PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Birthday question

Hair_Razor
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
We are going to Coral Reef for my son's birthday on the 10th. I have heard that they will have a scuba diver come down with a sign in the tank saying Happy Birthday. How do we make this happen, on our ressie I marked it was his birthday. Is that enough or do we need to call and does it cost more?

Strmchsr
01-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I believe, though I'm not 100% certain, that they discontinued that a couple of years ago. Call the WDW-Dine number to confirm that as I do know that you have to specifically call and request the diver before.

buzznwoodysmom
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I too think they quit doing this a while back. We had it done once, but you couldn't request it through the dining line. You had to call a specific person, at a seperate number, and leave a message. I no longer have that number.

Hair_Razor
01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
boo, thanks for the info. Are there any other cool Epcot places with fun Birthday surprises you would recommend instead? Or is i cool just the same?

Strmchsr
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
boo, thanks for the info. Are there any other cool Epcot places with fun Birthday surprises you would recommend instead? Or is i cool just the same?

Just note on the ADR the birthday and have your son wear his "It's my birthday" button that day. Usually any restaurant will bring out a little cupcake with a candle in it or decorate your table and lots of CMs will wish him happy birthday. There's not a dining place that does anything different for birthdays on the line of what used to be the diver at Coral Reef. If he really likes the water, though, you could always allow him to swim in the aquarium with the Aquaseas tour. My DS loved that tour at both ages 8 & 9. Now that he's scuba certified (age 10) he can't wait to do Divequest and be the one waving at everyone eating in the Coral Reef!

Hair_Razor
01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
ooh that's a cool idea, he might enjoy that! Yeah the birthday button has lead to many *Magical* Birthdays!!

Strmchsr
01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
ooh that's a cool idea, he might enjoy that!

The AquaSeas Tour is WELL worth the money. And you don't have to have any scuba experience to do it. You get about a 90 min backstage tour of the aquarium then they put you in a wetsuit and take you up top. They walk you through the lobby in your wetsuit so you get to be "onstage" in front of the guests. They hook you up with a snorkel vest (which is kind of like an inflatable life vest that makes it where you can't go more than a foot or so under the water. They also put on a system that is very similar to scuba with a breathing system and a mini-tank. So, you don't have to worry about water getting into your snorkel or surfacing. You can just swim around and enjoy all the sea life.