PDA

View Full Version : Cold or wet weather affect attractions?

NokOnHarts
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Going in January (10 days to go!) and weather looks like it may be cold or wet/rain certain days. Do cold temps or real rainy days affect any of the attractions i.e., outdoor rides, or rides at AK (like the safari)? I've only gone in late Spring so not used to ify weather and what it might mean for the trip.

Thanks!

forever a child
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
We were at MK & Epcot during nights of freeze warnings and everything was running as normal. We were just cold but still had a great time. We took long johns and wore them under our pants and had hats, gloves, scarves. Also took those little packets that heat up...got them at walgreens for $.99 a pair. They really helped to keep us warm throughout the day too.

Just plan accordingly as you get closer to your arrival date. One of the bonuses of cold or wet weather is if you can handle it...and stay in the parks..not too many other people will, so you get a lot of the park to yourselves! We have had more fun during these times and I remember them as great visits!:mickey:

Buttercup
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
The only time I've seen rides close due to the weather was years ago, when a large summer thunderstorm was headed to WDW -- we were in the lineup for Thunder Mountain. They made an announcement that at any time, they might shut down the ride (I'm guessing in case of lightning). It was pouring rain but the ride just kept on going! :mickey:
I don't know about the safari but my guess is, unless there's lightning there as well and the safety of guests is at risk, the animals are probably used to the weather and the ride will go on normally!

Strmchsr
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Cold does impact some of the water rides. Things like KRR won't open if it's below a certain temp. The water parks are the same. Rain does not impact anything unless it's particularly heavy or if there's lightning.

Just a note - 10 days to go, there's no way to tell what the weather will be like when you go. No forecast is accurate beyond 7 days so things may change for you. That said, I do think the latter half of the month may go back to being colder.

WDWdriver
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Most rides continue to operate in bad weather. The major exception is outdoor rides when there is lightning in the area. Expedition Everest will shut down if there are lightning strikes within six miles. Oddly enough, Kilimanjaro Safaris continues to operate even in thunderstorms.

Ian
01-04-2011, 08:03 AM
It depends what you mean by "affect." ;)

For example, on our last trip it was cold. I really wanted to ride Test Track, but I wasn't about to get on a ride that essentially would have involved going 65 mph in 40º temperatures in a convertible!

We took a pass on that. Did ride Splash Mountain, though ... but they had all the water effects turned off so we stayed completely dry.

lovinmesomedisney
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
It depends what you mean by "affect." ;)

For example, on our last trip it was cold. I really wanted to ride Test Track, but I wasn't about to get on a ride that essentially would have involved going 65 mph in 40º temperatures in a convertible!

We took a pass on that. Did ride Splash Mountain, though ... but they had all the water effects turned off so we stayed completely dry.

I would LOVE to ride Splash without getting wet. They could do that all summer for me. I can not stand walking around in wet clothes. :mickey:

Ian
01-04-2011, 10:41 AM
I would LOVE to ride Splash without getting wet. They could do that all summer for me. I can not stand walking around in wet clothes. :mickey:Same here. That's actually why I got on it (I typically don't ride it). :thumbsup:

Matt's Dad
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
One other affect on the rides ... the lines!!!!

One of our best days at Disney was during a pretty good rain patch. Rides stayed open, but many guests headed for the exits and the restraunts. Break out the ponchos, and get access to most rides with little to no wait. And really, how different is Pirates of the Carribean in the rain?????

Go with the right attitude, the right supplies, and enjoy!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't think cold affects rides in parks, but I think the water parks do refurbs in the winter

Scar
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I thought Test Track closed in heavy rain, but could be wrong.

Victor Kelly
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
First the cold: Will put a damper on night shows anywhere. It will also close the swimming locations like blizzard beach and typhoon lagood.

The wet: affects outdoor attractions like Big Thunder mountain, Swiss Family Tree house, Dumbo and things like that. Lightening will shut down all exterior attractions until the storm has cleared the area. All outside shows are cancelled. Even if the rain subsides before the showtime (this happened to us with Fantasmic in October).

The parades are usually cancelled during rain as are fireworks.

Pack warm clothing because it is cold in the morning and at night.

crltkcagle
01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
This has been my experience:

MK- Dumbo and Aladdin close when its lighting. Speedway and Jungle Cruise closes when raining.

MGM- this is the worst park to be in when it rains. Indiana Jones show, Lights Motor Cars Action, Backlot Tour, and Beauty and the Beast show all close when its raining.

Epcot- Test Track closes when lighting

AK- The dinoland rides close when its raining.

mimi78
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
We are going later this week for the long weekend and this is what I’m worried about! Luckily it doesn’t look to be too cold but definitely much cooler than when we are used to visiting!

How do people usually handle the cool weather at Disney? Is it better to layer up (do you get warmer the more you walk around the parks) or just bring a jacket at all times? Is Florida 60’s still shorts and capris weather or are pants a safer bet? Maybe it’s because I’m from NY and we just keep getting slammed with freezing cold and snow, but I am really stumped about what to pack!

Thanks!