PDA

View Full Version : Southern Caribbean - Excursion Suggestions Wanted

Magic Smiles
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
We are headed to the Southern Caribbean sailing from Puerto Rico in Feb and I am looking for suggestions for excursions.
We stop at St Thomas, USVI
Barbados
St Lucia, WI
St Kitts, WI
St Maartens, NA

I am looking for an amazing snorkeling experience for beginners. We did snorkeling last March in Grand Cayman and loved it. I am sure that I read somewhere that one of these stops has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, but can't find the name of the place now. We are not interested in doing beaches in St Maartens as they are clothing optional :blush: and traveling with 3 families with teenagers, it would just be to uncomfortable for us all. They can do that some other time on their own.
I would really like to see some of the islands and not just the shopping. I find it difficult to tell if an excursion is a great one or not from just reading the descriptions. Any comments on excursions welcomed. :thumbsup:

Hair_Razor
01-02-2011, 05:35 PM
You are foolish to skip out on the St. Maarten. The Dutch side is more modest and their beaches are the BEST I've ever been to!! We took our son during our last cruise and had no problems. Your cruise should offer a "Beach Break" option and will take you to a most likely private beach, we went to Mullet Bay (?). As for the snorkeling we did Cozumel so not sure for these islands. I would in St. Maarten though, just think the kids will have their heads in the water so they won't notice if someone is topless. :D

disney obsessed
01-02-2011, 06:50 PM
The beaches on the west end of St Thomas are beautiful and have great shore snorkeling. Saphirre Bay and Coki Beach are great for this.
Meagans bay is beautiful but no snorkeling. St John is spectacular. Less built up, very laid back. The underwater park is Trunk Bay.
My experience with Barbadoes is that the reef close to shore is dead. If you go snorkeling there, go with a group that will take you to the offshore reef.
Have fun!