PDA

View Full Version : Paperboy in Spaceship Earth

Altair
12-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Has there ever been a reason given why the paperboy was placed way in the back and facing the wrong direction? It just looks odd.
My guess would be there is a problem with the workings of his face and they don't want to fix it. :medic:

DizneyRox
12-29-2010, 08:23 PM
My guess would be there is a problem with the workings of his face and they don't want to fix it. :medic:
Cheap is always high on the list with Disney...

Victor Kelly
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM
They changed the voice as well. It used to be higher pitched.

GBBT
12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah,thought that was weird too.:(

JPL
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I heard an interview with one of the Imagineers who worked on the refurb and he said the figures were so poorly maintained by operations that alot of them had to be totally scrapped and they didn't have the budget to repair or replace alot of them. If you notice in some scenes there are fewer figures. So my guess is they turned him around so they could still use him in the scene without spending any money to repair him.

SandmanGStefani24
12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
does he even have a face? :D

tried really hard to see last time and don't think he has one lol...

crltkcagle
12-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't even notice this! I will have to look for him on our next trip.

ShanPooh
12-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Oh that would be just spooky!!!

samanthastanky
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes! He's in a corner like he's being punished! :mickey:

Crow
12-31-2010, 09:25 PM
yea i noticed after t refurb he was turned around

Zone Stop
12-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Also, if you'll notice, you're actually "behind" the printing press, in an alley - he's facing the street!

Altair
12-31-2010, 09:35 PM
yea i noticed after t refurb he was turned around

The first move was to just turn him around. Now they have him turned backwards and moved way to the back. I guess the next stop is the junk pile.:(

MickeysBestPal
01-01-2011, 01:48 AM
He's got the same face/head as the son in Carousel of Progress.

(They reuse a lot of Animatronic figures wherever they can.)

I don't know that it would have been much of a problem to simply replace the head, if it was just a "technical difficulties" mechanical issue.

I'm thinking that it might have been strictly a conscience design decision to face him the other way after the scene was reworked.

DizneyRox
01-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, there were reports after the refurb of him being moved to his present location, then shortly after that he was moved back to his original location and now back again. This points to there being some type of problem.

It is an odd location to have him if you ask me. I don't think he's a required element for that scene really, unless his audio track is necessary for some reason. It would be odd to hear his calls without seeing him.

Imagineer1981
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
it definitely looks odd, but hey until they bring back Jeremy Irons its just not the same ( I loved Walter too, but Jeremy's voice was just perfect)

Granny Jill A
01-04-2011, 01:15 PM
it definitely looks odd, but hey until they bring back Jeremy Irons its just not the same ( I loved Walter too, but Jeremy's voice was just perfect)

Yes! I want Jeremy back as well. I also want them to clean up the muddy sound system. I thought it was my old ears, but my daughter said she noticed the bad sound on the ride.

And, I'm not a fan of the interactive screens at the end of the ride. I loved watching the lights and listening to the soothing music as I drifted back to earth.

Granny Jill A
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes! He's in a corner like he's being punished! :mickey:

That's what I thought when I rode it last year. I remember he used to face the cars.