PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Advice, Please

clausjo
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Okay, I know that this is an entirely objective question, but here goes anyway.

We have reservations at the CBR in a pirate room for our upcoming trip - only 34 days away!:cloud9: For approximately $285 more, we can upgrade to AKL. We've never stayed at either resort, or a deluxe for that matter. When we came at the same time last year, we spend a decent amount of time at the hotel, and am planning on trying to do the same this year. My concerns with CBR are how far away the pirate rooms are and I've read some negative things about the bus service. I'm not sure how it compares at AKL. Usually I drive so I don't have to rely on the busses if we don't want to. We recently relocated out of FL so this will be my first time without a car. It will be me, my DS 11, and my DD 8.

All thoughts and recommendations are welcome! :mickey:

markyv
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
From someone who just stayed at CBR, I wouldn't hestitate to go to AKL. The only thing to keep in mind, is that you won't have to wait as long to get a bus, but you will probably spend more time on a bus due to AKL being out of the way to every park but AK.

We stayed at CBR in Nov. and had to wait over an hour for a bus to pick us up at the Magic Kingdom. Plus the huge size of the resort makes for undesirable amounts of people on the buses that you do get on.

Funforall
12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
We've stayed at both and would recommend both. But anytime you can stay deluxe definitely do it. If you can do it savannah is the way to go. Akl Is beautiful

Buttercup
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Actually, it's a subjective question... :fresh: but I'll try to be as objective as possible for you! :D

I too have reservations coming up for CBR and have heard the same complaints as you regarding the bus system & size of resort.

I have stayed several times at Fort Wilderness, which is such a large resort that it has its own internal bus system. So I'm no stranger to large, expansive resorts, and I don't mind them at all. Have you ever stayed at Fort Wilderness? If so, did it bother you? That is the first thing I would consider. Each of the buildings at CBR has its own quiet pool, so you don't have far to go if you just want to relax poolside. As well, each building has its own bus-stop, which can be a positive or a negative I guess. You really would be only walking to the main building for food, etc. and from what I've heard, the stroll is actually quite lovely at CBR.

But again, because I've never stayed there personally (yet), I'm just going off of hearsay.

So yes, you might have a longer busride with CBR because of all the internal stops at the resort itself, but you will have a long busride at AKL since it is so far from all the parks. I don't think the buses can be the determining factor.

I would probably base my decision on these two factors:
- is the added cost of AKL in your budget?
- which theming do you like better?

disneymom15
12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Daughter and I stayed at CBR several years ago, would not stay there again.
In Dec we stayed at AKL and loved it. I didn't think the bus transportation was all that long. Took a bit longer but nothing to be concerned about. For the little extra money, I would say AKL. We had room #1484. It was right by the pool, hot tub, animal viewing spots, Mara, and near the fitness center.

mom2morgan
12-29-2010, 02:40 PM
How many days do you have? We couldn't decide between CBR and AKL for our next trip, so we've decided to do both! But it you don't want the hassle of moving, I'd say a deluxe always wins over a moderate. I'm personally looking forward to trying both - my hubby wants to lounge in the hammocks at CBR and my daughter is excited about the animals at AKL.

TysMomTink
12-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Well if you don't mind spending the extra money, AKL is the way to go. We stayed in CBR lastSept (09) and enjoyed it. It was a far walk to get to the main building. I cannot comment on bus service because we had our car.

However this September we stayed at AKL and it was magnificent! We absolutely loved the resort. I loved having everything under one roof. We were steps away from everything. Our room overlooked the pool but on the otherside as we walked to/fro we could see animals out the windows. Really felt like we were getting away from it all. We used the busses this time around even though we had our car and found no problems at all with waiting, etc. We're the type who enjoy the resort as well as the parks (it's all part of the vacation experience to us) so the deluxe $ is definitely worth it!!

CaptSmee
12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
It's just my opinion, but we have stayed at CBR about 6 times and have never encountered a problem with the buses. They seem to run more frequently here than at any other resort. They also do not share a line with other resorts, like some buses do. They also have an internal resort shuttle that gets you from place to place if you don't feel like walking.

I would stick with what you got, the pirate rooms look neat and plan on staying at AKL (which is a marvelous resort) on another trip in the future.

forever a child
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I would go with whatever your kids would like best. If you think they would prefer the pirate rooms...then I would stay at CBR. If you think the would enjoy the animals more....go with AKL. Or do a split stay like a PP mentioned. Either way, I think you will win. $285 may not seem like a lot...but it will cover a lot of shopping or dining if your kids are happy with the pirate rooms!

PrettyMinnie
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I agree that it really depends on what your kids would like, but IMO I would upgrade. I would welcome an upgrade especially at such a small difference between the two prices. But either ways its Disney and you will have a wonderful stay! Enjoy!

:minnie:

Disney4us2
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
We just stayed at CBR this month. Loved the resort grounds, food court was ok. The busses were not that bad. We got on at Old Port Royal stop. Only one time I was denied borarding because the bus was full and I was on an ECV. That was understandable. The pirate rooms (Trinidad North) were usually the last to be picked up with the busses as well.

What I didn't like was how the Custom House was not part of the resort.

If I was in your position I would upgrade to AKL, I hear it is awsome.

Cinderelley
12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
If you do not think you need to use the money elsewhere, I would go with AKL. You never know when/if this opportunity will come again. If you need to use the money elsewhere, stick with CBR.

I am not a big fan of CBR, but I have not stayed there since the refurbishment. Even though I didn't like that particular resort, the trip was a great one. You'll have fun no matter where you stay.

BugeyedMuggy
12-31-2010, 06:27 AM
I would upgrade in a heartbeat. Especially for that price. We have been to both. The difference between a mod and deluxe is well worth the $$ if you can swing it.