PDA

View Full Version : What is your Line Wait Tolerance?

DisneyGiant
12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Seeing all the tweets about line waits today, I was curious - who are those people that will wait more than 1 hour (30 minutes is my usual limit) for an attraction!?

C'mon - show yourselves ;) Share with us your reasons!

I really think you'd have to pay me to wait for more than an hour........

DisneyGiant
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Now to answer my own question - I once - yes ONCE waited about 2 hours for Toy Story Mania - but that was because it was a second visit to WDW that year (at Christmastime) and the visit was all about the decorations, not attractions.

We gave the kids the option of one ride - or more than one (not TSM) and they elected to wait.

As we were waiting, we actually met friends of friends - so it was kind of funny.

Right after that - it was on to Osbourne Lights - then dinner......

But that will probably be the ONLY time I ever wait more than an hour for an attraction!!!! :)

Gator
12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
On my first trip to WDW (summer), I stood in line for 1hour20min for RnRC, and an hour for Space Mountain. After that trip, I vowed never to wait that long again. I've been lucky enough to be able to go during slow seasons, and never wait more than 30 minutes for an attraction (other than waiting in line for the Candlelight Processional).

Basket Mommy
12-31-2010, 04:52 PM
The longest I have waited was 70 minutes, and that was the *one* time I have ridden Toy Story Mania. That was in 2008. We've been twice since then, and both times the wait was over 70 minutes and there were no Fastpasses. We were just there in late September; we got to DHS around 11 am and all FPs were GONE already!

forever a child
12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
For rides, it's only 30 minutes. But I answered 1 hour because for the Candlight Processional, Fantasmic and specialty events, I have no problem waiting an hour. I know some people state 2 or more hours for some of these things...but we have never had to wait that long so I guess we have choosen good times to go either on our trips or good park days or both.:thumbsup:

mom2morgan
12-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I have waited as long as 2 hours on one of my first couple of visits, in the belief that if I didn't get to do it NOW I'd never have another chance. I waited for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Soarin' that long for sure. But I will NEVER do that again, and have selected "under 30 or I'm out of there" because I've decided that life is too short, and Disney has too many other things to do :mickey: And on that note, I will NEVER visit during a super crowded time....Disneyland this July took care of that for me. (and I did wait 2 hours for Space because I'd heard it is so much better there because of the refub. It WAS...but no ride is truly worth waiting THAT long for)

MNNHFLTX
12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Once upon a time I lived in Central Florida and was able to go to WDW when the crowds were smaller (yes, that did happen!) So I got very spoiled with the shorter lines. Now I will hit the popular attractions up during EMH mornings and with fast passes, otherwise I can't stand to wait longer than 30 minutes or so.

moe513
12-31-2010, 05:42 PM
we try to wait no more than 50 min. we use fastpasses and try to get there at rope drop on the most popular rides.

PrettyMinnie
12-31-2010, 05:48 PM
I voted no more than an hour but honestly, it depends on the day and how badly I want on the ride. The way I see it, there is always next time. Of course, when I'm dying to get on the ride, then I guess there isn't a time limit. We usually have the attitude that it is WDW and there will always be lines. Might as well wait.

:minnie:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-31-2010, 05:49 PM
When my wife & I made our 1st trip to WDW at Christmas of 1985 we waited a minimum of an hour (and as much as 3 hrs) for everything.

25 yrs and 30+ trips later I flat refuse to waste more than 30 minutes waiting for anything. ;)

crltkcagle
12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
When I was younger my family would wait in line forever. NOw that I'm married and have three young children we don't wait anymore than 30 minutes. If there is a long wait we just get a fastpass and come back later.

JPL
12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
30-40 minutes is probably the longest I will wait unless of course I am with others willing to wait longer who don't go as often. I go so often that I figure if I miss it this trip I can always catch it next time :thumbsup:

mainemajor
12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I voted for 1 hour, but only for a couple of rides, Splash and Everest. Most of the time if it's more than 30-45 minutes I'll pass on it.

BellesRose
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I waited for about 30-40 minutes for my first time on Toy Story Mania. Not only did I think I was going to die in that line, I didn't think the ride was worth it. Just an FYI, the kids in front of me were VERY unruly and kept hitting us, running into us, etc...

Otherwise, it has to be under 30 minutes or I'll pass. The Haunted Mansion is the only ride worth waiting 30 minutes for, in my opinion.

Melanie
01-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Never in a million years would I wait 4 1/2 hours to get on Soarin' (like some were yesterday). I just don't get it! That said, I have waited a couple of hours to get on NEW rides, like when Test Track and Soarin' were new. Living close, my tolerance, much like Beth's, for standing in line has dwindled and I gladly bypass any lines over 30 minutes now.

wdwfansince75
01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
OK, I'm curious...if no one will wait more than an hour, who are all those people waiting more than an hour? In thinking back, since we usually go during the summer, and with the kids, kids in law, and grandkids, there have been many times when we just decided to tough it out, and wait in linel I have, on one trip or another, waited over an hour for: Space Mtn, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Mission Space, Soaring (longest wait ever...over 2 hours...thought it was worth the wait), Spceship Earth, Test Track, RnRC, Tower of Terror, Toy Story MM, Expedition Everest, K. Safari, and Kali River Rapids. Most of those long waits were pre-Fast Pass, or the first visit after they opened (or re-opened).
Knowing that life is too short, and stuff happens, I have treated each Disney World trip as if it may be my last...so I try to do it all every trip...and usually manage!

KylesMom
01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
OK, I'm curious...if no one will wait more than an hour, who are all those people waiting more than an hour? This question has come up in our family before . . . just speculation, of course, but we've always thought a majority of the folks who are willing to wait in the most ridiculous of lines were 1st time guests not staying on site & were unfamiliar with the FastPass system. I know, there is information all around, but that's what I usually attribute the dirty looks to when going through the FP line & bypassing the standby. It's surprising how many folks think you need to pay in some manner to have FP privileges.

For us, 20-30 minutes is the max. If there's an attraction we really want to hit, such as TSM or Soarin', we'll plan our morning around on that. Otherwise, we'll grab a FP, or if they're out, we'll walk on by. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I once waited 2 & 1/2 hours for rocket rods. I am a sucker when it comes to my DD.:mickey: However after her disappointment in RR she told me we would never wait that long again. Since I usually go off season its 20 minutes or less, fastpass or skip it. :mickey:

mom2morgan
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll agree about 1st time guests, but I don't know if they don't understand Fastpass. During busy times of the year, all the Fastpasses can be gone really early! In July we wanted to do Splash but the wait was over 2 hours. This was 1 in the afternoon, and the earliest Fast pass return time was 10:00! Shortly thereafter, they ran out entirely, so anyone arriving after 2 or so wouldn't even be able to get a Fast Pass - it would be wait in line, or skip it.

This question has come up in our family before . . . just speculation, of course, but we've always thought a majority of the folks who are willing to wait in the most ridiculous of lines were 1st time guests not staying on site & were unfamiliar with the FastPass system. I know, there is information all around, but that's what I usually attribute the dirty looks to when going through the FP line & bypassing the standby. It's surprising how many folks think you need to pay in some manner to have FP privileges.

For us, 20-30 minutes is the max. If there's an attraction we really want to hit, such as TSM or Soarin', we'll plan our morning around on that. Otherwise, we'll grab a FP, or if they're out, we'll walk on by. :mickey:

TheVBs
01-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Even waiting as long as 30 minutes is pushing it for us. There have only been two exceptions, the first was a 45 minute wait to meet Jack Sparrow, and the second was probably over an hour to meet the fairies.

DisFan01
01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
We usually only wait about 30 minutes maximum. Of course, in rare cases we can wait a long time - for example we waited 135 minutes for Toy Story Mania when it was very new.

JerseyDad
01-01-2011, 11:25 PM
......30 min wait is in my acceptable "tolerance zone".

....first time to WDW in Spring of 2004 (Easter Week)....I saw 2 hr-30 min waits for Test Track...and said to myself..."No Way"!!:nope:

....went back that same year (Jersey Week)...in Sept/Oct....and never waited more than 30 minutes for anything. At that point...I had found my preferential time to visit WDW...and set my "wait-time" limit to 30 min.

finaldynasty
01-02-2011, 04:07 AM
My philosophy is that I won't wait in a long line, because that's what fast passes are for. But if I had to for my own sanity and my kids I could not do more then an hour.

readytogo2
01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
30 minutes is about it for us we ve been enough times we know we ll make it later in our trip if not theres always another trip to plan

CanadianWDWFan
01-02-2011, 09:41 AM
30-40 minutes is probably the longest I will wait unless of course I am with others willing to wait longer who don't go as often. I go so often that I figure if I miss it this trip I can always catch it next time :thumbsup:
:ditto:
There is always next time or even the next day! Fastpass sure has helped out in reducing our wait times.

BigThunderFan
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
There are always exceptions I suppose, but since we learned how to make Fastpass and rope drop combos work for us we haven't waited more than 15 minutes for any ride. I can not fathom waiting 4+ hours for a ride like people had to this week! That is NOT a vacation for us, that is why we also plan around the busy times. :thumbsup:

Ian
01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
We go so often and have been so much in the past that there's just no ride I'm willing to wait more than like 20 minutes for. If the line is that long and I can't Fastpass it, then it will just have to wait until our next trip.

The only exception to that rule in recent memory was on this last trip with Soarin'. DS4 was finally tall enough to ride it, but by the time we got to Epcot all the FP's were gone.

Soooooooooo ... I went against all logic and reason and waited 50 minutes to get on. But it was worth it, because DS proclaimed it "his new favorite ride." :D

KennyandKim
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I think our longest wait were for the fairies. My DD although older wanted nothing more than to see Tinkerbell so we waited almost 2 hours. I don't think we have ever waited over an hour for a ride. it would depend on how bad we wanted to ride something though and what our other plans were. We have only gone twice before so we try to make the most of all our trips.

Hoping our Sept 2011 trip brings low crowds.

Minnie97
01-02-2011, 06:04 PM
An hour is my limit.
I hate lines.

Buttercup
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I chose "Up to one hour" but I'm thinking 45-50 minutes is probably the maximum for me.

hokies4life
01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
I went with up to 1 hour. We usually try to keep it around 30 min, but if a sign says 30 min and it takes longer we aren't just going to leave. Now if it said 30 and we had already waited 1 hour and we weren't near the front yet, we might be looking for a way out of line.

Mogie
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Ugh. 25 min max. Even then we will usually split up and go for single rider if it's available. Otherwise just fast pass and come back.

SBETigg
01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
It really depends on the ride and the time of year. There are some rides I am willing to wait longer for-- never more than an hour, but Fastpass saves on those waits most of the time. I prefer to Fastpass rides with longer waits or do single rider when that's available (like at Test Track, my family is willing to break into singles and it usually cuts down on wait). But for most rides, not more than 30 minutes, unless I was going during an especially busy time of year, and then maybe the 60 minutes depending. I haven't gone at a time when I've had more than 20-30 minute waits for most rides, and 40-60 minutes on a few. Soarin' is usually up there, but that's a FP or skip it ride for us.

brad192
01-03-2011, 04:04 PM
If it's a "must do" like HM, Splash, or Everest, I'll wait up to an hour if I have to. :wait: Usually though, I plan well enough to avoid more than a 30 minute wait - FP and tactical planning for the "biggies". :spy: The last time I waited over an hour was for Soarin' back in '08, and that was the Fastpass line!:faint:

I still don't understand the people who wait 90 minutes or more for a 3 minute ride on PP. Crazy...:crazy:

Granny Jill A
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
One hour is my limit ONLY if it's a new attraction. For the others, 30-40 min is tops for me.

I always try to get to the parks when they open to avoid those excruciating waits.

Brettracie
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
The only ride we will wait an hour or more for is Toy Story Mania. It's just too fun to pass by.

dumbo ears
01-05-2011, 03:11 AM
i will wait a hour for a attraction if im desperate to experience it but i usually never do. i try to plan my day accordingly so that i never wait longer then 30 min. i think a good plan is a great tool to avoiding long lines

DisneyDoug2
01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
I voted one hour but it really depends on the ride and how many days are left on our vacation.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
"No more than an hour". We have two children and the age difference is significant. My son 9 loves to go on the feature rides and I won't lie, I enjoy that one on one time with my boy. I love to have no distractions as I spend quality one on one time with him (as I feel he gets sad sometimes because of all the attention demanded by his 2 year old sister)and just walk through the lines laughing about anything. As much as I love that one on one time with my son, I also feel that it is not fair for my wife to wait more than an hour outside with my daughter (or vice versa with me waiting outside as my wife and son go on a ride). I figure an hour allows time to relax in the shade (if available), get a drink or snack, change a diaper, shop, etc.
I've waited longer, but if I don't have to, I won't.

brivers222
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
lol i always plan my trips during "slow" times so if its 30 or over I am not in line :)

For the Oct 2010 trip I decided I am going to tighten the rules... if it was over 15mins I wasn't going to ride it.

Surprisingly the only rides i did not get on the entire trip were Soarin' and TSM.

Kinda spoiled myself, but i just like being there and taking in all the sights. Waiting in the same queue for anything more than a half hour seems like a waste of my time... especially if it is a ride i have already been on.

I may make an exception to wait for TSM in dec.

Victor Kelly
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
30 minutes is the max for us regardless of where we are in Disney or any other amusement park.

Imagineer1981
01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I would have had 10 or less, that would have been my choice...lol

Mickey'sIrishPAl
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I would have had 10 or less, that would have been my choice...lol

LOL. That means that you would have to ride Figment's Imagination and TTA all day every day!!

finaldynasty
01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
LOL. That means that you would have to ride Figment's Imagination and TTA all day every day!!

Or C of P!!!!:mickey:

javamama
01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
we try to avoid the lines and go during the school year when kids are in school....then less wait times.

TikiGoddess
01-08-2011, 06:42 PM
We go to WDW in the summer during the busy season. But we hardly ever wait in a line more than 20 minutes. We get to the parks early, use a basic touring plan, and use Fastpass. With these strategies we get to ride pretty much everything we want without waiting in long lines. If we don't get to ride something, we know that we can do it next trip.

Kathy