PDA

View Full Version : Hearing aids?

GA girl
01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
About 10 months ago I got an ear infection that caused me to lose about 50% hearing in one ear. The Dr. said I was a candidate for a hearing aid. I really did not want to get one. Now that almost a year has passed I am beginning to change my mind.
So what should I look for in a hearing aid?
My insurance does not cover anything on hearing aids. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I have looked at ads for Beltone and Miracle Ear but have not made an appointment yet. My ENT also has hearing aids available thru them.

SD Price
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Dear Ga Girl,

My son was born with a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss and we had him in hearing aids by 9 mos.

Our case sounds more severe than yours, but I would be hard pressed to not go with the professional audiologists regardless. We were able to consult with them when we needed to and we felt that the professionalism and knowledge they gave us through their education and medical care fit our situation better than a retail sales organization was able to provide.

My son received regular screenings and adjustment and he received hearing and speech therapy when needed. His hearing further degraded and he now hears with a cochlear implant. Under the care of our ENT and our audiologists, our son is now mainstreamed into school. We couldn't have received that care, maybe even recognized those problems, through a retail establishment.

SD Price

Dznygrl79
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
When you find an audiologist to fit you, look for comfort. It will do you no good if it is to uncomfortable to wear it. Part of the problems I have encountered are I have an oddly shaped ear so the ones that fit in the ear only do me no good. I still have over the ear and audio box styles. Also if this is going to be out of pocket look at the warrenties closely. They are a big but important investment. Good luck.

thrillme
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
It's all going to depend on how much money you have to spend on it. "Care Credit" is sort of a medical designed credit card that gives you 3-12 months to pay off a specific balance without interest. Do NOT buy anything that you "see on TV" it is ALLLLLLL junk! and they fit like total garbage. Invest the money and buy something from a reputable audiologist.

If you have ANY type of health insurance be sure to have the agent you choose double check to be certian nothing is available. Even though your insurance may not openly cover it they still "may" provide something considering you lost your hearing due to an illness WHILE insured and that it wasn't preexisting or age related degeneration. It may be covered as part of rehabilition. Depending on your income level you "may" qualify for some "rehab" assistance (unfortunately even at my lowest salary this level was ridiculously low).

It's not going to be cheap BUT this is an investment in better hearing. You want something that digital and multi-channel (not plain analog). Digital will amplify sound and make it sound close to normal. It should also be "programmable". This will avoid the annoying "tinny" sounds. These tinny sounds can cause you to jump out of your skin everytime someone does the dishes.

I also vote for the CIC (completely in the canal) this one sets just inside the canal but not easily visible. It's rare that anyone ever notices it. There is a newer one that sits VERY deep in the canal (the smaller they are the less powerful but it may be "enough" for your needs...my hearing loss is a little worse than yours) however these tend to be rather expensive (when I looked into it they were about $4000-7000 depending on special circuits)...but it should allow you to wear earbuds.

I'm personally VERY self-consciences about my aids. I could NEVER go for the "full shell" that fills the ear. I'm also not comfortable with any "behind the ear" types. BUT...there is a BTE that is supposed to be "ultra-light" and comfortable. A friend of mine's wife bought one of these and seems quite happy with it. This post is going to be long enough without me explaining why I don't like BTE's...but it's all about what YOU are comfortable with.

You will expect to pay between $1000-3000 for an aid. Don't be afraid to "negotiate". "Audible" is a great brand but expensive. "Starkey" is a VERY comparable brand but often more "negotiable". Many audiologists can knock the price of the aid down 30-50% of the suggested cost with discounts and rebates, a few twists from insurance and special offers.

Ask too about "warranty". You should be good for 2-3 years if ANYTHING goes wrong which will include the fit as well as any circuits. Some companies will also include "damage insurance" in case the cat eats it (yes it's happened twice to mine...I didn't have insurance and it cost about $200 to have a new casing made...FYI cats LOVE hearing aids better than mice :ccat:fortunately for me they just play and spit it out). You home insurance policy may also cover it but I find the long term "collective" cost to be more than buying a new aid.

You should be able to return to the audiologist as many times as necessary to "adjust" the tone levels (the more channels you have the better the "natural" sound). YOU WILL NEED MULTIPLE ADJUSTMENTS TO GET IT SOUNDING COMFORTABLE...you should NOT have to pay for these. The audiologist should be able to fit it well the first time. They will custom fit your ear for this.

Also "I" prefer having one with at least 3 or 4 "setting" capability. That way when you're in a noisy setting you can filter out noise but in a quieter setting you can bring it all in.

I haven't tried "Costco" but I know at one time they had a hearing lab. Just be sure of the product you're getting.

Remember a hearing aid will never replace "natural" hearing...they have a new type of hearing aid that requires surgery (not the same as a cochlar implant...something totally different)...I would avoid that right now. I would HIGHLY recommend a regular hearing aid first. Do remember the hearing aid is NOT going to be an answer to all problems but it will help a LOT.

GA girl
01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks so much for the replys.

The information I received from the audiologist includes the exam, follow up visits, warranty, loss and damage and a battery club. They are Oticon. The prices start around $1,700 up to 3,500. I have learned in the past that you get what you pay for so I know it is not going to be cheap.

Does the hearing aid help with tinnitus? The ringing is making me nuts.

I am mostly just needing the hearing aid for work. My boss likes to tell me things while I am on the phone with my good ear covered up. Then he gets mad when I don't hear him!

TheDuckRocks
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I have had my Oticon hearing aids for about 4 months now and am very happy with them. I chose not to go with the in canal type, even though for vanity I went in thinking they were what I wanted. I'm glad I went with the BTE type as the only discomfort I ever experience is sometimes from the bud in the ear canal. Our health insurance provided no coverage at all because my hearing loss is from oldageitis.

thrillme
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Hearing aids should give you some relief from Tinnitus. You should visit a regular doctor to see if it's being caused from diabeties or blood pressure or fluid. I've found I can settle it down a bit by plugging my ears and just staying completely quiet for a little while.

BUT hearing aid(s) should help. Sounds like you're on the right track.

BellesRose
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
It sounds like most hearing aids are $1000 to $3000, which is actually a good deal in my opinion. Right now, my great-grandma has been dealing with her hearing aids not working properly for months. She got them from Sears, and I think it's because she could put it on a Sears card. She wants them to fix it once and for all, or credit the $5000 she paid back to her card.

LVT
01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
30 years 2 BTE aids. Oticon have been good for me. Overall for me:
1.Use audiologist, not retail stores.
2.Last about 5 years.
3.Insurance seldom deals with them, or more commonly has such a low coverage as to be insulting. My aids run >$1,000 each and insurance was for $300.
4. I used to get infections, this seldom happens now. I use swimmer's ear drops. If I do get in trouble I can add other drops, ie acidic seems to be helpful.
5. Caution on rough rides. I have nearly lost one. I caught it, to my amazement. Now I take them off and carry them in a tiny secure container for rides.
6. It will take time to adjust, just like glasses.
Best of luck