PDA

View Full Version : Fondant

GA girl
01-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I am looking for an easy recipe for fondant. I found a marshmellow fondant recipe but have not tried it yet. I want something that is easy to make and easy to work with.
I want to make a birthday cake for my daughters 17th birthday.

Disney Hungarian
01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Found this 10 minute recipe for you. Hope it helps

Ingredients

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar

Directions

In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

Hair_Razor
01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Fondant is easiest when you buy it pre-made. You can get it at Micheals and just add Vanilla for flavour. If you've never used it before I suggest doing a trial run with it and get a good Fondant roller and mat. :cake: Good Luck!

Disney Hungarian
01-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Some tips and tricks too:

Make sure the cake is very chilled. Spread a very thin layer of buttercreme frosting on cake to make it easier to position and spread the fondant.

Dulcee
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
If you don't buy ready made I highly suggest using a recipe with glycerin in it. You can buy glycerin at most craft and baking stores. I've found that those versions roll out smoother and tend to hold up better to being manipulated.

princessjojo
01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Buying the pre-made is much much easier. However, it is still difficult to flavor and does take some work to get it to spread evenly throughout. It taste awful without.

TheDuckRocks
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Take a look at Wilton's website a few months ago, when my granddaughter and I were taking cake decorating classes together, I noticed they had quite a few available.

Magic Smiles
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Buying the pre-made is much much easier. However, it is still difficult to flavor and does take some work to get it to spread evenly throughout. It taste awful without.
I never realized that you could flavour the fondant. I don't usually decorate with fondant as it is a waste of my time and money as I would always peel it off and toss it into the garbage once my piece of cake was cut. I always made sure that I had a thick layer of buttercream underneath to eat.
May just have to try it again with added flavouring.

Dulcee
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
May just have to try it again with added flavouring.

If you make it yourself and flavor it, it can actually be quite good. Just keep the fondant as thin as you can while still being able to successfully work with it. Even flavored, thick heavy fondant leaves much to be desired.

GA girl
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I just made up a small batch of Rolled Marshmellow Fondant. I found the recipe on the Wilton web site. Super easy to make, but very sticky to start out. All there is in it is mini marshmellows, a little water and powdered sugar. It does not taste bad, but I think I will add vanilla or almond extract when I make it for the cake.
It is chilling in the fridge now, hopefully it will roll out good for me tomorrow. I did use my Mickey cookie cutter to try out a sample shape :mickey:

TikiGoddess
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I have been using marshmallow fondants for years. It's a little labor intensive but tastes so much better than the store bought kind.

Here's the easy recipe:
1. Grease a large bowl with Crisco. Pour one and a half bags of mini marshmallows (15 oz total) in. Put in one tbsp of water and one tsp of vanilla.
2. Melt marshmallows in microwave for about 30 sec. Check to see if they are melted, if not, do 30 more sec.
3. When melted, pour one box (approx 4 cups) of confectioner's sugar into the bowl (sifted if possible). Mix with greased Crisco spoon.
4. Take second box of confect sugar and mix in gradually, using well-greased hands to knead sugar in. I usually end up using about 3 cups of sugar from that box. You know you're finished when the fondant is not sticky.
5. Roll fondant out on a pie mat sprinkled with corn starch.

I recommend making fondant on the day that you are rolling it out. It is much more pliable. If you let it sit, it does harden and you have to knead it to get the elasticity back. If you do have to store it, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in a sealable bag. Do not refrigerate it -- cold is not a friend to fondant!

If you have any other questions let me know. I'll be glad to help!

Kathy

Magic Smiles
01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I have been using marshmallow fondants for years. It's a little labor intensive but tastes so much better than the store bought kind.

Here's the easy recipe:
1. Grease a large bowl with Crisco.

Kathy

Major SUGAR RUSH! :tasty: :faint:

I do have a few questions if you don't mind :D;
How much Crisco approx would you use?
How big does the bowl needs to be, as there seems like a lot is going into it.
How much fondant does this recipes make? For example how many 8 inch round cakes would a batch cover, approximately?
How many calories in each bite? Just kidding ;)

I love the look of fondant, but do not enjoy the taste, so if I could find a great tasting recipe then that would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

GA girl
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I just finished decorating the cake. I made them yesterday and did a crumb coat. I covered with fondant today. I used the marshmellow fondant recipe above. I used a KitchenAid mixer with a 5 quart mixing bowl for most of the mixing and then finished out the kneading by hand.
I covered a 2 layer 8 inch cake and a 1 layer 6 inch cake and had plenty left over for ribbons, bows and little curly things. I also made a bunch of little gumball sized fondant balls to go around the bottom and to hide all of the imperfections where the 2 tiers go together.
The cake is butter cake with a chocolate ganauche filling. I put almond extract in the fondant because I did not have and clear vanilla extract.
Hopefully it will taste ok. I think that it turned out ok for my first fondant cake.

TikiGoddess
01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
How much Crisco approx would you use?
Enough to grease the bowl well. I usually buy the sticks, take the wrapper off of one end, and run it around the entire bowl a few times.

How big does the bowl needs to be, as there seems like a lot is going into it.
I use the biggest bowl from a glass Pyrex set. It still fits in my microwave.

How much fondant does this recipes make? For example how many 8 inch round cakes would a batch cover, approximately?
I have used this recipe to cover a two tier cake (9 in bottom, 6 in top) and had plenty left over for decorations.

Hmm. Now you've got me thinking. My daughters birthday is coming up and she wants a Pokemon cake. Time to start planning!

Kathy