was by myself I'd probably choose Epcot as well. I never get to explore the countries to the extent that I'd like b/c I always have DH or one of the kids complaining that they're tired, hot, hungry, etc... I'd love to meander through all the shops, snacking along the way and taking a break whenever just to soak in the atmosphere and log some people watching time.

Hmmm - what a lovely sounding day dream! :cloud9:

KatrinaJ91
01-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Your "dream" day sounds like what we always do at Epcot! My husband and I both LOVE to spend a relaxing day wandering through the countries. When we were there this past summer, we spent the morning hours riding Soarin, TT, The Land, and checking out a few other items there. We headed to World Showcase around noon and spent the entire rest of the day taking everything in. We bought food and drinks at most of the countries and shared our goodies so we could eat at several of the countries. We did all of the movies, caught Off KIlter for the first time (loved them!) and just enjoyed our time there. No rushing around....it was fabulous! We sat on a bench in the UK with a couple of pints for about an hour just people-watching. It was an amazing day and one that we will try to copy as much as possible!! :cloud9:

BluewaterBrad
01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Nothing is better than a wild morning in Future World and a relaxing afternoon/evening at World Showcase!!:mickey:

crltkcagle
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
If we only had one day it would be at MK. We would be there way before rope drop and wouldn't leave until park closing!

LudwigVonDrake
01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Magic Kingdom and ride my favorite rides all day long :mickey:

beksy
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
At first I thought that I would definitely choose MK (and if I only had one day this is the one I would still choose) BUT...if I could have a day to myself during a longer trip it would probably be in Epcot. I love to take pictures and wander the WS but we always seem to be short on time and running through it to get to an ADR. So I would get there for opening and plan to just devote my day looking in shops, snacking around the world, and taking pictures. Of course I would have to do the rides in Mexico and Norway and I might finally get to eat in Germany! Right now I would just settle for a trip in the planning stages :cloud9:

PrettyMinnie
01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I would say Epcot as well. Although MK is a must do with kids, I think I would get a little bored by myself, I just don't think it will be as magical by yourself.

waymickey
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
For me I would spend it at MK. From the rope drop until they kicked me out. I just love the magic kingdom. The magic seems to cover the entire park. :mjump::tigger:

tinkerbellfan246
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
ah, this is hard. My family and I both LOVE Magic Kingdom and Epcot, soo... I guess we would probably choose Magic Kingdom, just because we kind of feel like its where all the Disney magic really begins :mickey:

PopPhan
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I agree with Epcot as your choice and would add that access to the Boardwalk area from International Gateway gives even more options for places to explore. (As if there weren't enough things to keep you busy just in Future World and World Showcase!! LOL)