PDA

View Full Version : OK, so what was the deal with the crowds?

dulyjs
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
The week before Christmas is supposed to be a good time to avoid the crowds that always show up Christmas week. But that was not the case this year. I mean I suppose it's good for business but it was unexpected. Are people catching on to the lighter times?

I suspect a lot of people were also taking advantage of the free dining plan.

Gator
12-30-2010, 12:05 PM
The crowds have definitely grown. A few friends of mine told me about the first few weeks of December as a great time to go. By the time I went with them (2006), they were shocked by all the crowds. By 2008, it was even more crowded. It's not as bad as summer, but it's definitely not small crowds anymore.

disneyboundagain
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
You are 100% correct. We have gone from 12/19 to 12/26 for 6 of the past 7 years. It has become increasingly more busy every year, to the point that last year we decided enough was enough. This year we decided to push our trip to the 2nd week of Feb.

Although, I have to admit, we REALLY missed DW this Christmas. We're already talking about switching back to Dec for 2011. Christmas at home just isn't the same, at least for us.

Dreamin' of Disney
12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Ditto! We went the first week of Dec this year and it was much busier than years past. 2004 was my first trip during the first week of Dec and it was fabulous. I went convinced my sister and a friend to go in 2005 and again....great. In fact at MVMCP we went into the haunted mansion and we were the only 3 people in the stretching room....we were the only 3 I even saw on the entire ride! :) Went again in 2006, 2008, and 2010 and it's progressively getting busier and busier. Yay for Disney....sad for me (crowd wise). The holidays are certainly worth celebrating at WDW!

Strmchsr
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
As others have noted, things have grown. Back in 2004 and 2005 it wasn't bad, but that was the last year things were small. The problem is that most of the guidebooks still say December is a great time for crowds. Basically any time beginning Thanksgiving week until after New Year's is going to be crowded now, though Christmas week and Thanksgiving week remain the most crowded of those times. There's really not an "non-crowded" time at all any more. Even in January it's become incredibly popular with South American tour groups (their summer vacation) which boosts crowds. Now you just have to expect crowds and roll with it.

BellesRose
12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
It was 2005 when I started going back to Disney for the first time since childhood and it was perfect back then. It's sad now, I rarely go and I won't renew my passes. I just have to wonder how it's more busy now, even with this horrible economy.

SandmanGStefani24
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
It was 2005 when I started going back to Disney for the first time since childhood and it was perfect back then. It's sad now, I rarely go and I won't renew my passes. I just have to wonder how it's more busy now, even with this horrible economy.

the economy isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. while it isn't exactly great now, it has improved to the point where those people who were putting off vacations are now taking them. thats why i figure the crowds are bigger now then they have been.

Twinsowner
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I say Kill Free Dining!!! even though it saved my family 1800 dollars last month..I would rather pay for food than fight crowds. Goodbye dicsounts!!! Go Away!!

BellesRose
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
the economy isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. while it isn't exactly great now, it has improved to the point where those people who were putting off vacations are now taking them. thats why i figure the crowds are bigger now then they have been.
The economy is 10 times worse than in 2005, at least for everyone I know. I still have family and friends losing jobs and everyone I know is cutting back more and more. I know they say the economy is getting better for some, but I don't know who they are or where they live, because it's definitely not where I'm from.

I just wonder how the crowds will be in the summer. Will they be larger than ever? Or will they sort of even out more now?

dulyjs
12-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I say Kill Free Dining!!! even though it saved my family 1800 dollars last month..I would rather pay for food than fight crowds. Goodbye dicsounts!!! Go Away!!

Yeah, I'm kind of two minds about it as well. It's great to be able to eat free. In fact it's almost too much food. (I won't mention the little bout of food poisoning I got at Tangierine Cafe. :sick:) But the crowds are a downer.

crltkcagle
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
My neighbors went during this time last year as well. They used to work in Disney World and thought for sure the first and second week of December wouldn't be crowded. They were wrong. They said it was extremely packed and would never visit at that time of year again. When they worked there several years ago it was not packed during the first two weeks. Guess things have changed.

KennyandKim
12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
We are actually hoping for free dining on our September 2011 trip because we are big eaters and we had dining on our last trip but it wasn't free. I couldn't imagine paying for our meals OOP. We are a family that has to have a sit down dinner. My DH is a snacker too. On our Sept trip we are staying Club level so hopefully that helps with his snacking because we still paid OOP for snacks with the dining plan.

I really wanted to see DW with Christmas decorations and lights but DON'T want to fight the crowds so we are planning a September 2011 trip for our twin DDs 16 birthday

Janmac
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
We historically visited WDW in either early December or January, since 1988, really enjoying light crowds and mostly mild weather.

Our early December 2006 trip was crowded. So crowded we decided no more. We also had some very cold weather - Typhoon Lagoon was closed one day. We never took our coats off at supper at Concourse Steakhouse. That kind of stuff.

For our 2008 trip we decided to experiment with early September, being somewhat concerned about the heat and hurricanes. Crowd levels were much lighter, even with free dining, than our Dec. 06 trip. We liked September, even with the heat and a few heavy rain days due to hurricane bands moving across Florida (hurricane was actually in the Gulf over by Louisiana).

For our 2010 trip we went in late January. I am not sure why we went in January this year, unless it was because we were really needing a Disney trip/fix. :D Crowd levels were better than our Dec. 06 trip but maybe a bit more than our Sept 08 trip.

For 2012 we're thinking of either late September or early October, if we can wait that long. ;)

Our most crowded trip was June 2004.

Jan

Daisy'sMom
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Seems it's always busy now. I know we usually go over at least once a month and never see much change in the crowds. Going next Saturday, don't know what park yet. But going with a mindset that it will be busy.:mickey:

MarkC
01-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I did just see a good overhead shot of the Magic Kingdom (castle area) watching a football game on ABC. Did not look busy at all today, but I realize I saw just a small segment of the park. This should be the start of a slower month, but you never know.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
As others have noted, things have grown. Back in 2004 and 2005 it wasn't bad, but that was the last year things were small. The problem is that most of the guidebooks still say December is a great time for crowds. Basically any time beginning Thanksgiving week until after New Year's is going to be crowded now, though Christmas week and Thanksgiving week remain the most crowded of those times. There's really not an "non-crowded" time at all any more. Even in January it's become incredibly popular with South American tour groups (their summer vacation) which boosts crowds. Now you just have to expect crowds and roll with it.

Any specifics on the dates in January, or pretty much the whole month?

Strmchsr
01-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Any specifics on the dates in January, or pretty much the whole month?

Pretty much the whole month and into early February.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks!

#1donaldfan
01-02-2011, 09:50 AM

I would much rather "save" $$'s than spend 'em !! We typically go in June which is hot and crowded, I suppose we're just used to it being crowded. We know how to set our days and nights up logistically speaking so we feel the crowds don't hurt that much....but to say get rid of free dinning and spend more outta pocket.....NO WAY....I like my money.....hahahaahha......:cool:

Granny Jill A
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm scratching my head about this obsession with "free dining". With a few notable exceptions, the food at WDW is mediocre at best. The "free" option comes at a price - you are spending an inordinate amount of time planning meals, you're eating way too much food, AND you're dealing with larger crowds.

I love WDW, but I don't go there to eat :D

disneyboundagain
01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Another vote here to kill the free dining offers! We have free dining for our Feb trip, and we are already planning on having at least 3 dinners outside of the parks. Considering how much the food has gone down hill over the past few years, I really don't care if we end up having unused points.

brownie
01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I always thought it was the first 2 weeks of December that were less busy and it started getting busier in the parks after that.