PDA

View Full Version : Stand by lines...NOT FOR ME!!!

Imagineer1981
01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't know about most of you, but I hardly ever use stand by lines anymore. Unless the line says 10 minutes or less I use FP for everything and still seem to be able to do everything I want to do in a given day. I really almost dread getting into a stand by line when it says 20+ minutes. Does anyone else almost only use the FP lines

Hair_Razor
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I totally agree!

epceddie
01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't stand in line for ANYTHING if I can avoid it. I read in one of the other discussion forums that the standby wait for Soarin' was over four hours on New Year's Eve. For a 3-minute ride? Are you kidding me?
I have no problem waiting 10-15 minutes for a ride, but it the wait is longer, I'll gladly grab a Fast Pass and come back later.
My wife and I spend a lot of time at the MK and Epcot. We're not big fans of the AK or DHS. We get to the parks early (we love riding Buzz Lightyear five or six times in a row with no wait at all after the rope drop), we hit the rides that we like, and we spend a lot of time people watching, which we both enjoy.
Fast Passes are a real blessing and they help us enjoy the parks even more.

SBETigg
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I'll get in line for standby. I have no problem with it. The lines are usually short and they move fast. I use FP too, but what do you do between Fastpasses? That's when we ride Standby, the times between FPs, when we're holding one and have some wait time before it's valid or some time between getting one FP and being able to get another.

kakn7294
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
If the standby lines are 30 min or less, then I'm fine with that, especially if the FP return time is quite a while later. I don't want to waste time running all over the park to get FPs just to save time standing in line. I don't think it accomplishes anything to to that.

PrettyMinnie
01-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't mind waiting for standby either. I agree with other posters that when the line is 30 minutes, or maybe even a little more, I don't mind. I know everyone is different though.

eandrsmom
01-04-2011, 06:39 AM
I don't mind standby as long as the wait is 25 minutes or less. A lot of times, when 25 minutes is posted, I have found the wait to be shorter. I won't wait any longer then that, my 3 and 6 year old kids begin to lose patience with anything longer. I do agree with the previous post, I do standby in between FP times, in order to see as much as possible.

paragon
01-04-2011, 07:45 AM
We usually travel with another family, so there are six of us, the two youngest are now 6 & 8. So, on the bigger rides, we most often get our own boat, log, or train car. If the posted time is 20 minutes or less, stand by isn't an issue. The little ones can tend to become restless though if its any longer, and nobody ever seems to realize, that for someone only 2 1/2ft tall, that can be pretty boring, I mean, who really wants to stare at strange peoples butts for more than ONE minute! Last trip, one of the kids got bored, decided to sit on the chains at POTC and sure enough, he flipped and whacked his head on the concrete! Luckily, he was ok, but thats the kind of things that happen while waiting in long lines. We often will also use the SINGLE RIDER lines, that speeds things up considerably too, if you don't mind splitting the group for the ride.

Ian
01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
ITA. We've been so much and go so frequently that there just isn't any ride I'm willing to stand in line that long for.

If the posted wait time is under 20 minutes we'll go standby (since that usually translates to an actual wait of maybe 10 minutes tops). Anymore than that and it's Fastpass or bust!

lovinmesomedisney
01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I am not into the waiting game either. We go every year, sometimes twice a year, this past year ended up three times. If I don't get on something, it's no big deal. I go at rope drop, so normally we will get on everything we want. We also have gone during off peak times, Jan, April, and September, so that helps. I am not into waiting. I don't care how neat the ques are, or are supposed to be, they aren't worth any more than a 10 minute wait. Honestly, we have been quite spoiled to where the majority of the time, we have gone all the way up to a loading area. This past September was rough on us, because it was actually very crowded. We went at rope drops and utilized our fast passes. The only way to fly for us!!!

buzznwoodysmom
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
We usually only get in line if the wait is around 20-25 minutes or less. Between that and FP we still manage to do everything we want in every park on every trip.

Victor Kelly
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
My wife and I frequently go to other amusement parks besides Disney. Our plan is always 20 minutes or less regardless of what type of ride it is. In Hershey Park, we will wait up to an hour for one of the new big coasters. but one ride is the limit.

For our Disney honeymoon we did not hit any attraction that had more than a 20 minute wait time. We utilized fastpass the best we could and managed to do a whole lot more than if we did not use FP.

The Disney plan was get FP for e-tickets then hit another e-ticket during the wait period, and usually we had time to take in a standard attraction, have a snack, shop, or just plain out people watch, or all of the above.

FP is a very good idea, but sometimes depending on the attraction, it hampers more than it helps. Overall it works if you let it work for you.

Scar
01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
If I walk into a bank and there are more than 4 or 5 people in line I walk out.

I'd wait 30 for Soarin' or TSM since the FP line can be that long anyway. I don't think I'd wait more than 20 for anything else though. Maybe IASW. ;)

Laughin' place
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Im sure our willingness to wait in lines has something to do with how often one goes and how recently one has been. For a first timer, infrequent visitor, or someone who hasnt been for a long time, perhaps a longer wait is more tolerable.
I havent been since summer 08, which is on the long time ago - side for my tastes. The way Im aching to be at WDW right now, Id LOVE to be standing in any sort of line

Imagineer1981
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Im sure our willingness to wait in lines has something to do with how often one goes and how recently one has been. For a first timer, infrequent visitor, or someone who hasnt been for a long time, perhaps a longer wait is more tolerable.
I havent been since summer 08, which is on the long time ago - side for my tastes. The way Im aching to be at WDW right now, Id LOVE to be standing in any sort of line

I know that feeling for sure

forever a child
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
When I visited Israel in 2006, I visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Our American group learned quickly that a lot of the people in the middle east do not "do" lines. They just move in however they can in front of people. We American's were "forming a line" and everyone else was just "cutting" in ahead of us and our line, LOL. We were very confused. I gave up visiting one of the spots in the church when these really old ladies kept cutting in in front of me.:unsure:

I can wait up to 30 minutes as long as I have a FP for longer wait lines. But it will usually be for something I really want to see. Otherwise we try to do the 20 minutes or less lines. It just all depends.

Goes4FastPass
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Some attractions are better than others.

I have been in standby at Mission:Space when as long as there was anyone ANYone in the FP line, the standby line didn't move even though there were very few of in the standby line.

But the whole FastPass routine of going ALL THE WAY to an attraction just to get a FP to actually ride later is it's own hassle.

crltkcagle
01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
My dh feels the same way. I don't mind waiting 30 minutes or so for a very good ride. however I will not wait 30 min for winnie the pooh or snow white.

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 10:19 PM
:ditto:

Dsnygirl
01-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I won't do a standby line for everything, but there are some that I definitely will do it for, even if I already have a FP... some rides I just enjoy so much that I'd like to ride twice, but they're so popular it's just not possible w/o FP'ing once and deciding to wait once.

Also -- there are some attractions that waiting is worth it, just a few times, to be able to enjoy the themeing of the queue. EE for example... we FP'd it so many times that when we finally decided to wait once, we realized all we'd missed in the queue, and now we wait every once in awhile, just to enjoy the exhibits, etc.

But some rides I will NEVER understand the lines for... like Dumbo and Snow White. They confuse the heck out of me! I'll wait for Pooh and Peter Pan, though, so maybe there are folks out there who think I'M crazy, and would never... yet wait for SW. ;)