PDA

View Full Version : For Fantasmic Dinner...

lettripp
01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
We are trying to decide where to eat in Disney Studios so we can do the Fantasmic dinner package/priority seating thing. We've never done it and are curious!

Which restaurant would you recommend for this package?

KylesMom
01-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Our family highly recommends Mama Melrose. We've been doing the Fantasmic! package here for years and really enjoy the food and ambiance. Not having to wait in the line to get into the amphitheater is a HUGE plus for us, too! :mickey:

faline
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Brown Derby would be my first pick. We've had some good meals at Mama Melrose but, at least one, was less than stellar.

CleveRocks
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
It depends what you want. They are 3 very different restaurants.

Hollywood & Vine is a buffet.

Brown Derby is the most expensive, but also the closest to fine dining of the three.

Mama Melrose's. Hmm. What can I say about it. Whether you'll like it or not depends on what part of CT you're from. If you live in an area with many family owned-and-operated Italian restaurants, then Mama Melrose's will probably disappoint you ... it's the Disney version of a family-owned Italian restaurant. However, if you think that Olive Garden and Carrabba's are "good" Italian food, then you will think Mama Melrose's is even better than those.

mom2morgan
01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
How does the seating work? Is it all in one reserved area, or do the people who eat at the Brown Derby (and pay a lot more) get better seats? If the question sounds strange, it is because I was at DLR this summer to see their "World of Color" and the package seating was in different "tiers" depending on where you ate.

KylesMom
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
All Fantasmic! package seating is on the right-hand side of the amphitheater when you are facing the stage.

You need to arrive at the entrance near BatB about an hour before the show is slated to start. However, there is no "tiered" seating. First come, first served with the package reserved area seating.

mom2morgan
01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
All Fantasmic! package seating is on the right-hand side of the amphitheater when you are facing the stage.

You need to arrive at the entrance near BatB about an hour before the show is slated to start. However, there is no "tiered" seating. First come, first served with the package reserved area seating.

An HOUR?! That hardly seems like it would shave off any time at all, other than in a really busy season.

renecat
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
We were there in Oct. and the night we wanted to do Fantasmic we were heading there about 1 and 1/2 before the show and we were being told standing room only. We decided not to go so we went into a shop to look around. When we came out we heard Fantasmic was full. It has gotten harder to see since they don't do a show every night.

KylesMom
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
An HOUR?! That hardly seems like it would shave off any time at all, other than in a really busy season.
As renecat pointed out, now that Fantasmic is being shown on select nights versus every evening, it's consistently playing to SRO crowds. It's not unusual to see lines starting to form in excess of two hours before the official show time without the package.

For us, it's absolutely worth it to have a nice dinner, do some shopping, catch a show or attraction & then head in. By the time you choose your seat, grab a beverage or a snack & do the wave a few times, the show is ready to start.

whitney37354
01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
We ate at Mama Melrose & it was like Olive Garden, which we enjoy!

We got to F! early even with the "golden ticket" to get a good seat in the reserved section. This gave us time to get refreshments & talk to those around us. We had a good time. The wait for a bus back to the resort, not so much!

lettripp
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
It depends what you want. They are 3 very different restaurants.

Hollywood & Vine is a buffet.

Brown Derby is the most expensive, but also the closest to fine dining of the three.

Mama Melrose's. Hmm. What can I say about it. Whether you'll like it or not depends on what part of CT you're from. If you live in an area with many family owned-and-operated Italian restaurants, then Mama Melrose's will probably disappoint you ... it's the Disney version of a family-owned Italian restaurant. However, if you think that Olive Garden and Carrabba's are "good" Italian food, then you will think Mama Melrose's is even better than those.

Good to know... Mama's is now officially off our list. We live close enough to NYC that our favorite restaurant is owned, run and made-amazing by off-the-boat Italians. Thank you!

lettripp
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Brown Derby would be my first pick. We've had some good meals at Mama Melrose but, at least one, was less than stellar.

Is Brown Derby worth the price? It was our first choice originally and then we started to reconsider... I know that Disney Studios tends to have less-than-superior food compared to other parks so we are really looking for the best we can get there...

crltkcagle
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
We highly recommend Mama Melrose! My family loves it and eat there every trip!

faline
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Is Brown Derby worth the price? It was our first choice originally and then we started to reconsider... I know that Disney Studios tends to have less-than-superior food compared to other parks so we are really looking for the best we can get there...

To date, we've never had a bad meal at this location and, to us, it is worth the price. We also greatly enjoy the ambience here.

lettripp
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
To date, we've never had a bad meal at this location and, to us, it is worth the price. We also greatly enjoy the ambience here.

You've convinced me :-)

Thank you Faline!

mom2morgan
01-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks to Kylesmom and renecat for the information! I hadn't realized how much things had changed since the last time I saw Fantasmic!