PDA

View Full Version : Trading old tickets for credit

Allenfow98
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
we have some old tickets from before the MYW tickets came along. They still have days left, so we were wondering if we could get credit towards our new tickets when we purchase them.

paragon
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
If I am not mistaken, as long as those tickets do not expire, then I would assume you could just use them, and purchase the additional tickets needed. I once used the old paper tickets, which they date stamped each day of use, and they did not expire, and I used them over multiple years. I have it in my hand right now, the first use date was FEB1980, the last date was Sept 1982. There were only two parks then, its a three day ticket, face value $36.00!!!!

DizneyRox
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I think the current policy is, used tickets will get you "credit" for the number of days, so if you have two days left, and need a five days ticket, you would pay the difference between a current two day ticket and a current five day ticket.

Unused tickets are what you paid for them, so that 2 day ticket mentioned would only get you $36 dollars credit.

I'm pretty sure the above applies to all tickets, not just MYW. I'm not sure how they handle the park hopper option, etc. You MAY need to get that on the new tickets if it was built into the old one.

faline
01-04-2011, 05:52 PM
In many cases, it's a better value to use the old tickets as they are and not apply them to a new ticket.

CleveRocks
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Pre-Magic Your Way tickets that have been partially-used can be used for park admission, but they CAN'T be traded in for any credit and they can't be upgraded. If it is a totally unused ticket it can be used as credit towards a new ticket, but you'd be given credit for the original purchase price and not for the current gate price.

But, to repeat, if you used the ticket in the past and have some days still remaining on it, you can't upgrade or add to the ticket in any way, and you can't get any credit for it towards a new ticket.

So if you have 2 days left on an old ticket, you can use that ticket for 2 days of park admission, but you can't trade it in for a "bigger" ticket, you can't trade it in for any value towards a new ticket, you can't upgrade it to include additional days ... you get the picture.

I'm not guessing, I'm not assuming, this is Disney policy.

CleveRocks
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Depending on how many days are left on the old ticket and how many park days you will need for this vacation, it might not be worth it to use those old tickets at all ... it might be worth it to leave them home in a drawer.

Let's say you have 2 days left on an old ticket. If you will be going to Disney parks for 1 or 2 or 3 days, then it will make good financial sense to use that old ticket.

But if you are going to Disney parks for 4 through 10 days, it will make NO SENSE to use that old ticket. The reason is that a 4th day on a multi-day ticket costs only $8, and the 5th through 10th days cost only $5 each.

So let's say you need 6 park days. If you buy a 6-day ticket it will cost you $242. If you buy a 4--day ticket and use your old 2-day ticket, that 4-day ticket will cost you $232. In other words, you will have gotten only $10 in value for those old tickets. TEN DOLLARS. In such a case, much better to keep that old ticket at home ... you never know, there may be a time in the future when you'll be going to Disney parks for only 1 or 2 or 3 days, and you can use that ticket then.

brownie
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd just use the tickets rather than trying to apply it towards credit on new tickets.

Not2Loud
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree, use the tickets on days when you know you are just going to one park.

Heck, I even have some ticket books from the 70's I found at my grandparents house!

DisneyFr33k
01-06-2011, 05:43 AM
We have tickets left from our honeymoon in 1993 - back when they were called "super passes" and AK was not open. We bought a 4 day super pass and only used 2. When I called to see how to use them, they can only be used for the parks that existed then.

CleveRocks
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
When I called to see how to use them, they can only be used for the parks that existed then.
This is a popular rumor (even with Disney call center employees, evidently!) but it's untrue. The person on the phone gave you incorrect information.

According to a 100% reliable source -- a current ticket booth cast member -- any old ticket is good for any of the four theme parks, regardless if that park was in existence when the ticket was originally purchased.

PETE FROM NYC
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I did it in 9/09.
I had a load of old partially used tickets, some from when there were two parks, some when there were three parks. We took the tickets to Guest Relations, and got full credit for all
un-used days, all good for all four parks.

I still have in my possession a pair of brand new un-used gold commerative tickets, complete with the black envelopes they came in. These were purchased one year before MGM Studios opened. I was told by a cast member that they could become collectors items.
Original purchase price: $100 each.

CleveRocks
01-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I did it in 9/09.
I had a load of old partially used tickets, some from when there were two parks, some when there were three parks. We took the tickets to Guest Relations, and got full credit for all
un-used days, all good for all four parks.

Just to clarify, what do you men when you say you got "full credit"? Do you mean you go to tuse the admissions? Or do you mean you got cash credit towards the purchase of a newer bigger ticket.

I'm assuming it's the former and not the latter.

PETE FROM NYC
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
DW and I each traded 9 days of the old ticket media, for 9 days of new tickets. Our old tickets were non-expiring, park hoppers as were all multi-days tickets back in the good old days before corporate greed took over.

CleveRocks
01-08-2011, 06:45 AM
DW and I each traded 9 days of the old ticket media, for 9 days of new tickets. Our old tickets were non-expiring, park hoppers as were all multi-days tickets back in the good old days before corporate greed took over.This makes perfect sense. You got your old tickets changed into "modern" tickets that can be read by the automated turnstiles, etc. I just want to clarify for everyone else reading this that your old tickets were still good for admission, but that you DIDN'T get credit for your old tickets toward the purchase of new tickets ... you simply got your existing tickets "modernized" so that they could be used by you without the inconvenience of having to go to Guest Services to get your old ticket appproved each time you wanted to enter a park.